assistance for C & P exams?

IstillLoveVistaBaby

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you use assistance to ambulate, i.e. crutches, walker, cane, but not all the time (i.e. episodic or subjective disability in back and legs that varies from day to day) is it ideal to take your device(s) with you to your C & P exam? Still active duty here. Just wondering, I hate using assistance but its how I get around most of the time during the week because of my pain level and weakness. They're not something I plan to be on the rest of my life I just have the unfortunate coincidence of upcoming VA C & P exams while trying to regulate myself off of devices at the same time. I don't want them to say, come back when you're off of those things. I just don't want to appear like I'm overstating whats wrong with me. I can leave my crutches in the waiting room, lobby, or in my vehicle but I'll by gimping it to and from everywhere at my pace and they can wait till kingdom come if they like. What do you guys think?

Yes, you should use them. If they are not present, it may be noted by the examiner.

I agree, use them.

Beyond the C&P factor, my PCM told me over and over to use them for my safety. She said you will NOT be more ambulatory with a broken bone or sprain. She is a wise woman.

What about just one crutch as opposed to two? IE for short distances I usually just have one for my bad side sciatica and weakness. For long distances or doing work I usually have both because of fatigue and pain. My bone breaks are spondylolysis, + listhesis, which doesn't go away, and isn't like a simple broken bone or sprain. Are the C&P docs going to think that is a bit of an overstatement?

What about just one crutch as opposed to two? IE for short distances I usually just have one for my bad side sciatica and weakness. For long distances or doing work I usually have both because of fatigue and pain. My bone breaks are spondylolysis, + listhesis, which doesn't go away, and isn't like a simple broken bone or sprain. Are the C&P docs going to think that is a bit of an overstatement?

The be honest the C&P doctors probably could not care less. If you need the assistive devices, then use them. If you do not need them, then don't.

It would be a shame however, if you go into the appt. without them and the physician makes a note in your record that will be there forever.