19 years and broken

520EMO

Registered Member
I am hoping for some sane guidance and information for lack of that anywhere else :eek:

At my 17yr mark, I was deployed with an Infantry BN to Iraq for a year(2007).
Upon return and at my 18yr mark, I resumed my shore tour(2008) and had 3 surgeries during that year. 2 successful, 1(shoulder) questionable. During 2008, I was diagnosed with and in treatment for severe sleep apnea and PTSD.

While my current comand has been relatively supportive of my getting healthy again(2 of the 3 surgeries were from IA injuries and the mental issues w/ the PTSD), I am due to rotate to sea in the near future and my relief's orders are in hand.

I'm not on 'limdu' as all of this is during my current shore tour. I have been told by one of my doctors he will not clear me for sea duty. I've disclosed my challenges openly and my detailer will be cutting USS orders for me within the next 4 weeks because he says I have no other options.

I have some questions and concerns.
I hit 20yrs FEB2010. I am obligated to OCT2012.

I have had 18 months total of limited duty in my past (1995 for 12 months and 2006 for 6 months). I have been told LIMDU is not an option because I have had a total of 18 months of limdu, all of which were for different issues and not relating to my current issues.

When I get these USS orders and do not screen for sea duty, what happens to me? I really don't know who to get help from on this.

Thank you for any feedback.

Welcome aboard...

An easy answer (and the route I took) is to apply for retirement & then seek out MEB. MEB won't discharge you (normally) when your retirement papers are in.

Sound like you qualify for both.

Without being able to go to see, there will probably be an MEB. The Navy MEB/PEB I went to was...well, a mess. There was an amount of confusion and uncertainty between the doctors not knowing what to do for their part and the MEB/PEB separation in the offices (it seems for every other branch, the PEBLO handles everything; at the Naval hospital I went through, the PEBLO only handled the PEB portion) that was hard to deal with.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about how my experience went.

-Guy