Syringomyelia

Discussion in 'Spine and Back' started by 1911, May 18, 2017.

1. 1911

1911 Registered Member

15 year AD AF. Had back pain, leg pain, dizziness, seeing stars sometimes with straining, random bouts of insane pain in my back and neck, as well as headaches. Issues kept up for several years. Docs did exams, x rays, physical therapy, muscle relaxers, TENS unit, the works. Nothing worked. Kept being told that I was just out of shape, had one thinning disk that shouldn't be causing me any pain. Kept going back, eventually after I bitched enough, they gave me an MRI. Found syrinx in t9 to l1. Doc didn't know much about it, refered me to Neuro, got exam, said it's just chronic back issues, and the syrinx is congenital. Not causing me pain. I fought the answers they were giving me, citing how the pain meds, thereapy, fitness profiles were not doing anything to improve the issue, and how my symptoms were consistent with syringomyelia. And these symptoms have gotten progressively worse since I was diagnosed in 2013. My PCM says that I am not a candidate for an retirement, since I am able to do some work. They have me as deployable even though I could have an episode of crippling pain from something as simple as a hard cough. He has structured my profiles as to avoid being on the radar for an meb, since if I did, they would probably just separate me instead of retire. That would be a hell of a waste for me and my family. Do I have any recourse? Is my PCM just ignorant? Any advice would be wonderfully, thanks.

2. chaplaincharlie

chaplaincharlie PEB Forum Veteran Registered Member

I think your PCM has your back. Syringomyelia is most often congenital.

3. 1911

1911 Registered Member

I get that he has my back on keeping me from just being cut loose, but I'm referencing the continued answer I get that's it's asymptomatic, and that even though there is no damage to my back other than the syrinx, that it's not the cause of my pain. I'm just confused. Even the Neuro guys didn't seem to be entirely convinced since a look at my records today showed they said "most likely not the cause". The issues are just getting worse, and there are times that just holding my baby puts me on edge because I'm afraid that the wrong movement will put my already consistent pain levels through the roof.

4. chaplaincharlie

chaplaincharlie PEB Forum Veteran Registered Member

I'm sorry you are in pain sometime and afraid the pain will return at other times. You mentioned an MRI. Was it a full cord MRI?

Congratulations on a new baby. How long ago was your baby born?

There are techniques to help deal with pain.