Received PDBR Letter

Discussion in 'Physical Disability Board of Review' started by ultrapc1969, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:32 PM.

1. ultrapc1969

ultrapc1969 Registered Member

I have been out since Oct 2005 and was given 10% for my DDD Lumbar back and not even rated for the radiopath down my left side as well as nothing for my operational botched left shoulder (ulner nerve damage with constant pain and abduction of ring and pinkey finger) was give a 0 rating. During the PEB ]I had to even fight to get them to understand that I was left handed on the PEB they stated I was right handed. I even had to fight with the VA and provide proof with my initial enlistment contract stating left handed. I understand the program has been around since 2009 and I am just now hearing about it and getting a certified letter. I sent packet back on 14 Feb 2017 lets see how long it takes. Not sure if anything will come of it. Someone tell me how does this work.

The VA gave me a rating in 2006 (Nov 2005 VA appts)
    VA PEB
    Dysthymic Disorder 50% Not even considered by PEB
    Degenerative DDD Lumbar 40% 10%
    Left Shoulder Acrominoplasty 40% Never even considered by PEB
    Lumbar radiopathy, left lower 10% Never even considered by PEB
    brachial plexpathy, left upper extremity 10% Never even considered by PEB
    (a 0% rating for left shoulder)

2. Keebs

Keebs Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

Hello and welcome to the board! Read as many threads as you can as most of the questions you will have others have already provided really useful information! So make yourself at home and take a look around about how the process has been for other veterans!

So the PDBR will get records from places you signed a release for as well as your military medical records. They will review everything and make a recommendation based on what information they have. They then send that recommendation to your branch of service for them to either approve or deny. You will then receive notification. It is a very long process, taking 2 years or more on average right now.

The recommendations are either that no the military didn't make a mistake so don't change anything. Or they can decide that yes they did make a mistake and provide a new rating. The rating may or may not result in retirement though, you still have to meet the 30% threshold.

I hope this helps!!

3. ultrapc1969

In my book 2 years is not that long..I just never understood the whole medical process and getting this in the mail just threw me for a loop. I tried to fight it on AD but it fell on death ears and the only thing on their mind was getting folks out as fast as possible back then. The question I have is what you get your are medically RET you get the 30 medical ret and you get to keep your VA benefits as well.

4. ultrapc1969

In my book 2 years is not that long..I just never understood the whole medical process and getting this in the mail just threw me for a loop. I tried to fight it on AD but it fell on death ears and the only thing on their mind was getting folks out as fast as possible back then. The question I have is what you get your are medically RET you get the 30 medical ret and you get to keep your VA benefits as well.

5. Keebs

Keebs Staff Member PEB Forum Veteran

So with retirement pay comes a whole set of rules and then exceptions for those rules.

The broad rule is that if your VA Compensation is higher than your retirement pay then you only get the VA pay. If your retirement pay is higher than your VA pay you will receive the retirement pay. Which ever scenario is most beneficial for you is the compensation you will receive. Now there are CRDP and CRSC pay that you could be eligible for and you can read about those requirements on DFAS website.

The board was formed because the military got caught under rating people and disabilities and ignoring some conditions all together and even intentionally using the wrong diagnosis to rate them. So this board is an attempt to right those wrongs.

6. ultrapc1969

Thanks great info will look it up