Advertising and Reporting

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Today, I noticed a new member had posted 5 or so post. All were advertising. I noticed as I hit the report button on each of the post the system made me wait an increasing amount of time. The wait is a real disincentive help rid the site of spam. Off my soap box, that is all.
Mike

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Today, I noticed a new member had posted 5 or so post. All were advertising. I noticed as I hit the report button on each of the post the system made me wait an increasing amount of time. The wait is a real disincentive help rid the site of spam. Off my soap box, that is all.
Mike
Thanks for the input. I will look at the issue. My guess is that it is an internal control built in to the software to keep multiple posts/actions from happening. Ironically, while your efforts were to stop spam, I suspect that the control is to keep automated scripts/bots from making automated mass actions and overwhelming the site (and/or to discourage bots by making it harder for spammers to take automated actions).

I saw and deleted all of the posts you identified, so thanks for that. Not at all to discourage reporting, but, the software normally catches the "spammy posts" automatically and refers them for my review automatically. So, while I still like and appreciate folks reporting obvious spam, it likely is not really needed because of the automated process of identifying and segregating suspicous posts. (The software uses a script that checks posts and users against at least two "spam databases" and also catches keywords and other suspicious indicators, including emails and IP addresses shared with previous or known spammers).

Still, I will look into the permissions system and see if I can grant privileges to individuals or classes of individuals (maybe using time since registration or other criteria) to allow more reporting. Thanks for the effort in identifying spam posts and in posting this thread! I appreciate the help in keeping this site as spam free as possible!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">