Can only take 59 days of leave?

SJA

Registered Member
BLUF: I am currently AD going through MEB(honorable discharge) with maybe 1-2 months left, signed approved ratings and waiting for orders. I have 82-85 days saved depending on when I get orders.

Other details: I just found this out yesterday that my unit put in a FRAGO out with specific steps for chapter and medical separations. Most of it is pretty run of the mill stuff. This includes a paragraph about the 59 day limitation.

I talked to the S1 NCOIC briefly and from what he told me is that because anything 60 or more days requires the brigade commander's signature. He said because of the quick turn around on getting orders to terminal leave that because it takes so long for the BC to sign paperwork that it would put me too far behind for transition.
In other words what I got from that was paperwork takes so long to get the BC that you can't take your full leave because it won't come back in time.

I finally got the FRAGO and the memo and read it myself. I am assuming this is BN level policy being enforced but there is no signature block on the memo itself. The FRAGO did have the battalion commanders block in it which I was told meant he automatically is enforcing and putting into effect immediately when it is pushed out.

Not sure what to do here. I purposefully did not take any leave so I could save for terminal to help with transitioning out. Now it seems I am forced to lose them or sell days. I am not looking to cause a ruckus with the unit just want to use the leave I earned and saved.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Not likely you would even have been able to use more than 59 days to be honest.

Once you accept your findings, you are placed on the TRANSPROC list and a 90 day countdown begins. Takes about 30-40 days to get orders after that, therefore you will not even have 59 days to take as terminal.

SJA

Registered Member
Not likely you would even have been able to use more than 59 days to be honest.

Once you accept your findings, you are placed on the TRANSPROC list and a 90 day countdown begins. Takes about 30-40 days to get orders after that, therefore you will not even have 59 days to take as terminal.
Sorry I may have misunderstood on my end. I signed my ratings this past Monday 13NOV, but I have not received the medical message via email yet (forgot exact name of it) but from what I understand nothing else can happen till I receive this message correct? You're saying my 90 day window has already started since 13NOV?

Primary Alternate

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is this policy strictly Army-wide or local? Being AF, I asked my (somewhat clueless PEBLO) about taking all my earned leave, out-processing leave, and 20 days house-hunting. Total currently adds up to over 105 days (65 leave, 20 out-processing, and 20 house-hunting). Was told that wouldn't be a problem but there again, she's told me things that were not correct. I do not want or plan to sell back any leave.

SJA

Registered Member
Is this policy strictly Army-wide or local? Being AF, I asked my (somewhat clueless PEBLO) about taking all my earned leave, out-processing leave, and 20 days house-hunting. Total currently adds up to over 105 days (65 leave, 20 out-processing, and 20 house-hunting). Was told that wouldn't be a problem but there again, she's told me things that were not correct. I do not want or plan to sell back any leave.
I am pretty sure this is just battalion level policy. Heck I am not sure even sure if this enforced by the BN CO or just S1 putting stuff into a FRAGO.

As far as I am aware there is no regulation in the Army that caps your terminal leave this is ultimately in the hands of the commander - in my case 60 days or more means I need brigade commander signature. Same with PTDY up to 20 days as I am CONUS it is up to the commander. My understanding if you're squared away, no issues and honorable discharge it is typically approved. Shouldn't be an issue here.

Seems like worse case scenario I have to amend my orders to allow me to use all the leave and maybe even use open door policy to get a signature. The Army makes everything difficult.

Sgt zo

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Primary Alternate, you are not on leave while you outproces. I got 20 days to outproces,then I took about 85 days of leave.20 days PTDY and 65 days terminal leave. I had about 58 days, earned 7 more while on leave.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">