Could the PEB process jeoperdize an already established VA rating

lesco431

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in the National Guard (MDAE), currently drilling, and have a VA rating of 80%. I am receiving the 80% compensation and just having a portion of my drill pay reduced because of my drill pay.

Here's the main question:
My service connected disabilities are making it very difficult for me to continue drilling so I spoke with my units discharge SSG and stated that I wish to begin the medical discharge process. In a nutshell, he said that it shouldn't be a problem in getting me a basic medical discharge with no benefits or compensation (basically walking away empty handed) He also said that I will have the option to either take the discharge or pursue the MEB/PEB route, but he warned me that it could result in the lowering of my already established VA rating of 80% if they determine my injuries are less severe then the VA did. Can anyone speak on this matter.

if they determine my injuries are less severe then the VA did
This problem with this quote is, who are "they". The VA will provide the ratings for the MEB/PEB process. So this sentences parses out to "if the VA determines my injuries are less severe than the VA did." Which is a weird way to phrase things. It makes it sound like the VA is arguing with itself.

The VA can come up with new ratings. They do this when evidence shows an improvement in the condition. Part of the MEB/PEB process usually a new C&P exam, as the MEB/PEB needs an official exam of record, and it needs to be recent.

Could this new exam show an improvement? Sure. That's why we go to the docs usually, to get better. So maybe the docs did good things. Since you already have an established rating, it is a little harder than just saying, oh, this is what it is. You have more context, so a doctor saying you're ROM suddenly improved 30 degrees when imaging shows things are the same/worse, well, that says more about you having a good day than any real improvement.