Chronic plantar fasciitis, knee pain and Hypothyroid

darksideofthemoon

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anyone here be able to tell me what is the likely hood I will be able to get rated for disability instead of severance for these? The PF is Army related and has just gotten worse with time and I've done all that's been asked to improve the condition. It's also bilateral. I can't function without pain at all throughout the day in both feet and the knee pain is compounded by the change in my gait. Additionally I've been putting on weight with the thyroid issue as the med isn't working. I've only been in a little over a year but my body feels broken and I'm an older soldier. I have a family to care for and was going to ask my PCM about MEB soon. Any input is appreciated.

bump

38 CFR 4.71(a)

The Foot

5276 Flatfoot, acquired:

Pronounced; marked pronation, extreme tenderness of plantar

surfaces of the feet, marked inward displacement and severe spasm

of the tendo achillis on manipulation, not improved by orthopedic

shoes or appliances:

Bilateral............................................................................................................................................................... 50

Unilateral .......................................................................................................................................................... 30

Severe; objective evidence of marked deformity (pronation,

abduction, etc.), pain on manipulation and use accentuated,

indication of swelling on use, characteristic callosities:

Bilateral............................................................................................................................................................... 30

Unilateral........................................................................................................................................................... 20

Moderate; weight-bearing line over or medial to great toe, inward

bowing of the tendo achillis, pain on manipulation and use of

the feet, bilateral or unilateral ............................................................................................................. 10

Mild: symptoms relieved by built-up shoe or arch support................................................ 0

5277 Weak Foot, bilateral:

A symptomatic condition secondary to many constitutional conditions,

characterized by atrophy of the musculature, disturbed circulation,

and weakness:

Rate the underlying condition, minimum rating .......................................................... 10

5278 Claw foot (pes cavus), acquired:

Marked contraction of plantar fascia with dropped forefoot, all toes

hammer toes, very painful callosities, marked varus deformity:

Bilateral............................................................................................................................................................... 50

Unilateral........................................................................................................................................................... 30

All toes tending to dorsiflexion, limitation of dorsiflexion at ankle

to right angle, shortened plantar fascia, and marked tenderness

under metatarsal heads:

Bilateral............................................................................................................................................................... 30

Unilateral........................................................................................................................................................... 20

Great toe dorsiflexed, some limitation of dorsiflexion at ankle,

definite tenderness under metatarsal heads:

Bilateral............................................................................................................................................................... 10

Unilateral........................................................................................................................................................... 10

Slight....................................................................................................................................................................................... 0

5279 Metatarsalgia, anterior (Morton’s disease), unilateral, or bilateral.................................... 10

5280 Hallux valgus, unilateral:

Operated with resection of metatarsal head.................................................................................. 10

Severe, if equivalent to amputation of great toe......................................................................... 10

5281 Hallux rigidus, unilateral, severe:

Rate as hallux valgus, severe.

Note: Not to be combined with claw foot ratings.

5282 Hammer toe:

All toes, unilateral without claw foot...................................................................................................... 10

Single toes.......................................................................................................................................................................... 0

5283 Tarsal, or metatarsal bones, malunion of, or nonunion of:

Severe................................................................................................................................................................................. 30

Moderately severe ................................................................................................................................................. 20

Moderate ........................................................................................................................................................................ 10

Note: With actual loss of use of the foot, rate 40 percent.

5284 Foot injuries, other:

Severe................................................................................................................................................................................. 30

Moderately severe.................................................................................................................................................. 20

Moderate ........................................................................................................................................................................ 10

Note: With actual loss of use of the foot, rate 40 percent.

The Endocrine System

4.119 Schedule of ratings-endocrine system.................................................................... 4.119-1

§4.119 Schedule of ratings-endocrine system.

The Endocrine System

Rating

7900 Hyperthyroidism

Thyroid enlargement, tachycardia (more than 100 beats per

minute), eye involvement, muscular weakness, loss of

weight, and sympathetic nervous system, cardiovascular,

or gastrointestinal symptoms ......................................................................... 100

Emotional instability, tachycardia, fatigability, and increased

pulse pressure or blood pressure ....................................................................... 60

Tachycardia, tremor, and increased pulse pressure or blood pressure .................... 30

Tachycardia, which may be intermittent, and tremor, or;

continuous medication required for control ....................................................... 10

Note 1: If disease of the heart is the predominant finding, evaluate as hyperthyroid heart disease (DC 7008) if doing so would result in a higher evaluation than using the criteria above.

Note 2: If ophthalmopathy is the sole finding, evaluate as field vision, impairment of (DC 6080); diplopia (DC 6090); or impairment of central visual acuity (DC 6061-6079).

7901 Thyroid gland, toxic adenoma of

Thyroid enlargement, tachycardia (more than 100 beats per minute),

eye involvement, muscular weakness, loss of weight, and

sympathetic nervous system, cardiovascular, or gastrointestinal

symptoms ........................................................................................................ 100

Emotional instability, tachycardia, fatigability, and increased pulse

pressure or blood pressure ................................................................................ 60

Tachycardia, tremor, and increased pulse pressure or blood pressure .................... 30

Tachycardia, which may be intermittent, and tremor, or;

continuous medication required for control ....................................................... 10

Note (1): If disease of the heart is the predominant finding, evaluate as hyperthyroid heart disease (DC 7008) if doing so would result in a higher evaluation than using the criteria above.

Note (2): If ophthalmopathy is the sole finding, evaluate as field vision, impairment of (DC 6080); diplopia (DC 6090); or impairment of central visual acuity (DC 6061-6079).

7902 Thyroid gland, nontoxic adenoma of

With disfigurement of the head or neck ................................................................... 20

Without disfigurement of the head or neck ................................................................ 0

Note: If there are symptoms due to pressure on adjacent organs such as the trachea, larynx, or esophagus, evaluate under the diagnostic code for disability of that organ, if doing so would result in a higher evaluation than using this diagnostic code.

7903 Hypothyroidism

Cold intolerance, muscular weakness, cardiovascular involvement,

mental disturbance (dementia, slowing of thought, depression),

bradycardia (less than 60 beats per minute), and sleepiness ........................... 100

Muscular weakness, mental disturbance, and weight gain ....................................... 60

Fatigability, constipation, and mental sluggishness ................................................. 30

Fatigability, or; continuous medication required for control ................................... 10

7904 Hyperparathyroidism

Generalized decalcification of bones, kidney stones, gastrointestinal

symptoms (nausea, vomiting, anorexia, constipation, weight loss, or

peptic ulcer), and weakness ............................................................................. 100

Gastrointestinal symptoms and weakness .............................................................. 60

Continuous medication required for control ............................................................ 10

Note: Following surgery or treatment, evaluate as digestive, skeletal, renal, or cardiovascular residuals or as endocrine dysfunction.

7905 Hypoparathyroidism

Marked neuromuscular excitability (such as convulsions, muscular

spasms (tetany), or laryngeal stridor) plus either cataract or

evidence of increased intracranial pressure (such as papilledema) .................. 100

Marked neuromuscular excitability, or; paresthesias (of arms, legs,

or circumoral area) plus either cataract or evidence of

increased intracranial pressure ........................................................................... 60

Continuous medication required for control ............................................................ 10

7907 Cushing’s syndrome

As active, progressive disease including loss of muscle strength, areas

of osteoporosis, hypertension, weakness, and enlargement of

pituitary or adrenal gland ................................................................................. 100

Loss of muscle strength and enlargement of pituitary or adrenal gland ................... 60

With striae, obesity, moon face, glucose intolerance, and

vascular fragility ................................................................................................ 30

Note: With recovery or control, evaluate as residuals of adrenal insufficiency or cardiovascular, psychiatric, skin, or skeletal complications under appropriate diagnostic code.

7908 Acromegaly

Evidence of increased intracranial pressure (such as visual field

defect), arthropathy, glucose intolerance, and either hypertension

or cardiomegaly ................................................................................................ 100

Arthropathy, glucose intolerance, and hypertension .............................................. 60

Enlargement of acral parts or overgrowth of long bones, and

enlarged sella turcica .......................................................................................... 30

7909 Diabetes insipidus

Polyuria with near-continuous thirst, and more than two documented

episodes of dehydration requiring parenteral hydration in the

past year .......................................................................................................... 100

Polyuria with near-continuous thirst, and one or two documented

episodes of dehydration requiring parenteral hydration in the

past year ............................................................................................................ 60

Polyuria with near-continuous thirst, and one or more episodes

of dehydration in the past year not requiring parenteral hydration .................. 40

Polyuria with near-continuous thirst ....................................................................... 20

7911 Addison’s disease (adrenal cortical hypofunction)

Four or more crises during the past year ................................................................. 60

Three crises during the past year, or; five or more episodes during

the past year ...................................................................................................... 40

One or two crises during the past year, or; two to four episodes during

the past year, or; weakness and fatigability, or; corticosteroid

therapy required for control .............................................................................. 20

Note (1): An Addisonian “crisis” consists of the rapid onset of peripheral vascular collapse (with acute hypotension and shock), with findings that may include: anorexia; nausea; vomiting; dehydration; profound weakness; pain in abdomen, legs, and back; fever; apathy, and depressed mentation with possible progression to coma, renal shutdown, and death.

Note (2): An Addisonian “episode,” for VA purposes, is a less acute and less severe event than an Addisonian crisis and may consist of anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, weakness, malaise, orthostatic hypotension, or hypoglycemia, but no peripheral vascular collapse.

Note (3): Tuberculous Addison’s disease will be evaluated as active or inactive tuberculosis. If inactive, these evaluations are not to be combined with the graduated ratings of 50 percent or 30 percent for non-pulmonary tuberculosis specified under §4.89. Assign the higher rating.

7912 Pluriglandular syndrome

Evaluate according to major manifestations.

7913 Diabetes mellitus

Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet,

and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational

and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or

hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per

year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either

progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that

would be compensable if separately evaluated ................................................ 100

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities with

episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring one

or two hospitalizations per year or twice a month visits to a diabetic

care provider, plus complications that would not be compensable

if separately evaluated ....................................................................................... 60

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities .................................. 40

Requiring insulin and restricted diet, or; oral hypoglycemic agent

and restricted diet .............................................................................................. 20

Manageable by restricted diet only ......................................................................... 10

Note (1): Evaluate compensable complications of diabetes separately unless they are part of the criteria used to support a 100 percent evaluation. Noncompensable complications are considered part of the diabetic process under diagnostic code 7913.

Note (2): When diabetes mellitus has been conclusively diagnosed, do not request a glucose tolerance test solely for rating purposes.

7914 Neoplasm, malignant, any specified part of the endocrine system ............................. 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, X-ray, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

7915 Neoplasm, benign, any specified part of the endocrine system

Rate as residuals of endocrine dysfunction.

7916 Hyperpituitarism (prolactin secreting pituitary dysfunction)

7917 Hyperaldosteronism (benign or malignant)

7918 Pheochromocytoma (benign or malignant)

Note: Evaluate diagnostic codes 7916, 7917, and 7918 as malignant or benign neoplasm as appropriate.

7919 C-cell hyperplasia of the thyroid ................................................................................ 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, X-ray, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

[46 FR 43666, Aug. 31, 1981, as amended at 61 FR 20446, May 7, 1996]

Supplement Highlights reference: 16(2)

I appreciate the information, but that wasn't what I was requesting. I'm concerned that my limited time in service is going to affect the outcome of a potential med board. Just wanted to know what the general consensus was based upon my situations listed above what is the chance I will qualify for disability via the Military and the VA? I have a family I need to take care of and trying to make sure I can still do that.

Also, I may be up for surgery to try to correct the issues with my feet. I am worried about it as I have not heard positive, lasting results. Is it more likely to get a favorable med board, disability and compensations if I have the surgery or are my chances the same even without the surgery? I just don't know if the good outweighs the bad in this...

Thank you.

related question, I have aslo been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis, but HAve been refered to an MEB for my back. I was not given any PT after surgery for shrapnel removal...PT never called me. I spoke to my podiatrist who put me in for PT...PT never scheduled me. Now the MEDBOARD for my back, so what about my possible unfitting feet??? What about the MRDP for it?

I appreciate the information, but that wasn't what I was requesting. I'm concerned that my limited time in service is going to affect the outcome of a potential med board. Just wanted to know what the general consensus was based upon my situations listed above what is the chance I will qualify for disability via the Military and the VA? I have a family I need to take care of and trying to make sure I can still do that.

Also, I may be up for surgery to try to correct the issues with my feet. I am worried about it as I have not heard positive, lasting results. Is it more likely to get a favorable med board, disability and compensations if I have the surgery or are my chances the same even without the surgery? I just don't know if the good outweighs the bad in this...

Thank you.

bump

Anyone here be able to tell me what is the likely hood I will be able to get rated for disability instead of severance for these? The PF is Army related and has just gotten worse with time and I've done all that's been asked to improve the condition. It's also bilateral. I can't function without pain at all throughout the day in both feet and the knee pain is compounded by the change in my gait. Additionally I've been putting on weight with the thyroid issue as the med isn't working. I've only been in a little over a year but my body feels broken and I'm an older soldier. I have a family to care for and was going to ask my PCM about MEB soon. Any input is appreciated.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my opinion, there is always an opportunity to receive a military disability retirement (e.g., a 30% or higher disability rating) versus military disability severance pay (e.g., a 0%, 10% or 20% disability rating); it's all based upon whether a military member cannot be returned to a full-duty status. As such and if this is the situation, it will be necessary for the military member to be referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES).

From a procedural viewpoint and to aide with building your DoD IDES knowledgebase if applicable, the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is explained in detail as follows:

After referral into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process by your military PCM who initiated a permanent physical profile with PULHES of 3 or 4 in any one category, the Military Treatment Facility (MTF) who has approval authority for DoD IDES MEB referrals shall review the originally PCM-initiated permanent physical profile request.

Upon acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, during the MEB Phase is when all of your medical conditions are reviewed to determine which are "medically unacceptable" or "medically acceptable" conditions. The MTF will assign a PEBLO to develop the MEB case file for the MEB phase of the DoD IDES process.

To that extent, the MEB Physician is supposed to review all applicable medical condition(s) associated with a PULHES category of 3 or 4 in the AHLTA EMR database system, and then make an informed objective medical evidence determination to either maintain, down select, or upgrade the specific category code in the PULHES.

Upon approval by the DoD IDES MEB Physician(s) at the MTF of the PCM-initiated permanent physical profile referral, the MEB Physician shall either generate a new permanent physical profile with updated PULHES (most favorable course of action in my opinion) or transpose the PCM-initiated permanent physical profile with PULHES as written (least favorable course of action in my opinion).

In continuation of the DoD IDES MEB process, a Narrative Summary (NARSUM) is dictated after receipt of the DoVA C&P Examination results which outlines in detail all medically unacceptable and medically acceptable conditions.

It's unknown what type of C&P Exam clinician you will get on the day(s) of the evaluation. In my opinion, some DoVA C&P Examination clinicians are good-to-go while others seem not to care about the military service member.

With that said, you may receive good or bad results from either of the aforementioned type of DoVA C&P Exam clinicians; there are no guarantees. Depending on the type of C&P Exam, the clinician will just ask a lot of questions and/or perform a physical evaluation.

If the MEB determines that medically unacceptable conditions exist, then the IDES case file is forward to the PEB for a fit for duty or unfit for duty determination. The MEB phase has an officially published DoD timeline of 100 calendar days for Active Component (AC) military personnel and 140 calendar days for Reserve Component (RC) military personnel.

If the PEB determines any unfit medical conditions, then the IDES case file is forward to the DoVA D-RAS for ratings of all PEB referred unfitting conditions (e.g., DoD disability rating(s)) and all DoVA claimed conditions. It's important to note that DoD must adopt the DoVA D-RAS rating(s) for each PEB-referred unfitting condition(s).

Upon receipt of the IPEB findings inclusive of DoD and DoVA proposed ratings, the DA Form 199 (or similar Service specific document) is generated. The PEBLO has a three day maximum limit to inform you of the IPEB findings and your election options once he/she received your IPEB fitness determination and disability ratings. The PEB phase has an officially published DoD timeline of 120 calendar days for both AC and RC military personnel, but current timelines are well extended due to the backlog of DoVA disability claims.

When the DA Form 199 (or similar Service specific document) is finally signed [e.g. after resolution of a PEB appeal/review and/or an one-time VA Rating Reconsideration (VARR) request, if warranted], then it's forwarded to the Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPOC) II.

Moreover, TRANSPOC II performs transition processing functions in which it generates the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty or Discharge) document, and schedules the generation of retirement/separation orders from US Military.

In conclusion, the DoD officially published timeline for AC military personnel within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is 295 calendar days, and RC military personnel is 305 calendar days . But, it's potentially delayed beyond the aforementioned durations due to the massive amounts of backlogged DoVA disability claims.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thank you.

Darkside, ask your foot doc if you have Pens Planus (flat feet) and if that's whats causing the Plantar Fasciitis (PF). Also, talk about non-evasive surgery for PF and convalescent leave for it. I had it done on my right foot and achilles tendon back in July and having the left foot done next month. It will feel like they hit your foot with a hammer a few times but that combined with no running has my right foot feeling much better. I still experience pain but it's much better than it was.

Last edited:

Thank you.

From an U.S. Army perspective, as DoVA representatives inform us during a previous ACAP briefing, the DoVA doesn't provide disability compensation for surgery or a surgical procedure since its goal is to make the military service member / military veteran medically better. The DoVA D-RAS shall evaluate the chronic medical conditions yielding residual symptomatology.

That said, as based upon the results of the surgery, your DoVA D-RAS ratings could potentially be favorable or unfavorable pending the medical evidence showing chronic residual symptomatology.

Naturally, the final choice is yours to make albeit upon acceptance in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, it seems that a life-threatening medical necessity is warranted for a surgical procedure/action to potentially occur. But, some PEB Forum members were successful in lieu of the aforementioned medical stipulation.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Darkside, ask your foot doc if you have Pens Planus (flat feet) and if that's whats causing the Plantar Fasciitis (PF). Also, talk about non-evasive surgery for PF and convalescent leave for it. I had it done on my right foot and achilles tendon back in July and having the left foot done next month. It will feel like they hit your foot with a hammer a few times but that combined with no running has my right foot feeling much better. I still experience pain but it's much better than it was.

Thanks for all the information. Greatly appreciated. I actually don't have Pes Planus, but Pas Cavus (high arches) and was told I'm more prone to foot problems by the Physical Therapist. I wonder though if it's just plantar fasciitis and not tarsal tunnel syndrome as I get the pain ranging from my achilles almost into my toes. Waiting to see the specialist on it here in a month so we'll see their thoughts.

Warrior, what is this in reference to? :
DoD IDES MEB/PEB conditions:
2 referred conditions from DoD - Army
50 claimed conditions for DoVA D-RAS

Does that mean the Army referred you for 2 conditions but the DoVA was able to claim more? Thanks.

Thanks for all the information. Greatly appreciated. I actually don't have Pes Planus, but Pas Cavus (high arches) and was told I'm more prone to foot problems by the Physical Therapist. I wonder though if it's just plantar fasciitis and not tarsal tunnel syndrome as I get the pain ranging from my achilles almost into my toes. Waiting to see the specialist on it here in a month so we'll see their thoughts.

Warrior, what is this in reference to? :

DoD IDES MEB/PEB conditions:
2 referred conditions from DoD - Army
50 claimed conditions for DoVA D-RAS

Does that mean the Army referred you for 2 conditions but the DoVA was able to claim more? Thanks.

Indeed; I have 2 PEB-referred unfitting conditions from the DoD - Army, but I claimed a total of 50 conditions/ contentions for DoVA D-RAS to evaluate for a rating via the MSC.

Best Wishes!

Question, if my MEPS physical was fine with no physical issues, how is any condition after the fact looked at? ie. Hypothyroidism, which I didn't know I had until diagnosed recently here. Also, pes cavus wasn't diagnosed until a therapist here said I had it. Thanks.

Question, if my MEPS physical was fine with no physical issues, how is any condition after the fact looked at? ie. Hypothyroidism, which I didn't know I had until diagnosed recently here. Also, pes cavus wasn't diagnosed until a therapist here said I had it. Thanks.

In my opinion, the military will have to treat those medical conditions as military service occurred and related unless they can officially prove otherwise.

Best Wishes!

Warrior, where was the information from stating that the DOD must accept the DoVA ratings? I have an NCO interested in finding out of the VA ratings kind of trump the DOD ratings and if DOD then matches the VA ratings? Thanks again.

Warrior, where was the information from stating that the DOD must accept the DoVA ratings? I have an NCO interested in finding out of the VA ratings kind of trump the DOD ratings and if DOD then matches the VA ratings? Thanks again.

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

As such, under the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES), please reference DoD Directive Type Memo (DTM) 11-015 Change 3, D-RAS Procedures, pages 32-33.

Best Wishes!

I have found that it is crucial for the patient to read the VA COMP & PENSION guidelines for each diagnosis you have prior to your C&P physical. Figure out what your ratings would be by your symptoms. That way, when the Physician asks you specific questions like how many days per year are you debilitated by your condition, you already have calculated that it is more than 6 weeks. You do not have to guess. Thus, more than 6 weeks = 40% and you will actually get what you deserve. Another example. You would also see that when they examine your range of motion, you will see that the guidelines state for range of motion of a joint paraphrasing The person being examined has the right to stop moving the joint when pain is felt. That is when the measuring stops. Maybe you could move joint farther, but if you stop when it causes pain, you will get rated more accurately than if you push through the pain and end up with a 0%.

I have found that it is crucial for the patient to read the VA COMP & PENSION guidelines for each diagnosis you have prior to your C&P physical. Figure out what your ratings would be by your symptoms. That way, when the Physician asks you specific questions like how many days per year are you debilitated by your condition, you already have calculated that it is more than 6 weeks. You do not have to guess. Thus, more than 6 weeks = 40% and you will actually get what you deserve. Another example. You would also see that when they examine your range of motion, you will see that the guidelines state for range of motion of a joint paraphrasing The person being examined has the right to stop moving the joint when pain is felt. That is when the measuring stops. Maybe you could move joint farther, but if you stop when it causes pain, you will get rated more accurately than if you push through the pain and end up with a 0%.

_______________________________***:D*** Happy New Year! ***:D***________________________________

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, most definitely! Always ensure that you are armed with the exact evaluation criteria being used to potentially determine a DoVA rating!

To that extent, Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs) are downloadable forms created for Veterans' use in the evaluation process for disability benefits. DBQs will help speed the processing of Veterans' disability compensation and pension claims.

Moreover, DBQs allow Veterans and Service members to have more control over the disability claims process by giving them the option of visiting a primary care provider in their community, at their expense, instead of completing an evaluation at a Department of Veterans Affairs (DoVA) facility. The streamlined forms use check boxes and standardized language so that the disability rating can be made accurately and quickly.

However, there do not exist any DBQs for the following medical examinations:
  • Initial Examination for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Hearing Loss and Tinnitus
  • Residuals of Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Cold Injury Residuals
  • Prisoner of War Examination Protocol
  • Gulf War Medical Examination
  • General Medical Examination for Compensation Purposes
  • General Medical Examination for Pension Purposes
As such, the DoVA has determined that the examinations required to complete the aforementioned "no DBQs" either require specialized training, specialized equipment, or specialized testing generally not available through private providers or, if these examinations are available, the cost to the Veteran would be so great as to render the DBQ cost-prohibitive.

For those aforementioned reasons, the DoVA has determined that it is in the Veteran's best interest to still require that these examinations to be conducted by a DoVA C&P Examination clinician.

Best Wishes!

Thank you for the information LT and War. I was about to ask in relation to a shoulder or knee as I was diagnosed with a shoulder impingment causing numbness and tingling in the hand, with pain and weakness. You provided another good outlook on this as a whole with DoVA. I was recently approved by the Podiatrist for the MEB process so just waiting to see what is in the report and what my PCM does from there. Thanks again!

Thank you for the information LT and War. I was about to ask in relation to a shoulder or knee as I was diagnosed with a shoulder impingment causing numbness and tingling in the hand, with pain and weakness. You provided another good outlook on this as a whole with DoVA. I was recently approved by the Podiatrist for the MEB process so just waiting to see what is in the report and what my PCM does from there. Thanks again!

Indeed, you are welcome! Good deal, continue to press onwards for sure while in the DoD IDES process! :)

Best Wishes!