Aortic Valve Replacement

Byron0022

Registered Member
I had my Aortic Valve replaced 4 weeks ago, my surgeon used Talon closure devices which means around 6 weeks my chest bone will be completely healed. Im 37 and in good health and the surgeon is saying around 3 months , possibly a weeks sooner Ill be completely over the procedure. My packet goes to a Med board the first week of Jan. I dont want a rating nor do I want to be seperated. Ive never been through any of this process, can I get some advice as to what to expect? Thank you.

Jason, thank you for writing back. Ive read throught ARs and Regs and Ive found that it states that although my condition would disqualify me from enlisting since Im already in the service I does not automatically mean Im going to be discharged. In Two more weeks my Dr is willing to put me on light duty and I would like to return to duty as such. I guess my question is, whats the odds of a MEd board allowing that. At my age recovery for Aortic Valve replacement is 2 1/2 to 3 months, my Dr has been very clear on that and supports me trying to go back to service. On the other hand, some of the older guys are warning me that the MED board my try to seperate me if I approach them while onlight duty. Thoughts?

Byron0022,

I think the likelihood of returning to duty will depend on a number of factors. The hardest to know and the most important factor is how you will be able to function after your recovery. If you are able to function without significant limitation, then I would think your chances for a fit finding are good. Your doctor's support is important and your commander's input as to your functional ability to perform Soldier tasks and MOS skills will be very important, too. Your MOS and your grade will impact the PEB's views on your case. If you are combat arms and more junior in rank, then you may have an issue. On the other hand, if you are in a more sedentary MOS and are more senior, then your chances for a fit finding will probably increase.

If you are looking for a fit finding, you want to try to demonstrate that you can perform well. Passing an APFT (especially if taken with standard events and with a high score, of course taken with your doctors approval and within limits of your profile), having good NCOERs/OERs, being awarded medals/commendations in the period after your recovery, participation in field exercises, etc. will all help you to get a fit finding.

I hope all goes well for you. Best of luck!

I know my Military Cardiologist told me that with a valve replacement you can not stay in the military and will be medically retired...

I had my Aortic Valve replaced 4 weeks ago, my surgeon used Talon closure devices which means around 6 weeks my chest bone will be completely healed. Im 37 and in good health and the surgeon is saying around 3 months , possibly a weeks sooner Ill be completely over the procedure. My packet goes to a Med board the first week of Jan. I dont want a rating nor do I want to be seperated. Ive never been through any of this process, can I get some advice as to what to expect? Thank you.
I also had a Aortic valve replacement in 2008. I have a St Judes prosthetic valve in my heart and am on coumadin for life. With that said, I am still going through the board process which could take several months to be complete yet. I will have 19 Years of AD in 6 more months. Im hopeful to reach that 19 year mark and put in my retirement letter. Im not sure if that is going to save my intended career for retirening with 20 years or not? Bottom line is yes you will be medically retired. I tired like hell to get around it. Unfortunately, my time is coming to an end soon. Sorry I dont have any better news for you.

Wyatt

I also had a Aortic valve replacement in 2008. I have a St Judes prosthetic valve in my heart and am on coumadin for life. With that said, I am still going through the board process which could take several months to be complete yet. I will have 19 Years of AD in 6 more months. Im hopeful to reach that 19 year mark and put in my retirement letter. Im not sure if that is going to save my intended career for retirening with 20 years or not? Bottom line is yes you will be medically retired. I tired like hell to get around it. Unfortunately, my time is coming to an end soon. Sorry I dont have any better news for you.

Wyatt

I have a St Jude mechanical valve and aortic aneurysm repair and was retained on active duty despite the fact that I will always have to take Coumadin. Separation is not the only choice.