Adjustment Disorder news

PEBLO11

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I initially posted this as a response on the DoDI 1332.38 Physical Disability Evaluation 1.2 thread, but thought it was general enough to repost here. We have been instructed to pull every case still in the system, and that includes soldiers on terminal leave, to check if an adjustment disorder was listed on the 3947. If it was, it will be sent to the mental health NARSUM/Addendum writer for them to say if it either acute or chronic; and whether or not it fails retention standards. If it is determined that it is chronic and fails retention standards, a new 3947 will be done and routed to the PEB.
What does that tell me? It makes me think those cases will have the adjustment disorder factored in to the separation disposition. This may affect a lot of soldiers and can certainly mean the difference between separation with pay vs retirement. I would guess the retirement would be TDRL, just as it is in the majority of PTSD cases. So, that is the latest as we have it. That being said, it can change on a dime, and you probably know that. I'll post new information as we get it. This change 2 just came down on 10 April 2013, and was not implemented until a couple of days ago.

A good friend of mine had his FPEB last week. They found his adjustment disorder unfit and put him on TDRL!

I initially posted this as a response on the DoDI 1332.38 Physical Disability Evaluation 1.2 thread, but thought it was general enough to repost here.We have been instructed to pull every case still in the system, and that includes soldiers on terminal leave, to check if an adjustment disorder was listed on the 3947. If it was, it will be sent to the mental health NARSUM/Addendum writer for them to say if it either acute or chronic; and whether or not it fails retention standards. If it is determined that it is chronic and fails retention standards, a new 3947 will be done and routed to the PEB.
What does that tell me? It makes me think those cases will have the adjustment disorder factored in to the separation disposition. This may affect a lot of soldiers and can certainly mean the difference between separation with pay vs retirement. I would guess the retirement would be TDRL, just as it is in the majority of PTSD cases. So, that is the latest as we have it. That being said, it can change on a dime, and you probably know that. I'll post new information as we get it. This change 2 just came down on 10 April 2013, and was not implemented until a couple of days ago.

Well, at least it's a good start for redemption... :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

What qualifies as chronic adjustment disorder? Cause I've been being seen since OCT 12 to now which is almost may 13. So it is over 6 months which is chronic... I'm going through the MEB process phase 1 so this info is great for me that they changed that. Will this be a DQ thing for mental?

It should last longer than 6 months, but there are other factors to it that your BH provider will look at. That being said, if it does not fail retention standards, then it will not change the outcome on the military side for separation. I can tell you that there are a ton of unanswered questions about how this new development will affect soldiers going through the process. We can't get any real answers for a lot at this point. If it is determined to meet retention standards, it will generate a new DA3947 that just needs DCCS signature then will forward to PEB with Addendum of clarification from Behavioral Health NARSUM writer. I've seen quite a number of these addendums and out of the whole bunch, only a couple actually had a fail finding. This is going to be a long process, for the PEB, trying to work out all the details.

Per DoDI 1332.38, all conditions must be covered in the MEB with full clinical data. If you have adjustment disorder, be it chronic or otherwise, insist that it be covered in your MEB with full clinical data.

Mike

I have not had much time to write at length on this point...I have argued this issue before the PEBs and military departments since at least 2009. Bottom line, the case law from the VA ((and the fact that there is a specific rating under the VASRD for Chronic (lasting more than 6 months) Adjustment Disorder)) means that they should have always rated Chronic Adjustment Disorders.

Good advice Mike. That being said, I've not had a single soldier with Adjustment Disorder that didn't get the full write up for his/her condition. That being said, up to this point it has been good just for the VA side of the house. Also, FYI to all. We were told today to stop loading any cases to the PEB with adjustment disorder until they release the "final" word on how they are going to address this on Monday the 29th. The long and short of it is that they did not think this through before throwing it out there. I know that at least 30 soldiers have had their separation orders revoked the day before they were supposed to separate, with no answers of what to tell them from the PEB or anyone else. Basically stay in place and wait. It's insane that they implemented sweeping change like this with so little regard to the consequences on the soldier's end.

Good advice Mike. That being said, I've not had a single soldier with Adjustment Disorder that didn't get the full write up for his/her condition. That being said, up to this point it has been good just for the VA side of the house. Also, FYI to all. We were told today to stop loading any cases to the PEB with adjustment disorder until they release the "final" word on how they are going to address this on Monday the 29th. The long and short of it is that they did not think this through before throwing it out there. I know that at least 30 soldiers have had their separation orders revoked the day before they were supposed to separate, with no answers of what to tell them from the PEB or anyone else. Basically stay in place and wait. It's insane that they implemented sweeping change like this with so little regard to the consequences on the soldier's end.

".... It's insane that they implemented sweeping change like this with so little regard to the consequences on the soldier's end."

So what else is new? :rolleyes:

V/r,
nwlivewire

I am suppose to be retiring on April 30th (on terminal leave ask I type this), and then I got an email stating my orders were revoked do to me having Adj disorder and the regulations on it have changed. Then an hour later I got another email stating that I do have chronic ADJ Disorder but it meets retention standards and attached was a new 3947. They are saying that after I sign it they will send it to PEB to be re rated. They said I will still be on active duty but they don't know if my pay will just continue or I will be retroactively paid because I am 3 days from my separation. So basically what I am getting from this is I might have to wait to be paid active duty pay and I will have to wait to get my new ratings to start getting paid my disability pay which I am rated at 90% right now. So I might have to go awhile before I see any money from either and what about medical insurance now that I might be in limbo with not being in the army and not being retired yet. How is that fair? I also don't get will my 90% get changed due to this new chronic adj disorder. It was originally under depression on my ratings, does that mean my depression rating will change as well. This is a total mess they should have had the people that were this close to being separated just let them continue, then after they started getting paid and had retirement set up then go about getting the chronic ADJ disorder changed.

I am suppose to be retiring on April 30th (on terminal leave ask I type this), and then I got an email stating my orders were revoked do to me having Adj disorder and the regulations on it have changed. Then an hour later I got another email stating that I do have chronic ADJ Disorder but it meets retention standards and attached was a new 3947. They are saying that after I sign it they will send it to PEB to be re rated. They said I will still be on active duty but they don't know if my pay will just continue or I will be retroactively paid because I am 3 days from my separation. So basically what I am getting from this is I might have to wait to be paid active duty pay and I will have to wait to get my new ratings to start getting paid my disability pay which I am rated at 90% right now. So I might have to go awhile before I see any money from either and what about medical insurance now that I might be in limbo with not being in the army and not being retired yet. How is that fair? I also don't get will my 90% get changed due to this new chronic adj disorder. It was originally under depression on my ratings, does that mean my depression rating will change as well. This is a total mess they should have had the people that were this close to being separated just let them continue, then after they started getting paid and had retirement set up then go about getting the chronic ADJ disorder changed.

Wow! I am truly saddened to read about your current life changing event due to the aforementioned change 2.

Best Wishes!

Okay, things got pretty nasty, but true, in an email exchange today (senior leaders) but the story is everything is on hold if you have an adjustment disorder. All PEB actions are essentially frozen on these cases. We aren't allowed to upload any cases to the PEB if adjustment disorder is on the 3947. PEB is rejecting cases that were already there too. There are absolutely no answers to any questions, just "Standby." We have no idea what will happen come Monday, if anything. Sorry folks, but please, please, please, don't blame your PEBLO. We are so out of the loop on this right now it's pissing us all off.

This is clearly not a "PEBLO" problem...this is something that is in the court of APDA/CORB/DPAMM.

Thanks for the update, PEBLO11.

Yeah its pretty crazy they don't know anything, they don't know if they are going to bring me back to my unit or not. I was 2 days away from retirement and on top of that I have my household goods and a lease now. This is just crazy.

I will post up as new info comes out. There will likely be many changes as they "game" this out in real time. Try to stay patient and make sure you are in coms with your PEBLO.

Cool, same thing happened to us last summer. All MEB packets were put on hold while a review took place regarding behavioral health evaluations that took place at JBLM.

I had to deal with the JBLM crap too. All of us had to go back to 2001 and look for all the PTSD cases, etc, etc. Lots of OT for it and computer related blindness. So here is the bad news on the current debacle. Nothing. Yeah, they said we'd get guidance on Monday (today) and of course, nothing materialized. So maybe we'll get some input tomorrow? It's complete crap for so many.

I had to deal with the JBLM crap too. All of us had to go back to 2001 and look for all the PTSD cases, etc, etc. Lots of OT for it and computer related blindness. So here is the bad news on the current debacle. Nothing. Yeah, they said we'd get guidance on Monday (today) and of course, nothing materialized. So maybe we'll get some input tomorrow? It's complete crap for so many.

You know, I have to tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate your participation on this site PEBLO11.

Yeah, the news really sucks for those caught up in this new SNAFU.

But it's PEBLOs like you and S. Robinson that do us justice & bring back timely, useful information.

I'm sure this has got to be frustrating for you all as I know you all care about good, accurate & timely outcomes.

Please keep us in the loop. We need more folks like you and S. Robinson!

V/r,
nwlivewire
retired/enlisted - PDRL 70%
VA - 100% P&T

ps... I'd love to work as a PEBLO. Wonder how/if this is even possible?

Well my adjustment disorder is with depression anxiety insomnia since I can never get a good nights sleep due to med conditions, there's a hint of PTSD the docs said but haven't diagnosed me with it... Just AD so I hope everything works out and thanks peblo's that post and do keep us informed