BH MEB questions

Hello, I have a couple questions about my current situation.

I am an AD Army officer with 1.5 years in, and I have been diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder and Depressed Mood. At my last BH session my counselor mentioned she thinks I may be rediagnosed with MDD because my anxiety and depression is worsening and I have been having recurring suicidal thoughts. I haven't made any plan or taken any action, it's just thoughts that I can't get rid of.

I have only been going to BH for 1 month and taking meds for 2.5 weeks. The feelings and general depressive mood has lasted for 6 months now, ever since an experience I had at my last post. BH and my PCM are aware of this.

In all honesty, at this point I feel like I'm only going to continue on a downward spiral if i stay in the army. I'm having trouble every day to just do the work assigned to me, and I don't see a viable future here. If I continue on this path I truly fear for my mental state and health. I'm at the point where I would accept a separation and pass on a MEB if it meant I could begin feeling better sooner.

My questions are these: Generally how long does it take for BH to treat adjustment disorders or MDD before they move to MEB someone? I hate to sound impatient or that I'm just looking for a way out, but every day I go on here, the fight in my head gets harder. My other question is who would initiate the MEB? I have spoken to my PCM who indicated the BH provider would have to do it, but I was under the impression the PCM could as well.

Forgive me for the long story, simply wanted to get as many details as I could out there in order to hopefully get a more complete answer. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look at this and leave some information. I also apologize if this was posted in the wrong section, feel free to move me to the right spot.

I can answer on of your questions, your PCM is the one that will initiate your MEB if it comes to that. Your treatment and health should be your main focus.

Like Sgt Zo stated it will be up to your PCM to submit your for a MEB. The special care doctors can recommend in their notes, but not actually submit it.

BDekes,

Welcome to the PEBFORUM! I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I am an AD Army officer with 1.5 years in, and I have been diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder and Depressed Mood.

While Chronic Adjustment Disorder (defined as condition persisting for 6 months or more) is compensable, you see in some cases an effort to say that (acute) Adjustment Disorder is not an actual disability, but a transient condition and is therefore not compensable. Just be aware of this issue.

At my last BH session my counselor mentioned she thinks I may be rediagnosed with MDD because my anxiety and depression is worsening and I have been having recurring suicidal thoughts.
Sorry to hear about your worsening issues. However, the MDD diagnosis is probably better for your potential MEB/PEB case.

I have only been going to BH for 1 month and taking meds for 2.5 weeks. The feelings and general depressive mood has lasted for 6 months now, ever since an experience I had at my last post. BH and my PCM are aware of this.

Do you have a profile based on your MH condition?

It can take time for treatment to help or to alleviate your condition. Not always, but, this is a factor to consider.

In all honesty, at this point I feel like I'm only going to continue on a downward spiral if i stay in the army. I'm having trouble every day to just do the work assigned to me, and I don't see a viable future here. If I continue on this path I truly fear for my mental state and health. I'm at the point where I would accept a separation and pass on a MEB if it meant I could begin feeling better sooner.

My questions are these: Generally how long does it take for BH to treat adjustment disorders or MDD before they move to MEB someone?
If you get a Permanent "3" Profile, that is all that is needed. Or failing retention standards under AR 40-501, Chapter 3.

This is from AR 40-400:

"Military Personnel Physical Disability Processing
7–1. General
Physicians who identify Soldiers with medical conditions not meeting fitness standards for retention will initiate a DA
Form 3349 referring them to the Physical Disability Evaluation System (PDES). Soldiers issued a permanent profile
with a numerical designator of 3 or 4 in one of the physical profile factors who meet retention standards are referred to
the military occupational specialty (MOS)/medical retention board (MMRB). If the Soldier does not meet retention
standards, an MEB is mandatory and will be initiated by the physical evaluation board liaison officer (PEBLO). MEBs
are convened to document a Soldier’s medical status and duty limitations insofar as duty is affected by the member’s
medical status. MEBs must be completed expeditiously. Not all MEBs require adjudication by a PEB; those that do
must be completed and forwarded to the PEB within 30 days from dictation of the narrative summary (SF 502)."

I hate to sound impatient or that I'm just looking for a way out, but every day I go on here, the fight in my head gets harder. My other question is who would initiate the MEB? I

I would be cognizant and give some good and hard thought to your potential benefits and compensation if you get an accurate finding vice just "rushing through the process." I would suggest that getting your proper benefits is an important factor in your long term interest.

Some of the other earlier posts stated that it must be your PCM who initiates. Most times, this is what would happen, but, that is not a requirement. Really, look at the bolded portion above from AR 40-400. That indicates that a PEBLO (who is generally a civilian or a E4-E6) can "initiate."
Your commander can also send you for a "Fit for Duty" exam under AR 60-200. HRC can also initiate. (As can any commander of an MTF authorized to have an MEB Convening Authority). There are several "avenues" to getting to the MEB and PEB and the jargon might confuse the issue. However, often, it will be the PCM who "initiates" (usually by consultation and raising the issue with the MEB section at your MTF) . Local practices and direction from the MTF Commander (or Deputy Commander for Clinical Services) may impact things.

I have spoken to my PCM who indicated the BH provider would have to do it, but I was under the impression the PCM could as well.
See my above comments.
Forgive me for the long story, simply wanted to get as many details as I could out there in order to hopefully get a more complete answer. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look at this and leave some information. I also apologize if this was posted in the wrong section, feel free to move me to the right spot.

I hope all works out well for you. Best of luck!

Thank you all for the responses, to be honest I didn't expect so much information so quickly.

To answer some questions, and ask a couple more:
Yes I am on a profile for the medication, 90 days. I have also been regularly considering and weighing the importance of potential compensation vs the importance of my current state of health. It's not easy for me to see one side or the other, and my feelings often change. On one hand there is no question that taking my time with things and working with the medical personnel towards a MEB will be better in the long run. However on the other hand, I'm afraid that drawing things out for months on end without really knowing the conclusion will not be good for me.

Based on the answers you have all offered, I believe I will have to bring it up to my PCM again. Im wondering if its possible they are not familiar with initiating a MEB. If this is the case Id like to find a way to tactfully suggest that it is possible.

Is MDD and anxiety disorder commonly found to be unfit? I have been lucky enough to be relatively healthy physically during my time in, the only notable injury has been a recurring stress fracture in my foot. Again I don't want to sound like I'm trying to quit, but I have reached a point where my future state of mind is at stake and I want to be familiar with my options to save it

Thanks again

almost, without a doubt your PCM should be familiar with and know how initiate an MEB. There are some circumstances that have to be present in order for the MEB to trigger. I think your PCM has to exhaust your treatment options is one of them. Don't quote me on that but that was the case in my situation.

That actually does make sense, we discussed finishing this medication prescription and seeing where things were at and she mentioned it could be an option at that point, in addition to getting the recommendation of the BH practitioner. I may have misinterpreted that part as her saying she needed the BH practitioner to start it

Sgt Zo, how many treatments and how long did it take before they started yours? I know how long the meb process can take, and every day that ticks by is one more before I can start getting better

I bdekes
I Was in treatment for 4 years. First Surgery in 2012 I never fully recovered. I had five additional surgeries, trying to fix one issue or another, I finally had enough. My shoulders were getting worse. MEB was initiated in June 2016 . everything was finished in Feb of 2017. I retired in May. 100% p&t VA. SSDI was approved in June.