Commander Letter

A2_8vgti

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was given the paperwork to turn over to my Commander for his Command Letter 2 weeks ago. I have asked about the letter with no response. My Peblo called today to set up my first meeting with them and stated the Commander had emailed the letter to them. I have no idea what it says. Do I need to request a copy of it, this is a Rear Det Commander who wrote it, I have only known for aprox. 3-4 months. I have read on this Forum that this letter carries weight at the board, I'm just trying to figure out what to ask or do, being I see most people said they actually spoke with their 1SG or Commander prior to theirs being written and I was not able to do either.

Thank you.

You can view the Commanders Performance and functional Statement, but you can't really do anything to change it if you dislike what he/she says. You will get a copy most certainly in your NARSUM. It does carry weight in the MEB. If you have one of those borderline conditions that depend on if you can or cannot do your job according to your MOS and rank, it can be the straw that brakes the camel's back. For example, if you are an E5 Infantryman and you aren't able to stand for more than 15 mins at a time you most likely will be found Unfit regardless of what that statement says, but if you already had a job that requires you to sit most of the time and your condition is a borderline fit or unfit condition then the statement could be the tipping point. That example was of course Hypothetical.

I had the same issue, I am currently 90% from the VA and my commander that I never met, talked to me because I live in a different state, stated that they want to keep me. I called the PEBLO and she said that I can write a statement disagreeing with his statement.

I had the same issue, I am currently 90% from the VA and my commander that I never met, talked to me because I live in a different state, stated that they want to keep me. I called the PEBLO and she said that I can write a statement disagreeing with his statement.

Correct. You can add statements to the NARSUM hopefully to rebut what he said.

Never met this guy and all the sudden he knows his stuff. He just did the basic to screw me. I honestly don't understand the army sometime, they put us in harms way and then they try to screw you over after you're done. Proud of my service but not of my unit

I wrote my own, then emailed it to the CDR for his review and signature. It worked for me, but maybe not for everyone. It allowed me to ensure that my case was documented correctly and gave the CDR the chance to agree or disagree and make changes as fit.

I wrote my own, then emailed it to the CDR for his review and signature. It worked for me, but maybe not for everyone. It allowed me to ensure that my case was documented correctly and gave the CDR the chance to agree or disagree and make changes as fit.

I agree here. Just like an OPR/EPR/Performance report, it is often best to write it yourself and submit it. People are less apt to change something if it flows, makes sense and is already complete...probably the best way to ensure that the letter says what you want it to. My boss is a Brig Gen (WG/CC) and that is how I submitted mine to him. All he did was add his own personal statement but left the remainder of the letter unchanged.

I agree here. Just like an OPR/EPR/Performance report, it is often best to write it yourself and submit it. People are less apt to change something if it flows, makes sense and is already complete...probably the best way to ensure that the letter says what you want it to. My boss is a Brig Gen (WG/CC) and that is how I submitted mine to him. All he did was add his own personal statement but left the remainder of the letter unchanged.

Same here. I wrote my own and CCed it to him, he changed small items but he was ecstatic that I did his job already. lol. Although, my boss isn't a Brig. Gen! haha :p

The Rear Det Commander here would not let me write it and send it in. He pretty much wrote that I was "unmotivated and showed no signs of PTSD". However the Peblo said the examples he gave of me being unmotivated were clear indicators of the PTSD and medications for it. :/ The Commander won't change his letter, he doesn't know me from Adam. The Peblo stated that my Dr would list out everything in the NARSUM to rebut what he said, and I can also write a letter to add to the packet along with my spouse.

My CO said email it on digits and he wold digitally sign it and print it for me....
I wrote it and he signed it. Although I wrote truthfully lol so he
Didn't have to argue it haha

My chief wrote mines. He is the ones who knows me and I directly work for. He had the most up-todate info on my condition. He talked to me about what to put into it. The my DIVO, Dept. HD, XO and CO did their chops and adds. I feel this is how its should be done. The supervisor that knows you well should write the majority of it. After it was all approved and sent out, I was CCed, so I have a copy. And after all my papers were done at PEBLO, I was given copies of everything my PEBLO sent in ( except my med. record, thats thick ).

can someone please provide me with a sample commander's letter??? I am new to this forum and please provide me some instruction if i have to download from somewhere. Thanks

Here's an example that resulted in a win at my appeal to the MEB. It is tailored to an aviation officer but the key elements are that each condition is listed as separately disqualifying and that the commander specifically shows how each one prevents you from doing your job in your MOS.

Attachments

• Example Commanders Statement.pdf
    814.6 KB · Views: 169