Can Commanders letter be problamatic?

ezra24

Registered Member
I am in a small unit and have never met my Commander. Most of my NCO leadership is in a different state. I am active duty Army assigned to an Air Force Base.

My Chief -SMSgt (E-8) is on his way out. His Retirement is already approved and has started his outprocessing two weeks before I received the Commanders letter to fill out.

Now being in the army and possessing a TS/SCI I have been very secretive of my condition. I felt pretty embarrassed about it (PTSD/ANXIETY/DEPRESSION) and honestly I didn't think it was any of their concern or right to know about my condition. I am currently taking quite a few meds, have been seeking counseling for years now and remain pretty anonymous at work hiding my condition. I tend to stay to myself and avoid social interactions with my peers.

Now the problem I am facing now is how can my leadership properly fill this out when I have been pretty good at hiding my conditions.

thanks for the advice.

im hoping someone has a similar situation.

Somewhat similar situation with my Commander's letter. I ended up writting every sentence of it myself and my supervision and commander signed off on it without changing a single word. Usually the commander reaches out to flight leadership in order to have them write it and if you are high enough up in the ranks then they may just have you write it. I was speculating this would happen to me so I already had it written by the time they asked for it. I am very glad it worked out this way, because no knows my restrictions better than myself.

I am not sure how much weight the Commanders Letter has but I definitely have documentation about my condition for the last 7 years. I decided to print out Jason Perry’s post (the example commander letter) to present my NCO with. I am having a sit down meeting with him today and hopefully we can work something out. I just have had an overall lack of trust with leadership. I've seen too many bad apples get away with murder and people with actual conditions get the short end of the stick.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid but I am still unaware of the effect the commanders letter has. Is it used more as a guideline? or is it a determining factor in the MEB case?

I've read that it's one of the most important parts in determining fitness for duty. Obviously, medical conditions are as equally important, however the commander's letter provides the PEB with your potential ability (or inability) to be of service to the military.

Almost, any chance you could black out pii and post the letter here?

Somewhat similar situation with my Commander's letter. I ended up writting every sentence of it myself and my supervision and commander signed off on it without changing a single word. Usually the commander reaches out to flight leadership in order to have them write it and if you are high enough up in the ranks then they may just have you write it. I was speculating this would happen to me so I already had it written by the time they asked for it. I am very glad it worked out this way, because no knows my restrictions better than myself.
I did the exact same thing! I can't imagine that many would want to write up such a long document and doing 99% of the work for letter will likely get it signed with no questions asked. Obviously, truthfulness and integrity are encouraged.

my buddy's commander totally screwed him on the letter. He was also still found unfit even though the commander said he was fit. I wouldn't put tooooo much thought into it.

I am not sure how much weight the Commanders Letter has but I definitely have documentation about my condition for the last 7 years. I decided to print out Jason Perry’s post (the example commander letter) to present my NCO with. I am having a sit down meeting with him today and hopefully we can work something out. I just have had an overall lack of trust with leadership. I've seen too many bad apples get away with murder and people with actual conditions get the short end of the stick.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid but I am still unaware of the effect the commanders letter has. Is it used more as a guideline? or is it a determining factor in the MEB case?

It is an important factor that the board will utilize to determine fitness for duty, along with your NARSUM and your C&P exams. I wouldn't stress too much over it, but I would recommend you provide as much oversight into the letter as you can.

Almost, any chance you could black out pii and post the letter here?

I'm not going to post any of my files on the forum until I am out, but PM me and i'll send it to you after I redact the P2. Just give me some time to dig it up from my pile of papers.

In my experience, I found it to be 50/50 important as the NARSUM.

There are some conditions that they will find unfit every time (with few exceptions).

If the condition is on the fence about fitness, the Command letter will break the tie.

my buddy's commander totally screwed him on the letter. He was also still found unfit even though the commander said he was fit. I wouldn't put tooooo much thought into it.
My commander did the same thing, even though I've had numerous profiles for nearly a straight year, can barely do anything, and non deployable. Now how am I fit to stay in the Army if I am non deployable? I guess his degrees didn't come with common sense. I doubt his letter affected anything at all because he didn't write anything in. He sent in a bone dry letter with SM fit for duty checked.

It is an important factor that the board will utilize to determine fitness for duty, along with your NARSUM and your C&P exams. I wouldn't stress too much over it, but I would recommend you provide as much oversight into the letter as you can.

What is meant by Placed on medical hold? Are you referring to going to a WTU? Or working at the unit within the restrictions of your profile?- My currently situation

What is meant by Placed on medical hold? Are you referring to going to a WTU? Or working at the unit within the restrictions of your profile?- My currently situation
Medical hold is when your ETS date will come sooner than the end of your med board. You will be extended pass your estimated completion date so that you can finish the process.

My IDC wrote my NARSUM and the CO signed off. Due to some statements included in it, I was found fit because they stated that I could do my current job without any restrictions. I have been TAD in an Admin position because I am unable to do my actual Navy job. My wrist on my dominant hand is screwed up. The letter basically screwed me and found me FIT which I am not but I am requesting a formal board.

I am in a small unit and have never met my Commander. Most of my NCO leadership is in a different state. I am active duty Army assigned to an Air Force Base.

My Chief -SMSgt (E-8) is on his way out. His Retirement is already approved and has started his outprocessing two weeks before I received the Commanders letter to fill out.

Now being in the army and possessing a TS/SCI I have been very secretive of my condition. I felt pretty embarrassed about it (PTSD/ANXIETY/DEPRESSION) and honestly I didn't think it was any of their concern or right to know about my condition. I am currently taking quite a few meds, have been seeking counseling for years now and remain pretty anonymous at work hiding my condition. I tend to stay to myself and avoid social interactions with my peers.

Now the problem I am facing now is how can my leadership properly fill this out when I have been pretty good at hiding my conditions.

thanks for the advice.

im hoping someone has a similar situation.

I wrote my Commander's statement and told him to sign. It's very important to check that he observed you struggles. Most Commanders check no, because you don't work for them. Also typed another letter for my commander to sign asking to expedite my Letter of Release. I sent that to the PDA through my PEBLO and had my LOR the same day German time. You never know until you ask. I had my exam march 8 2017 and Get my orders Monday, July 17 2017. The longest part was getting set up to go to Bragg once I got my P3s. Overall it really only took 4 months from actual start to finish. 100% Permanent Retired and no future exams, and I got a GS 11 job when I leave. 100% CRSC, can you say six figures and half is tax free

Goal Actual Delta from Goal Army Average Delta from
Army Average
Completed Date
Referral 10 13 +3 8.08 4.92 01/17/2017
redX.png

VA Claims 10 2 -8 5.71 -3.71 01/18/2017
greenCheck.png

Medical Exam 45 50 +5 42.24 7.76 03/08/2017
redX.png

Medical Evaluation Board 35 17 -18 24.29 -7.29 03/24/2017
greenCheck.png

Informal PEB 15 57 +42 27.61 29.39 05/19/2017
redX.png

VA Rating 15 8 -7 20.23 -12.23 05/26/2017
greenCheck.png

PEB Findings 12 11 -1 25.80 -14.80 06/16/2017
greenCheck.png

PEBLO Counsel & Soldier Election 13 1 -12 7.14 -6.14 06/20/2017
greenCheck.png

PEB Appeal or VA Reconsideration 55 69.27
PDA Action & SecArmy Approval 10 15 +5 31.80 -16.80 07/07/2017
redX.png

soldierIcon.png
Transition (Including Leave/PTDY) 45 5 -40 53.39 -48.39
greenCheck.png

Benefits 30 27.90
Overall IDES Process 295 179 -31 343.46 -67.29
greenCheck.png

Jason Perry thinks they can be.

My commander did the same thing, even though I've had numerous profiles for nearly a straight year, can barely do anything, and non deployable. Now how am I fit to stay in the Army if I am non deployable? I guess his degrees didn't come with common sense. I doubt his letter affected anything at all because he didn't write anything in. He sent in a bone dry letter with SM fit for duty checked.

You shouldn't actually be on a Temp Profile for more than 180 for the same thing, and exhausted all treatment options without being placed on a P3. There's no way you're fit if you are Non-Deployable. I'd talk to my PA then Congressman. This is a serious issue, because you won't get promoted and progress and they'll end up separating you on a Chapter. That's what your Commander is setting you up for. I've seen it done

You shouldn't actually be on a Temp Profile for more than 180 for the same thing, and exhausted all treatment options without being placed on a P3. There's no way you're fit if you are Non-Deployable. I'd talk to my PA then Congressman. This is a serious issue, because you won't get promoted and progress and they'll end up separating you on a Chapter. That's what your Commander is setting you up for. I've seen it done
I started my MEB in November last year. My commander just screwed me when he wrote his part of my NARSUM. Basically said my ailment didn't affect my duty as a soldier. I got less than a week til terminal leave!