Army Times: 10K soldiers must go this year, 20K next year

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
12,169
Likes
1,445
#1
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140512/CAREERS/305120014

"Nearly 30,000 soldiers must be removed from the active rolls in the next 17 months if the Army is to make the first waypoint in a drawdown that eventually will reduce the force to 450,000, or even 420,000, soldiers."

While the downsizing and reduction in active duty end strength is not unusual given the ending of the conflicts in the middle east and the budget issues facing our Nation, I am concerned that disability evaluation processing will be impacted (adversely) from the actions taken to reduce the size of the force.

We will need to see how this plays out. However, despite the fact that there is no reference to "end strength" in the IDES/DES system, I believe that this does impact those facing an MEB/PEB (or, relatedly, those who should go through the IDES/DES system).
 

maronedp

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
80
Likes
13
#2
The Army O-3/O-4 separation board/forced retirement board instructions say IDES cases will be handled on a case by case basis. They don't go into further detail so it's not clear what exactly it means. My MEB attorney told me that RIF supersedes IDES, but wasn't sure they would do it this way.
 

YellowHammer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
143
Likes
19
#3
I am in the zone of consideration for the OSBs and I expect that I will be selected for separation. I also have IDES retirement orders in hand, however, my date of retirement will fall after the results are announced. I've asked a few people at HRC what would happen if I were to be identified for separation and nobody knows. The only answer I get is "there are still things we are working out" and "there is a lot of stuff we don't know yet".

On one hand I'm on-edge waiting for my transition leave to start (and to get a DD214), but on the other I am reasonably certain that the Army would not take away an IDES retirement in lieu of separation due to the public relations fallout.

I'm interested to hear Jason's opinion on the matter.
 

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
12,169
Likes
1,445
#4
I think any such separation would be contrary to law and regulations. Until someone in these circumstances (hopefully not you) is separated and it is challenged, we won't know how it plays out. (There is a similar issue brewing in the Army with separations due to MRD and or ETS coming before case is processed through the IDES. I am seeing some movement/noise about improper separations afoot; we will have to see if this becomes an issue).
 

YellowHammer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
143
Likes
19
#5
I think any such separation would be contrary to law and regulations. Until someone in these circumstances (hopefully not you) is separated and it is challenged, we won't know how it plays out. (There is a similar issue brewing in the Army with separations due to MRD and or ETS coming before case is processed through the IDES. I am seeing some movement/noise about improper separations afoot; we will have to see if this becomes an issue).
According to the MILPER any OSB mandated separation date would be NLT 9 months following the approval of the board results, I read the MILPER as saying that you can select any date to separate as long as it is not >9 months from the board results.

In my specific case my retirement date will occur well before the 9 months runs out. My concern is coming down on the OSB list causing my retirement orders to be cancelled and handed involuntary separation orders instead...obviously a big difference there. I was rated 100% PDRL, I cannot work, such a change would be devastating.
 

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
2,408
Likes
306
#6
According to the MILPER any OSB mandated separation date would be NLT 9 months following the approval of the board results, I read the MILPER as saying that you can select any date to separate as long as it is not >9 months from the board results.

In my specific case my retirement date will occur well before the 9 months runs out. My concern is coming down on the OSB list causing my retirement orders to be cancelled and handed involuntary separation orders instead...obviously a big difference there. I was rated 100% PDRL, I cannot work, such a change would be devastating.
I wouldn't think they can cancel your orders if you are already on the TRANPROC list for medical retirement, you should not have an issue because you should be out VERY soon if you have your ratings and signed your 199 already...
 

maronedp

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
80
Likes
13
#7
According to the MILPER any OSB mandated separation date would be NLT 9 months following the approval of the board results, I read the MILPER as saying that you can select any date to separate as long as it is not >9 months from the board results.

In my specific case my retirement date will occur well before the 9 months runs out. My concern is coming down on the OSB list causing my retirement orders to be cancelled and handed involuntary separation orders instead...obviously a big difference there. I was rated 100% PDRL, I cannot work, such a change would be devastating.
I really wouldn't be concerned if you already have retirement orders and your retirement date will be before the mandatory separation date for the OSB (spring 2015 sometime). The folks who need to be concerned are those just beginning the process and those who won't have proposed ratings by the mandatory separation date.
 

Rhino5

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
84
Likes
6
#8
I know that according to IDES my projected best case completion date for my MEB is March 2015. My PEBLO requested an extension to my SELCON date from 30 SEP 14 to APR 2015. HRC only granted an extension until 30 December 2014 and I'm an O-4. So yes it looks like they are playing some games.

My PEBLO looked very uncomfortable with the discussion which leads me to believe that she knows why and was instructed to not tell us Soldiers (or it could be my PTSD).
 

YellowHammer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
143
Likes
19
#9
An article is the latest Army Times [stop laughing] says that the O-3 & O-4 boards only selected 1100 CPTs and 500 MAJs for separation. Those numbers are well below some of the estimates I had seen else where.
 

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
917
Likes
213
#11
Don't fool yourself about the officer separations boards, these are designed to select low numbers for separation around 10%. The real threat to officer careers is the promotion boards coming up, the new LTC list coming out in a few weeks has a 63% selection rate. Sound nice doesn't it..."promotion board" and "selection rate" instead of "separation board" but what it doesn't tell you is that the other 37% of majors that failed selection to LTC, they get the axe... Yeah they get put out of the army at 38-40 years old. The same is true going from CPT-MAJ the last board was around 65 % and LTC to COL board the last one was 35% the other 65% didn't make it and were retired! but only because at that point! they're beyond 29 yrs.