Adding disability post MEB retirement

AirForceSeahawk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good afternoon,

I hope this is in the correct thread. I have a question regarding adding sleep apnea post retirement. I was originally med boarded for my back, ended up with an overall 100% TDRL due to my anxiety potentially getting better (rated 50%). I was diagnosed with sleep apnea prior to retirement in November 2017, but after my med board was complete, basically during my outprocessing/terminal leave. I was given a CPAP machine which I use regularly every night. I know the rating should be 50% for the sleep apnea, and have medical records to show the need.

How would I go about adding sleep apnea to my list of disabilities, and upgrading my 100% TDRL to 100% PDRL? I assume the 50% sleep apnea would overrule the 50% temp anxiety rating.

Also, would my entire rating go under a re-review with potential downgrade of other individual ratings?

Thank you

So you are in the wrong board:) PDBR is for those medically discharged between 2001 and 2009.

I am going to move this to the MEB section for better help!

You file a claim with the VA to add sleep apnea. SA would not affect your DoD percentage as it is not considered unfitting by the USAF.

BT, you can now file a fully developed claim and get a VA add very quickly. Google FULLY DEVELOPED CLAIM SITE:VA.GOV

BT, you can now file a fully developed claim and get a VA add very quickly. Google FULLY DEVELOPED CLAIM SITE:VA.GOV
Thank you for your response

I was actually referring to it potentially affecting my VA percentage, not my DOD. I was rated 50% DoD, 100% TDRL VA. When I submit a fully developed claim, will that then potentially affect other individual ratings with possibility of getting less than 100%?

Can't see the VA opening an old claim unless there is the possibility of pyramiding.

...I was actually referring to it potentially affecting my VA percentage, not my DOD. I was rated 50% DoD, 100% TDRL VA. When I submit a fully developed claim, will that then potentially affect other individual ratings with possibility of getting less than 100%?
From all of my experiences with submitting numerous new DoVA disability claims since placement onto the DoD military TDRL in 2014, the DoVA Rating Agency only evaluated the specific medical condition(s)/contention(s) in which I requested to be added to my overall list of DoVA rated disabilities related to my military service.

As such, my DoVA 100% rating issued by the DoVA D-RAS while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process when on military active duty was gradually increased over the past three plus calendar years as a military disabled veteran. This was due to the submission of numerous DoVA disability claims which were eventually approved for military service connection and subsequent specific DoVA ratings.

That all said, currently, I have a DoVA 100% P&T rating with an additional SMC (P-1) rate and a SMC (K-1) rate due to the submission of approved new DoVA disability claims. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited: