16 year Reservist MEB Started...but AF claiming NILOD. Expectations??

HerniatedDiscs

Registered Member
5 years AD, 11 years Reserves mostly IMA. I have all of the paperwork showing my back injury is military including military hospital records on 5 week orders...I got regular epidurals which helped up until 2 years ago when I became debilitated and epidurals stopped helping. I had back surgery which didn’t help in 2016.

However, because of new rules not allowing LODs to be filed after so many days after the orders end, the military is claiming EPTS. I had to file for exacerbation after having to drive 5 hours for drills and other orders since it set me back directly after having back surgery. They just came back NILOD and I’ll be appealing. Simultaneously USAFR started the MEB process as my back injury is serious and I am now permanently messed up.

Now USAFR docs are asking questions about my tramadol meds and previous IBS diagnosis. I am 60% disabled vet per VA, 20% for back and 10% for sciatica as a secondary to my back, and have reason to believe will get sleep disturbances as a secondary next week.

Considering my NILOD status, what are my chances of a medical retirement and what other things should I be cautious about during this process??
Thank you.

Same boat with you. I did 11 years USN active and currently have 6 years USNR. Just got my ipeb findings back and they made me NPQ but did not give ratings because " it is not proximate that it is military related." I have all the paper work in the world stating it is BUT it seems I need a LOD. I'm gonna try to see if my unit could write one but I'm not to confident. Did your unit write you a LOD?

I hope you have lawyered up! As long as the NILOD stands you will not get what you desire. There are things you can do beyond medical records. Like written statements from coworkers that may have witnessed your injury or visited you while in medical care for your injury.

I hope you have lawyered up! As long as the NILOD stands you will not get what you desire. There are things you can do beyond medical records. Like written statements from coworkers that may have witnessed your injury or visited you while in medical care for your injury.
I have a meeting on Wednesday. I didn't think about statements. I have talked with several unit members including officers regarding my conditions.

I'm sorry, what does NILOD mean?

The original
post talks about Not In (the) Line of Duty.

I have a meeting on Wednesday. I didn't think about statements. I have talked with several unit members including officers regarding my conditions.

Glad you very able to make contact and hopefully bolster your case.

Glad you very able to make contact and hopefully bolster your case.
I hope so. I’m trying to get a LOD requested for something that happened on a drill weekend in April of this year. Just inside the 180 day window. Hopefully I can use it when I attend my Formal board.

Good luck!
VA just came back with a surprising 70% insomnia as secondary to a TBI and total of 90% but I still have no clue about the MEB or LOD reconsideration. Not hopeful but maybe there is a chance with the new rating added.

Those statements should help with your LOD request.