Crohn's Disease...did i mess up?

highfive

Registered Member
Thanks for your help in advance. There is so much information on this site--hopefully this isn't too much of a newbie question. I just found this forum and I hope I am not too late to get what I want (unfit for duty).

Background:
- 10 years, O4 pilot.
- Started having GI issues in 2008. GI doc said it was colitis. No med board. Went on a couple meds, went into remission quickly. Weened myself off the meds after a couple of years.
- Had a few issues since then, but nothing officially documented.
- Early last year, started having GI issues again. Took almost a year to finally see a GI doc again (combination of me being TDY and flight docs trying their own med treatments). Diagnosed with Crohn's after colonoscopy.
- Told from doc it was pretty severe. Have fistula as well.
- Started Humira and Imuran.
- Symptoms have improved dramatically, but still the occasional flare-ups. But typically don't last much longer than 1-2 days.
- Flight Docs said they have to send me to med board because of the diagnosis and medications

Since this process started, I have been somewhat hands off with what has been going on--I have been teetering on whether I wanted to found fit or unfit. Just recently, I finally realized I want to be found unfit.

I have had a couple visits with the doctors and they never really asked me if I wanted to be retained or not. Only asked if I would consider cross-training to RPAs (I said no). Never really said anything else, because I wasn't sure what I wanted (and I think they assumed I wanted to be retained). Last week, my commander said he was writing his letter and he asked if I wanted to be retained. I told him no and told him why. Unfortunately, I have been on leave since then, so I have not seen the letter, and I did not have much input on the rest of the letter. But, I did get a do not retain from my CC.

Here's my big question. Do I need to go tell the doc ASAP that I want to be found unfit? I haven't seen anything they have written yet. I feel bad for waiting this long, but will fight for what I want now. Anything else I should be doing to help my case?

Secondly, with do not retain recommendations, would I have a pretty good chance of getting out? The doc was saying only about a third of Crohn's flyers get the boot--which kind of surprised me...

Sorry for the long post. Thanks so much for your help and input!