C&P ROM Question

ckshaw85

Registered Member
DDD Cervical Spine. My orthopedic doctor had my forward flexion at 0-15. My C&P had me at 0-20. Anyone ever been in that situation and which one did the VA choose for ratings, doc notes or C&P exam? I know it's said that they will consider all evidence but I'm wondering if historically that has actually held up with other people who have gone through the process.

I'm in the DRAS stage right now and the wait is killing me.

They will go with the most recent ROM, either way you will get the same rating with either result. 30 degrees or forward flexion is rated at 40%

If anyone w/cervical degenerative disc disease read this before (since most people seem to have lumbar), the VA rated my condition based off the C&P range of motion, not the one done by orthopedics. For cervical ddd, greater than 15 up to 30 is 20% rating and less than 15 is 30%, hence why I was concerned about it before. If they had only found my DDD unfitting, I would have been separated at 20% w/severance instead of retired. Luckily they found my radiculopathy unfitting as well. I decided not to fight my ratings because all told I ended up 80/90 (which I'm very happy with considering I was expecting 20 or 30) and I've been in the process for more than year with a geographically separated spouse.

I've got DDD in the thoracic region. I was rated at 20%, but they also threw in my shoulders because I can't work above shoulder height without extreme pain in my thoracic spine. They were rated at 20% each.

VA question:
- My neck has a service connected rating of 10% (Its called a cervical strain and i believe the rating was based on a slight lack of ROM and some pain) however, it has progressively gotten worse over time (also I made the mistake of being on pain medication during exam so it temporarily reduced my symptoms during exam: I realise that was a poor decision)
- Anyways, my question is that since this condition has worsened (meaning, I believe the ROM is worse) can I file for an increase even though I haven’t sought treatment and have no additional medical records and just expect that I will be granted a C&P exam since it is service connected? Also, assuming I am granted an exam, if the ROM is worse, can it be assumed it would result in a rating increase?

VA question:
- My neck has a service connected rating of 10% (Its called a cervical strain and i believe the rating was based on a slight lack of ROM and some pain) however, it has progressively gotten worse over time (also I made the mistake of being on pain medication during exam so it temporarily reduced my symptoms during exam: I realise that was a poor decision)
- Anyways, my question is that since this condition has worsened (meaning, I believe the ROM is worse) can I file for an increase even though I haven’t sought treatment and have no additional medical records and just expect that I will be granted a C&P exam since it is service connected? Also, assuming I am granted an exam, if the ROM is worse, can it be assumed it would result in a rating increase?
You need to post this as it’s own thread.