Claiming a dependent child through the VA but without social security number information.

ccut

Registered Member
As the non custodial parent paying child support, I made a claim through Ebenefits (and followed up via phone) to receive additional VA compensation that comes with a dependent.

I sent in the court order stating that I'm paying child support. I also gave them the child's name, date of birth, and the address of the child support enforcement agency that I send the checks to.

However, I do not have the child's social security number and the VA is stating that they require the number to process the claim.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be most welcome. Thanks. Semper fi.

I am stating the obvious, but why not call the custodian of the child, likely the mother, and ask them for the number?

For most new parents, it's easy to obtain the birth registration form, because hospitals usually distribute them while the mother is still a patient. I remember we applied for one for my son when he was only one week old.

Unfortunately the mother will not release that information to me. Thanks for the reply.

As the non custodial parent paying child support, I made a claim through Ebenefits (and followed up via phone) to receive additional VA compensation that comes with a dependent.

I sent in the court order stating that I'm paying child support. I also gave them the child's name, date of birth, and the address of the child support enforcement agency that I send the checks to.

However, I do not have the child's social security number and the VA is stating that they require the number to process the claim.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be most welcome. Thanks. Semper fi.
Unfortunately the mother will not release that information to me. Thanks for the reply.

I do not practice in the area of family law and none of this is legal advice. That said, here are my thoughts.

Seems to me that you, as a parent should be able to request a copy of the social security card (which, of course, contains the SSN) from the Social Security Administration.
If that does not work, you might consider going to court and request that the court directs that the custodial parent provides the SSN so that you can meet your obligations (including any obligation to pay for health insurance).

If you are still on active duty, you might seek counsel from your base legal office. Often, they can assist in situations like yours.

Hope all goes well for you. Best of luck!

Jason

If your child is in DEERS the social is probably in the system. Ask your personnel folks or look it up via E-benefits.

FYI...

It would seem for security reasons via eBenefits, the "Dependents on an Award" page only shows the last four digits of the SSN for each dependent listed. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!