Anyone else "found fit" by the IPEB and gone to FPEB?

Ltbarbie

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all, I just got back my IPEB results that very shockingly found me fit. Long story short, I have a SEVERELY disfigured finger on my non-dominant hand that is in constant pain and makes doing any task involving using your hand normally (specifically firing a weapon) difficult. Apparently the PEB thinks I'm totally fine. In any case.... I am meeting with legal tomorrow morning to go over my options with appealing the PEB findings. I have a few questions though that maybe someone who was in a similar situation can help shed some light on:

-In researching appeals and a FPEB, I see that someone "found fit" by the IPEB does not automatically have the right to a formal "in person board" unless the board president says they can.....has anyone had this happen and been told they can't go in person? Or appealed just in writing and had it be OK?

-Has anyone else been "found fit" by the PEB? What was you're experience like? The PEBLO had told me she never had anyone been found fit who didn't want to be, so I'd love to hear more.

I'm not trying to play the system here or anything. Before the MEB even started I had wanted to stay in and do my time (and maybe more so even); but then I got injured at NTC, and the only option the hand surgeon (and then a 2nd surgeon too) gave me was to amputate (as a 3rd surgery might make my finger way worse). I don't understand how the docs can say there is nothing they can do besides amputation, and I'm left with constant pain and this hook of a finger, yet the PEB can say I'm fit!

Thanks for all of your shared experience and advice! This site has been such a help to me and a wealth of info!

-In researching appeals and a FPEB, I see that someone "found fit" by the IPEB does not automatically have the right to a formal "in person board" unless the board president says they can.....has anyone had this happen and been told they can't go in person? Or appealed just in writing and had it be OK?

The Navy is a bit different on this point; they sometimes deny hearings for members found fit. However, the Army grants these hearings (per regulation and policy). (The policy letter uses some language that perhaps leaves some "wiggle room," but, I have not seen these hearings denied). Here is the relevant policy letter:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/ASSET..._for_Soldiers_Determined_Fit_Informal_PEB.pdf

-Has anyone else been "found fit" by the PEB? What was you're experience like? The PEBLO had told me she never had anyone been found fit who didn't want to be, so I'd love to hear more.

I had had a few cases like yours. It is not common, but it does happen. Don't know really what you are asking beyond that...it is not much different than other cases. You will want to present evidence showing you are unfit (but, understand, with a finger injury like yours, it sounds like you will be unlikely to reach a 30% rating needed for retirement).

Hope this helped. Best of luck with a good outcome!

I was found fit by my PEB in 2005 and denied a formal. Since then the Army changed their rules and will usually grant a FPEB to those found fit.

Mike

Thank you gentlemen for this insight! It helps. I just had never heard of anyone (who didn't want to be found fit) of being found fit by the board. I meet with JAG today to go over my options. I didn't want to get out the Army before I started this whole med board process, but I also didn't want to be forced to amputate my finger (which is what will happen if I stay in).

Just to chime in. I am going through my MEB and am very nervous about my results. The reason why is my co-worker was found unfit but just got rating back from PEB and they state this person is fit for duty. Even though they have letters from PCM, Commander and Psych saying they are unfit to do their job some wisdom up above states they are fit for duty. My co-worker is loosing it...and on top of it they already sent it to the CG to sign off on without offering them a FPEB. I don't know what is happening at FT. Sam when they are reviewing but it makes me nervous.

Not only was I found fit, I was rated 100% P&T by the VA a year later when I retired.

Mike

Not only was I found fit, I was rated 100% P&T by the VA a year later when I retired.

Mike

Mike, does that mean you appealed and got unfit later? I don't know what a "P&T" is?

edit--I'm stupid and didn't see you had said "when you retired." So basically they said you were fine and then when you could get out of the service normally you were rated high?

Just to chime in. I am going through my MEB and am very nervous about my results. The reason why is my co-worker was found unfit but just got rating back from PEB and they state this person is fit for duty. Even though they have letters from PCM, Commander and Psych saying they are unfit to do their job some wisdom up above states they are fit for duty. My co-worker is loosing it...and on top of it they already sent it to the CG to sign off on without offering them a FPEB. I don't know what is happening at FT. Sam when they are reviewing but it makes me nervous.

Kiska, I would think that your co-worker has the right to request either written rebuttal or ask for a formal hearing. Her PEBLO should have counseled the Soldier on that and let them sign the paperwork saying yay/nay on it.

Given a CG is involved, is your friend under going dual adjudication? Did he/she actually have a PEB or did a MEB state he/she met retention standards?

Mike

P.S. Yes, once retired a few months after the PEB deemed me fit, I have had a VA rating of 100% P&T (Permanent and Total).

Since I get the terms mixed up I will say that the MEB doctor's said unfit at duty station, then it went to FT. Sam and they stated the soldier was fit for duty. The only adjudication is that they failed ht/wt.