Basic Training Injuries; Soldier Currently in AIT

USArmy2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good Afternoon. I just found this forum, and I am grateful. My daughter sustained injuries during BCT. She is now in AIT, and had a bone scan last Friday. She has multiple fractures in both ankles, and multiple fractures in her hip. The Dr. at AIT told her to come home for Christmas break, and then they will re-evaluate her upon return. They told her that her bone scan "lit up like a Christmas tree", and that she had "many fractures." She is on limited physical activity, and in a lot of pain. Her MOS (91C) requires her to carry a very heavy tool box, and she is currently unable to do that. She is tiny, 5'1" and 100 lbs. What options will she have, and will she qualify for disability if she is medically discharged? She is 31 years old, and wanted to serve her country, giving up a good job at a law firm, her condo, etc., so that she could serve. She comes from a long line of military family members, so she is devastated that this is happening. Any advice, recommendations regarding other support forums, Facebook support pages, etc., will greatly be appreciated.

1st advice is to comfort her and encourage her to to use the convalescent leave to rest up and heal the stress fractures.

Unfortunately some soldiers do suffer injuries while on active duty and may face a discharge if they are unable to meet the standards of retention per AR 40-501.

If she does not meet the standards, she will more than likely be submitted for a medical evaluation board. This process can take up to a year to complete and she may even heal to the point in which she will receive a severance, although it may not be very significant. If she does not heal up and the condition worsens, she may qualify for a medical retirement which too may not be that significant either.

Please make sure to check back in and let us know what progress she is making.

Thank you so very much for you response. I greatly appreciate it. My first question: I am not following your statement of "and she may even heal to the point in which she will receive a severance..." Why would a soldier have to heal BEFORE they are able to receive a severance? Her injuries are very serious, and they are not going to heal right away. My second question: Since the injuries were sustained in BCT, why would a medical retirement not "be the significant"? Third question: Will the Army pay for her medical treatment, and whatever surgeries that she might need? Comment: Thank you for this forum. It is a wonderful thing that you do. Many of the people would have no other place to have questions answered, and it is a blessing that you make yourself available to help us. Blessings to you, and I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas!

Normally the service will allow time for the member to heal. If healing occurs and they are able to work they can return to duty. If not, then severance or retirement are considered.

I suggest the convalescent time be used to rest and let nature take its course. Unfortunately, severance and retirement are based on pay and new members are at the bottom of the pay scale. As long as she remains in the service, the service will pay for approved medical treatment.

Best wishes
Mike

What is the difference between severance and military disability? Also, how long does a soldier have to be in the military before they are qualified for either military disability/VA disability or both? I have heard that there is a 180 day rule. What happens if the military releases her prior to the 180 days?

What is the difference between severance and military disability? Also, how long does a soldier have to be in the military before they are qualified for either military disability/VA disability or both? I have heard that there is a 180 day rule. What happens if the military releases her prior to the 180 days?
Severance is given when the condition(s) that do not meet medical retention standards per AR 40-501 are rated at 0-10 or 20%.

Severance is 2.5 x your basic pay for one month, times your years of service (they use a minimum of three years).

Medical retirement is given when the condition(s) that do not meet medical retention standards per AR 40-501 are rated at 30% or greater.

Like I mentioned earlier 1st advice is to comfort her and encourage her to to use the convalescent leave to rest up and heal the stress fractures.

1st advice is to comfort her and encourage her to to use the convalescent leave to rest up and heal the stress fractures.

Unfortunately some soldiers do suffer injuries while on active duty and may face a discharge if they are unable to meet the standards of retention per AR 40-501.

If she does not meet the standards, she will more than likely be submitted for a medical evaluation board. This process can take up to a year to complete and she may even heal to the point in which she will receive a severance, although it may not be very significant. If she does not heal up and the condition worsens, she may qualify for a medical retirement which too may not be that significant either.

Please make sure to check back in and let us know what progress she is making.
I would like to know if you didn't get the proper time and med treatment to heal from severe stress fractures without being healed properly will you get problems later on in life from that