Corpsman (Medical) found fit???

Hansen1937

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My PEB came back Fit for Continued Active Service with assignments to Military hospitals. Ive been hearing from a lot of folks, Drs, Legal, PEBLOs, other service members, etc... that Corpsmen the vast majority of the time (talking 90%+) are found fit with assignments to a Hospital. Has any one else found this to be true? And if so, how does the outcome look for appealing it?

12+ year Active Duty HM1 IDC. My referred conditions were DM2 with injectable (non insulin) Rx, PTSD, and TBIs.

On a side note... Funny thing is the board said that none of it was combat related... Wonder how they figured that with the PTSD and TBIs??? And they looked at me as a "General Duty Corpsman for the purposes of the board," even though Im NOT a general duty Corpsman.

That's ridiculous. You need to appeal if you truly believe you are unfit. Do they really want you in patient care with ptsd?

Im planning to appeal. I meet with the IDES Lawyer tomorrow. I agree one of the aggravating factors I have that's associated with the PTSD is by seeing patients. And in addition with the DM2, I can no longer work independently as my rate dictates. But they only looked at me as a "General Duty Corpsman."

NEC Designation:

NEC HM-8425 Surface Force Independent Duty Corpsman

Description:

Serves as the Medical Department Representative (MDR) aboard surface ships, with the units of the Fleet Marine Force, and at various isolated duty stations ashore independent of a medical officer. Performs patient care and associated shipboard administrative and logistical duties. Performs diagnostic procedures, advanced first aid, basic life support.

Yeah I'm sorry to hear that. Fits have been coming back like wild fire lately. You need some solid ALTA documentation and evidence.

I agree it seems like the flood gates have opened up for folks getting word back (and the vast majority of them have been found fit). I was a 63 days from the time the board opened my pkg until I got the word. When I talked with the PEBLO and the Dr. they both said that out of the last 10 corpsman to go up for boards all 10 have come back as fit but only able to work at hospitals or MTFs. But when they have appealed that all 9 (Im the 10th one) have been found unfit and medically retired (which is what Im going for).

Im trying to get all of my AHLTA stuff together and any hand written 600s. Unfortunately like a lot of medical folks Ive shot myself in the foot by just taking care of things and not documenting as well as we should. Especially when we're down range.

Corpsman life. Never getting documentation since you work with the providers. Sucks. I'm a corpsman as well sent up for ptsd. My package is at the VA that's how I know I'm unfit.

Best of luck with it. Ill let you know what Legal says and how things go.

Hey blaq is 30 days the average for VA rating to get back to the peb? The VA received my package on the 9th of February. Keep me posted I'm about a month behind you I guess!

Good luck with your FPEB.
Mike

@limbolife from what ive seen around here 30-45 days seems to be the range.

I talked with the lawyer today. She said that the diabetes is pretty much set and she dosent think they will change their mind on that. BUT she said with an updated personal statement, updated note from my Psy, and a new NMA from the hospital (where I was assigned when I got put on the board), that I should be able to get TDRL for the PTSD/TBI. I'm going to appeal the board and let the dominoes fall... Worst they can do is tell me no, and then I ride out the next 1.5 year and try to re-enlist and spend the rest of my career at a hospital

Hey Hansen if you appeal and get put in a hospital with PTSD diagnosis there is good news... I've had a bud who after the appeals the lawyer asked that he be relocated to his hometown at a reserve station. Ding he got it off the bat. He works about 5 hrs a day in the reserve center with his BAH paying off his mortgage until he gets out. His lawyer went in blazing about the true fact he needed his family support 100% in his hometown. He's happier than you can imagine. Hope this helps and your lawyer has gloves on.

Limbolife... That's something to look at. Thanks for the heads up. Theres always a silver lining (just need help to see it some days).

My husband began his career as a corpsman. As an HM2 he left for a usmc commission. He is now finishing out his 25 year career (12 1/2 navy. 12 1/2 usmc). He was found unfit for PTSD, TBI etc. Those issues go back to his HM days. Some of the worst issues are actually from those days. Good luck on your boards.

I have a feeling mine is going to come back the same way. I am a Physician Assistant and I have lost my peripheral vision on the bottom right of both my eyes due to a brain tumor. They removed the tumor in Oct 15 but unfortunately there is either residual tumor left OR it is growing back. They put me in for the MEB because of the vision loss stating that I cannot deploy because of it. I have heard that anyone who is in the medical field almost always come back fit with some sort of limitation. That is what I have been told, that they will most likely find me fit just undeployable. I'm still going through the process just to see if they find me unfit but if they find me fit, I'll just put in my intent to separate because at least all my disability will be done with the VA so I'll start collecting that as soon as I separate instead of having to do all that once I am out. Good luck to you!!

I have a feeling mine is going to come back the same way. I am a Physician Assistant and I have lost my peripheral vision on the bottom right of both my eyes due to a brain tumor. They removed the tumor in Oct 15 but unfortunately there is either residual tumor left OR it is growing back. They put me in for the MEB because of the vision loss stating that I cannot deploy because of it. I have heard that anyone who is in the medical field almost always come back fit with some sort of limitation. That is what I have been told, that they will most likely find me fit just undeployable. I'm still going through the process just to see if they find me unfit but if they find me fit, I'll just put in my intent to separate because at least all my disability will be done with the VA so I'll start collecting that as soon as I separate instead of having to do all that once I am out. Good luck to you!!

I would not necessarily that because you are in the medical corps, that you will be found fit.

I too was referred for a visual field defect (homonymous hemianopsia) as an unfitting condition. I know for a fact that I could have continued to work in my field since I was already performing duties above standard with the condition for four years.

In my case, the standard was AR 40-501 Chapter 3-16 (c).

Hemianopsia, of any type if bilateral, permanent, and based on an organic defect. Those due to a functional neurosis and those due to transitory conditions, such as periodic migraine, are not considered to fall below required standards

rahollow, thanks and good luck to you too. If it comes back as fit for continued active service, Id appeal it. It seems as if 90+% of the medical department comes back as fit (they figure you can always just work at a hospital). But they don't take into account what your actual job may entail or the effect the job may have on you or the patients you work with. From what I've gathered with mine, they were briefed on one thing, and then they hardly glanced at the addendums.

PS. This Thursday will be 3 weeks since I sent up my appeal. Im going to call the PEBLO then and see if he has word on if they overturned the IPEB decision or if Im going to be making an appearance before the FPEB.