Medboard for Brugada Syndrome

Discussion in 'Cardiac Conditions' started by nelpak, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM.

1. nelpak

nelpak Registered Member

I am in the National Guard. From 2012-2014 I was on ADOS (Title 32) Orders. Towards the end of the orders I developed heart issues. Initially, while I was still on orders I was diagnosed with Recurrent Pericarditis, but the doctors said there may be more problems including Burgada Syndrome. After the diagnosis, my orders were cut due to state budget cuts. I filed with the VA (for pericarditis and other knee and back issues) and received a rating in December of 2015. I was able to use the VA to go back to a cardiologist and was finally diagnosed with Brugada syndrome. I received an AICD the following month. I filed with the VA for brugada syndrome with AICD implant and received a 100% T&P rating.

Since March of last year I have been playing a back and forth game with my unit trying to get all the paperwork, NCOERs and Contract Extensions needed for a MEDBoard. Hopefully all my paperwork will be current this drill so I can finally get my packet to State and start the process.

My questions are:
    - Can the medboard process affect my VA rating if I am found fit for duty?
    - Since I wasn't officially diagnosed with Brugada Syndrome, it was only suspected while on orders, could that effect it being considered occurring while on active duty?
    - Could this be enough to medically retire me since I have not reached the 15-20 year mark?

Other information:
    - I have not actually had an episode where my heart has stopped. For some reason unknown to doctors, I have had episodes where I have had passed out for sometimes a few hours only to be shaken awake, sometimes violently by my wife. Just light headed, fluttering heart, then poof, people are yelling and shaking me.
    - I have been in the Guard since 2006, and have 3, almost 4 years of active duty time.

2. gsfowler

gsfowler Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

This is going to be a tough one, prepare for a fight. While you were on the Title 32 orders, did you get a LOD for the cardiac condition?

The time that the implant was installed is pretty close to the end of your orders. Did you file with the VA within 12 months from being separated? Was the initial pericarditis award effective the date after you were released from active duty?

Your T&P rating is just that, total and permanent. It will not be taken away if you go though a MEB with the guard.

Here is a good read: http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/sudden-cardiac-arrest-icd.7371/

nelpak likes this.
  3. nelpak

nelpak Registered Member

I do have approved LODs for both the pericarditis and brugada syndrome. The initial pericarditis LOD was awarded when I was on title 32 orders, the brugada syndrome and AICD was approved about a year and a half after my orders were cut.

I initially filed with the VA about a month before my orders ended, everyone figured with the cuts ADOS would be the first to go. It was a tough year and I was unable to afford insurance until the VA processed my claim. As soon as I received the AICD for the brugada, I gave all the paperwork to my unit, and it took about 2 months for me to get the approved LOD and permanent profile from the state. The profile is a dead-mans profile with the only thing I am able to do is wear a uniform and boots, no PT, no heat, no driving of government vehicles, no lifting.