Looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'PTSD and Mental Health Conditions' started by BEDevil, Feb 10, 2017.

1. BEDevil

BEDevil Registered Member

I'm currently on active duty AF with over a year left on my contract that puts me at 14 as an E7. I'm medically coded for 31 non-deployable etc. and in treatment for PTSD. The last year is when the wheels fell off for me frankly. I already had a diagnosis of hypothyroid that I still managed to deploy on without medical approval. Since my return I've also been diagnosed with sleep apnea and referred to treatment for alcohol abuse and my records show tobacco addition or something similar. I've made it clear to my leadership that this is my last year- when the wheels fell off I was fired from a series of positions, received paperwork, etc. Presently it is months later on the 6th medication increase that I have finally gotten weapon reinstatement against medical advice by my chain of command. My goal was to make it to the end of the tunnel at least for the next year and change and then work through the VA from there and continue treatment. My treatment team has made it known to me that they are not presently acting in any way towards a PEB although I have my active diagnosis.

After all that backstory the bottom line is that I really don't want to do it anymore. I hate to admit failure but I honestly don't think I can last another year and change with the stink of failure on me riding the bench. I've trolled the forums and feel I have a good case for my diagnosis being combat related and have enough else 'wrong' with me to feel confident of 100% VA, but I don't know what the best way of pulling the plug is. I've filled out a thousand forms and avoided the hell out of saying I was suicidal or homicidal to protect ever having a security clearance in the future, and that's been generally true along the way but every day is a struggle especially with that feeling of the stink on me. Is it as easy as admitting that for anyone with experience? I've been trying to be as honest as possible this whole time in treatment, but not so honest that I couldn't ride it out to the end. Should I just be asking for a MEB/PEB at this point? How?

Any advice from some of you more experienced ladies and gentlemen would be greatly appreciated.

2. gsfowler

gsfowler Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

One year left on contract and more than likley no chance of reenlistment, I would request a PEB.

3. tony292

tony292 PEB Forum Veteran

Definitely ask your mental health doctor for a MEB. The process can take 6 months to a year and you'll walk away with some benefits. Not too much to ask considering the many years you put in.

4. sparky_wulf

sparky_wulf PEB Forum Veteran Registered Member

Lay it all out on the table. Don't hold back comments about homicidal/suicidal issues (if there are any). Just be completely open and honest. I have told my docs some absolutely crazy things including suicidal and extreme paranoia. I still have a security clearance.