100 rating for PTSD and places on PDRL

oceantrav

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just got my ratings back, says 100% and permenent. Then also says caused by combat.

What now?

Is my rating safe for ever now? Unlike with the VA? If I loose my 100% with the VA ever, then I can fall back onto 75% of my base pay? Will it be tax free and not count as income since combat related?

Assuming i qualify for CRSC now. From what I read though, I’ll only get a small amount, since I have 3 years active and 12 guard.

Learnt a ton of information from this board over the years though!

If its permanent, you will always be 100%. No further exams.

Nice.

Trying to make sure I understand the CRSC correctly.

So I’m 100% with the VA (100 ptsd 10 tinnitus). Not PT.

So I’m getting about $3300 from the VA. I’m an e5 so say 75% of my base is $2500. I’ll get the VA over the 75% since it’s more.

I then can get CrSC since it’s combat. Since I only have 3 active rest reserve, it would be something like .025x3x3000 for about $225. So I’d get an additional $225 a month tax free on top of my VA pay?

Now say my PTSD from the VA is reduced from 100% to 50%, and I am only getting 60% VA (50ptsd, 10 tininuts). Which would be around $1300 a month. At that point would I switch to my retirement pay of $2500 and and not draw anything from the VA? Would this amount be tax free?

Sorry for the drawn out post. Just trying to really understand possible scenarios so I can plan accordingly.

-Matt

Do you qualify for AD Retirement. Meaning, do you have 7200 point in your ad column. If not you won't get retired pay until you are 60. Are you sure you are 100P&T

If you are 100% permanent on DOD side with a combat rating, then all of your DOD pay will be tax free as well as any pay you get from VA. The CRSC may not even matter but it really depends on your particular situation.

PDRL, does not mean your VA ratings are all permanent - I made that mistake!

You should apply for CRSC, but I suggest you pay an attorney to review your claim upfront. Lots of combat related PTSD claims are denied!

Do you qualify for AD Retirement. Meaning, do you have 7200 point in your ad column. If not you won't get retired pay until you are 60. Are you sure you are 100P&T

I have 15 years guard, with 3 of those being activated. So no where near 7200 points.

What do you mean by I wouldn’t get retired pay till 60? I’m 32, so if I lost my VA rating today, I wouldn’t get any retirement from my medical retirement until I’m 60? 28 years from now..

PDRL, does not mean your VA ratings are all permanent - I made that mistake!

You should apply for CRSC, but I suggest you pay an attorney to review your claim upfront. Lots of combat related PTSD claims are denied!

I know that PDRL does not mean my VA ratings are permenent. I anticipate my VA rating being reduced in 2019 if anything.

I read about CRSC claims being denied for PTSD often. I’ll take my chances though. My DA199 says it resulted from a combat-related injury under the provisions of 26 USC 104 or 10 USC 10216, and then a line saying incurred in the line of duty in combat with an enemy of the US...caused by an instrumentality of war...Also have a CIB detailing combat etc.

NG members usually get retired pay at age 60. Some exceptions. Medical retirement means you will get tricare benefits right away.

NG members usually get retired pay at age 60. Some exceptions. Medical retirement means you will get tricare benefits right away.

Not sure. I was under the impression since my conditions occurred while active, and that I went threw the MEB like a normal active soldier, it would be no different. Guess I have to research more.

Any one know for sure?

Nice.

Trying to make sure I understand the CRSC correctly.

So I’m 100% with the VA (100 ptsd 10 tinnitus). Not PT.

So I’m getting about $3300 from the VA. I’m an e5 so say 75% of my base is $2500. I’ll get the VA over the 75% since it’s more.

I then can get CrSC since it’s combat. Since I only have 3 active rest reserve, it would be something like .025x3x3000 for about $225. So I’d get an additional $225 a month tax free on top of my VA pay?

Now say my PTSD from the VA is reduced from 100% to 50%, and I am only getting 60% VA (50ptsd, 10 tininuts). Which would be around $1300 a month. At that point would I switch to my retirement pay of $2500 and and not draw anything from the VA? Would this amount be tax free?

Sorry for the drawn out post. Just trying to really understand possible scenarios so I can plan accordingly.

-Matt

If 75% of your base pay is $2500.00, all you are going to receive pay wise is your VA C&P award of $3300.00.

To be eligible for CRSC, the condition(s) must be combat related per the CRSC rules. You must also apply for CRSC and it must be granted by your branch of service (not automatic).

Read this: http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/crsc.html

Oceantrav,

As stated by GSFowler, one must apply for CRSC (to their service); it is not automatic.
CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees with less than 20 years service is the lesser of
a. dollar amount of the length of service portion of the retired pay
or
b. dollar amount for the CRSC percentage approved by the service (VA compensation tables are used to determinate that rate)
Note 1: The CRSC rate determined will be reduced by any residual retired pay after the VA offset
Note 2: Number of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360.

1. If your gross retired pay is $2500 @ 75%, then $2500/0.75 = $3333.33 Average high three base pay for retirement
2. If your points (see note 2 above) convert to 3 years AD, then 3 x 2.5% = 7.5% multiplier
3. High three $3333.33 x 0.075 = ~$250 dollar amount of length of service portion of retired pay
4. A comparison would be made between the $250 and the dollar amount of CRSC approved by service (using VA comp tables to determine amount). In most cases where a Chapter 61 retiree has only a few years AD, the LOS portion of the retirement becomes the CRSC.
5. Assuming your CRSC application was approved, you would receive your VA comp + $250. All your retired pay would be waived (offset by amount of VA comp)

Oceantrav,

As stated by GSFowler, one must apply for CRSC (to their service); it is not automatic.
CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees with less than 20 years service is the lesser of
a. dollar amount of the length of service portion of the retired pay
or
b. dollar amount for the CRSC percentage approved by the service (VA compensation tables are used to determinate that rate)
Note 1: The CRSC rate determined will be reduced by any residual retired pay after the VA offset
Note 2: Number of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360.

1. If your gross retired pay is $2500 @ 75%, then $2500/0.75 = $3333.33 Average high three base pay for retirement
2. If your points (see note 2 above) convert to 3 years AD, then 3 x 2.5% = 7.5% multiplier
3. High three $3333.33 x 0.075 = ~$250 dollar amount of length of service portion of retired pay
4. A comparison would be made between the $250 and the dollar amount of CRSC approved by service (using VA comp tables to determine amount). In most cases where a Chapter 61 retiree has only a few years AD, the LOS portion of the retirement becomes the CRSC.
5. Assuming your CRSC application was approved, you would receive your VA comp + $250. All your retired pay would be waived (offset by amount of VA comp)

Thanks for breaking that down, I was under the impression that’s how it works.

Can you confirm if I am correct on my assumption regarding receiving retired pay if I lost my VA pay?

If my retired pay is $2500, then VA is $3300. I’ll get the $3300 VA, then a few hundred for CRSC If approved. If say next year though, they reduce my va rating from 100% to 0%, would I then be able to collect the $2500 a month from my medical retirement, regardless of length of service, and age?

What I’m trying to determine, is what the least amount I will receive going foward. Medical retirement is PDRL, VA isn’t permanent and total

Oceantrav,

Re: "If my retired pay is $2500, then VA is $3300. I’ll get the $3300 VA, then a few hundred for CRSC If approved. If say next year though, they reduce my va rating from 100% to 0%, would I then be able to collect the $2500 a month from my medical retirement, regardless of length of service, and age?"

If I remember correctly, you are a Chapter 61 retiree. If that is correct, the following would occur in the scenario you presented:

1. Retired pay is currently $2500 and since your VA comp is $3300, all your retired pay is waived (in order to receive VA comp). The result = you receive $3300 a month

2. If your your VA rating was reduced to zero, then none of your retired pay would be waived. The result = you receive $2500 a month

3. An easy way to determine what occurs is that a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 service waives/loses retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. If you receive no VA comp, then you have no waiver (you receive you DoD disability retirement of $2500).

4. Approved CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired retired pay for combat related disabilities. I explained the features of CRSC as it applies to Chapter 61 retirees earlier in this thread. If one has zero waiver (i.e., no VA comp), then they are ineligible for CRSC.

RonG is an expert in CRSC. He has helped countless veterans understand this confusing benefit.

Thanks for all you do Ron.

Kontum6870,

Thank you...long time no see.

Ron

RonG is an expert in CRSC. He has helped countless veterans understand this confusing benefit.

Thanks for all you do Ron.

Yes Deffinitly sounds like a confusing benefit. Guess I’ll apply soon and hope for the best.

One last question. If I was to only collect the medical retirement and no VA pay, would the medical retirement be tax free and not counted as income since everything on my 199 is caused by “combat”?

The answer is yes, tax free. I should add and I am not an expert on medical retirements, but as you probably know, VA compensation is non-taxable and often it is more than the medical disability pay. CRSC, which we have discussed, replaces some or all of the waived retired pay for approved combat related disabilities.

Good luck,