Corpsman (Medical) found fit???

I would not necessarily that because you are in the medical corps, that you will be found fit.

I too was referred for a visual field defect (homonymous hemianopsia) as an unfitting condition. I know for a fact that I could have continued to work in my field since I was already performing duties above standard with the condition for four years.

In my case, the standard was AR 40-501 Chapter 3-16 (c).

Hemianopsia, of any type if bilateral, permanent, and based on an organic defect. Those due to a functional neurosis and those due to transitory conditions, such as periodic migraine, are not considered to fall below required standards

So you were found unfit? I have homonymous quadrantanopia and it is the entire bottom right, so an 90 degree angle, if that makes sense? Then I do have residual tumor left as well. From what I was gathering it looks like it will be 30%, 20% for the vision and 10% for the tumor since there is residual left.

I was found unfit for the visual field defect (homonymous hemianopsia 30%) and cervical pain 10%.

Getting the Army to find me unfit for the visual field defect was easy, since it is listed on AR 40-501 as I posted up earlier.

Although I never had any issues performing my duties in a medical lab, the condition does not meet standards because they Army would not let me fire a weapon or drive a govt. vehicle.

My interpretation if that your homonymous quadrantanopsia should be rated at 30% based upon the VASRD:

Visual field defects:
Loss of inferior half of visual field:
Bilateral....................................................................................................................... 30
Unilateral.................................................................................................................... 10

As far as the tumor is concerned I'd push for a 60% TDRL rating if the tumor is benign or 100% TDRL if malignant.

Brain, new growth of:

8002 Malignant 100
Note: The rating in code 8002 will be continued for 2 years following cessation of surgical, chemotherapeutic or other treatment modality. At this point, if the residuals have stabilized, the rating will be made on neurological residuals according to symptomatology.
Minimum rating.............................................................................................................. 30

8003 Benign, minimum............................................................................................................ 60
Rate residuals, minimum........................................................................................... 10

I was found unfit for the visual field defect (homonymous hemianopsia 30%) and cervical pain 10%.

Getting the Army to find me unfit for the visual field defect was easy, since it is listed on AR 40-501 as I posted up earlier.

Although I never had any issues performing my duties in a medical lab, the condition does not meet standards because they Army would not let me fire a weapon or drive a govt. vehicle.

My interpretation if that your homonymous quadrantanopsia should be rated at 30% based upon the VASRD:

Visual field defects:
Loss of inferior half of visual field:
Bilateral....................................................................................................................... 30
Unilateral.................................................................................................................... 10

As far as the tumor is concerned I'd push for a 60% TDRL rating if the tumor is benign or 100% TDRL if malignant.

Brain, new growth of:

8002 Malignant 100
Note: The rating in code 8002 will be continued for 2 years following cessation of surgical, chemotherapeutic or other treatment modality. At this point, if the residuals have stabilized, the rating will be made on neurological residuals according to symptomatology.
Minimum rating.............................................................................................................. 30

8003 Benign, minimum............................................................................................................ 60
Rate residuals, minimum........................................................................................... 10

That is why they put me for the MEB as well. They said I cannot deploy nor would I pass an overseas screening. I have been told that, at least with the Navy, they have been finding people fit but putting that they cannot deploy or do an operational billet.
My tumor is benign, thank God. They did surgically resect it but unfortunately there is residual that surgery does not want to go back and get so they have offered radiation for it. Right now we are just waiting to see if it grows/changes. I haven't done the NAVSUM yet so I am not sure what it says. I have only done the NMA and I have my first meeting with the VA on Thursday. I am really hoping they find me unfit.

How did your appeal go? Did you put in your NMA what you wanted to stay in or get out? I am about to send my package off, but I had my command write in my NMA that I cannot perform my duties as a corpsman due to my shoulder injury and that I do not want to stay in.