CRSC approved, payment generated!

Redstripe101

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So i just received my first CRSC payment today for $497. In a previous thread I made, I have my info out and another member did the confusing math for me and figured I would receive around $473, which I know can always shift a little left or right.

My question is about getting back pay. I thought I would receive backpay before my first payment. Is this something I need to call DFAS about or to call VA about.

So i just received my first CRSC payment today for $497. In a previous thread I made, I have my info out and another member did the confusing math for me and figured I would receive around $473, which I know can always shift a little left or right.

My question is about getting back pay. I thought I would receive backpay before my first payment. Is this something I need to call DFAS about or to call VA about.

It takes DFAS a month or so to get you the back pay. Once DFAS is done, they send your file over to the VA to look at, and see if they owe you back pay. In my case, I was owed both. The VA sent me a separate deposit for their portion of back pay.

How long does it usually take for an answer, yes or no after application is submitted?

When did you submit application ? Just curious in your time frame.

It takes DFAS a month or so to get you the back pay. Once DFAS is done, they send your file over to the VA to look at, and see if they owe you back pay. In my case, I was owed both. The VA sent me a separate deposit for their portion of back pay.
yea, I figured the DoD owes me 3 months, and VA will owe me 3 as well.

How long does it usually take for an answer, yes or no after application is submitted?

it took about 2 months until I received a letter saying I was approved 40% CRSC for my one condition. After that it took about another month before I saw my first CRSC payment today in my bank account, paid by DoD.

I talked to DFAS today and they basically said what Combat Eng said. Basically the DoD will start normal monthly payments, then they will audit the backpay that I am owed. Then they will pass it to the VA and the VA will audit the amount they owe me.

yea, I figured the DoD owes me 3 months, and VA will owe me 3 as well.

it took about 2 months until I received a letter saying I was approved 40% CRSC for my one condition. After that it took about another month before I saw my first CRSC payment today in my bank account, paid by DoD.

I talked to DFAS today and they basically said what Combat Eng said. Basically the DoD will start normal monthly payments, then they will audit the backpay that I am owed. Then they will pass it to the VA and the VA will audit the amount they owe me.

Dear Redstripe101:

Was the 40% CRSC for your one condition - is that the same percentage you were given by the DoD for your TDRL/PDRL?

Or were you given a higher DoD percentage and your CRSC was broken out from that percentage?

Just curious how your situation shook itself out.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Dear Redstripe101:

Was the 40% CRSC for your one condition - is that the same percentage you were given by the DoD for your TDRL/PDRL?

Or were you given a higher DoD percentage and your CRSC was broken out from that percentage?

Just curious how your situation shook itself out.

V/R,
nwlivewire
Yes, I was rated 40% DoD for a single referred condition and received 40% CRSC.

Yes, I was rated 40% DoD for a single referred condition and received 40% CRSC.

You do know CRSC is not just for DOD unfitting conditions? It is for any VA service connected disability as long as you can connect it to the CRSC parameters.

You do know CRSC is not just for DOD unfitting conditions? It is for any VA service connected disability as long as you can connect it to the CRSC parameters.
Yea I know, just worked out like that. Parachute injury pretty cut and dry, others I suffered during non-wartime type training or normal garrison cycles. Couldn't put a date on them, but once I get my anxiety looked at and diagnosed, I'll definitely keep this in mind

Yea I know, just worked out like that. Parachute injury pretty cut and dry, others I suffered during non-wartime type training or normal garrison cycles. Couldn't put a date on them, but once I get my anxiety looked at and diagnosed, I'll definitely keep this in mind
How many years of service did you have? Only reason I ask is because I was CRSC approved at 70% , my DOD is 70% and my VA is 100% IUP&T, I have 7 years active. Wanted to use u as a base line

How many years of service did you have? Only reason I ask is because I was CRSC approved at 70% , my DOD is 70% and my VA is 100% IUP&T, I have 7 years active. Wanted to use u as a base line

It is very easy to figure out what you are going to get. First look up 70%, with your number of your dependents on the VA compensation chart. This will be your max payable CRSC. Next take your Years of Service (YOS) and multiply by 2.5. This will give you your maximum amount of retirement you would get by YOS. Now multiply that percentage by your high three salary average. This will tell you how much per month your retirement pay would be based on YOS. Last step is to take the max payable CRSC that you figured out in the first step. This money will apply to the YOS retirement dollar for dollar. It will look like this:

70% = $1505 (based on you, spouse, and one dependent)
7 X 2.5 = 17.5%
0.175 X $3000 (Use your own high three) = $525 (this would be your DOD retirement based on YOS)
$1505 is applied dollar for dollar against what your YOS retirement pay would have been. This means your CRSC pay would be $525

CRSC is not based on disability percentage. It is always figured on what you make based on years of service. CRSC cannot exceed what you would have made on years of service. The VA compensation table is used to figure what your max that can be used to offset lost YOS retirement dollars.

If you use the formula above, you will be able to figure out what your CRSC payment will be. Just remember where I put $3000 to change it to what your high three average was during your service. You also need to find your dependent situation on the VA compensation tables for 70%

Hope this helps.

Joe

It is very easy to figure out what you are going to get. First look up 70%, with your number of your dependents on the VA compensation chart. This will be your max payable CRSC. Next take your Years of Service (YOS) and multiply by 2.5. This will give you your maximum amount of retirement you would get by YOS. Now multiply that percentage by your high three salary average. This will tell you how much per month your retirement pay would be based on YOS. Last step is to take the max payable CRSC that you figured out in the first step. This money will apply to the YOS retirement dollar for dollar. It will look like this:

7 X 2.5 = 17.5%
0.175 X $3000 (Use your own high three) = $525 (this would be your DOD retirement based on YOS)
$1505 is applied dollar for dollar against what your YOS retirement pay would have been. This means your CRSC pay would be $525

CRSC is not based on disability percentage. It is always figured on what you make based on years of service. CRSC cannot exceed what you would have made on years of service. The VA compensation table is used to figure what your max that can be used to offset lost YOS retirement dollars.

If you use the formula above, you will be able to figure out what your CRSC payment will be. Just remember where I put $3000 to change it to what your high three average was during your service. You also need to find your dependent situation on the VA compensation tables for 70%

Hope this helps.

Joe

Indeed as always, a sound insightful mathematical example explanation about CRSC in my opinion! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

7 X 2.5 = 17.5%

Hope this helps.

Joe
Thanks !

7 X 2.5 = 17.5%

Hope this helps.

Joe
Quick question, I was just recently approved for ptsd claim, how does crsc work since i already receive it for a parachute injury and obviously ptsd claim would also be related. Do they take the higher percentage? I would be at 100 %, so what would i be looking at? Was is almost 8 years, my math has it at 557.83 for 100 % but i already get 500 for 40 % crsc for back injury. Sorry for replying to old thread, just seemed better then creating a new one.

CRSC has a max amount it can pay out, calculated a few different ways.

One cap is the VA payment for that %. Its not the higher percentage, they are added together using VA math. Some a single injury at 40% will create a cap of $587 before considering dependents. Multiple conditions that are combat related getting added together and can become a CRSC 100% rating (or above, if SMC applies). Raising the CRSC rating to 100% increases that cap to about $2900 (before dependents).

However, CRSC cannot exceed the amount of retirement you earned based on years of service. So the $557.83 should be that calculation. The increase of the cap based on the rating % won't effect this. You were already maxed out before adding in the PTSD and other claims.

There is also a cap for the amount of retirement is waived to get VA pay, but not a factor in your current scenario.

I can't speak to the fairness of CRSC being the same for a 40% combat related determination and a 100% combat determination. Congress wrote the laws.

7 X 2.5 = 17.5%

Hope this helps.

Joe
Hey Joe I can't figure this out, can you help me with this I have 25 yrs I am E-7 and only have a spouse now. getting retired in 2 months my i am 70% combat related. can you help me out. I cant do the numbers thing

You mentioned you have 25 years. Is that all active duty time or years that include IDT, etc.? Do you qualify for a regular retirement (i.e., 20 year AD in "regular Army") at this time? Edited to add: I just noticed, "I am National Guard now but have 25 yrs in and about 16 Active."

The following is generally what is used to compute a CH 61's CRSC entitlement.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS.

2. DoD disability retirement percentage.

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months. For reservists: Active Service includes Active Duty (AD), Active Duty for Training (ADT) and Annual Training (AT) days. AD and ADT days includes any prior active duty service and when a National Guardsman or Reservist is called to active duty, including being mobilized, deploying, training, Active Guard Reserve (AGR)/Full Time Support (FTS), etc. AT days are the annual two week training. Your points that count for AD are divided by 360 to determine the years and months equivalent. I am not a reservist so I have not seen the document(s) that provide that info.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required).

Note: Residual retired pay left after VA offset (waiver of retired pay) will reduce the amount of CRSC payable.

Last edited:
I need some help calculating my retirement pay. I am an E-7 with 19 yrs and have been medically retired through the med board. I received 60% through DOD. The PEBLO sent an estimate of 2688.00 per month retirement pay. I receive 80% with spouse through VA, 1719.25. I am eligible for CRSC due to combat related injuries two injuries both rate 60% together. Can anyone help with the expected estimate on final line?

If you provide the info requested/shown (for another veteran) at post 17, I can provide a CRSC estimate.
Please provide a reply to every numbered item and all of them included in one post. One veteran provided the info over a two hour period in five separate messages/posts (on another board)...

Regards,
Ron

MY high three average was 4625.
number years of service was 19
My VA disability was 1719.25 with spouse
2 disabilities for combat related CRSC through DOD was 60%
My Peblo sent me a calculated estimate of 2688 for 60% DOD disability retirement.
I am trying to get an estimate of my final retirement picture.
Thanks for all you do.
Darrin