DBQ question

epb315

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am waiting on my MEB results but I was able to access my DBQ from my PTSD exam. I am hoping some more experienced members might be able to give me some insight on what rating I might expect based on the attached DBQ (I believe I removed all PII). I am still struggling day to day with anxiety, sleeplessness, nightmares etc, so a part of me doesn't even care what they rate me however a part of me worries about providing for my family and so it matters. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• VA PTSD doc_Redacted.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 63
[X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood

This matches up to the VASRD. The examiner clearly indicates that he believes you are at a 70% level.

scoutCC,
Thank you for the feedback. That rating would certainly be helpful for the future. Like I said most days it's hard to even care, but I am concerned for my family.

I am waiting on my MEB results but I was able to access my DBQ from my PTSD exam. I am hoping some more experienced members might be able to give me some insight on what rating I might expect based on the attached DBQ (I believe I removed all PII). I am still struggling day to day with anxiety, sleeplessness, nightmares etc, so a part of me doesn't even care what they rate me however a part of me worries about providing for my family and so it matters. Any insight would be appreciated.
scoutCC,
Thank you for the feedback. That rating would certainly be helpful for the future. Like I said most days it's hard to even care, but I am concerned for my family.
Indeed, I would definitely concur with @scoutCC feedback in reference to a potential DoVA 70% proposed rating at this point in time.

To that extent, I completely comprehend your current PTSD symptomology since I originally received a DoVA 50% official rating upon placement onto the DoD TDRL. Since the completion of my six-month PTSD re-evaluation after placement onto the DoD TDRL, I was given a DoVA 100% official rating for PTSD albeit I was continued on DoD TDRL for another 12 months.

That all said, please try to remain "strong" for not only yourself but for your family as well; I definitely know it's a very difficult task for sure. As such, your family should continue to be your primary focus in my opinion; I truly believe that's the only reason why I am still alive today! Take care and enjoy life my friend! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Indeed, I would definitely concur with @scoutCC feedback in reference to a potential DoVA 70% proposed rating at this point in time.

To that extent, I completely comprehend your current PTSD symptomology since I originally received a DoVA 50% official rating upon placement onto the DoD TDRL. Since the completion of my six-month PTSD re-evaluation after placement onto the DoD TDRL, I was given a DoVA 100% official rating for PTSD albeit I was continued on DoD TDRL for another 12 months.

That all said, please try to remain "strong" for not only yourself but for your family as well; I definitely know it's a very difficult task for sure. As such, your family should continue to be your primary focus in my opinion; I truly believe that's the only reason why I am still alive today! Take care and enjoy life my friend! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thank you for the feedback.
Here is a follow-up. I looked at the latest updates to my C&P exams and saw this under the General Medical Separation Health Assessment under 2. Medical History (review of symptoms)

v. Psychiatric:
[X] Yes[ ] No

If Yes:
PTSD, anxiety, depression, adjustment disorder: see DBQ

PTSD SCREEN PC-PTSD
-------------------
In your life, have you ever had any experience that was
so
frightening, horrible, or upsetting that, in the past
month, you:

1. Have had nightmares about it or thought about it
when you did
not want to?
[ ] Yes[X] No

2. Tried hard not to think about it or went out of your
way to
avoid situations that reminded you of it?
[ ] Yes[X] No

3. Were constantly on guard, watchful, or easily
startled?
[ ] Yes[X] No

4. Felt numb or detached from others, activities, or
your
surroundings?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Depression screen: PHQ2
-----------------------
Over the past two weeks, how often have you been
bothered by any of
the following problems?

Little interest or pleasure in doing things.
[ ] 0 = Not at all[ ] 1 = Several days[ ] 2 = More
than half the
days[X] 3 = Nearly every day

Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless.
[ ] 0 = Not at all[ ] 1 = Several days[X] 2 = More
than half the
days[ ] 3 = Nearly every day

Brief Suicide Risk Assessment
-----------------------------
- (Perform if score positive on Depression or PTSD
screens)

Are you feeling hopeless about the present or future?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Have you had thoughts about taking your life - if yes -
when did
you have these thoughts and do you have a plan to
take your
life?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Have you ever had a suicide attempt?
[X] Yes[ ] No

This concerned me because its not accurate to check some of these "no" and to the best of my recollection this Dr never asked me any of these questions. However I saw the note to reference the DBQ. Does that mean the Dr deferred to the Mental Health provider that did that portion of the C&P? I just a little confused, but don't want to ignore it if the Dr messed something up.

yep, solid 70%. criteria below:

VA mental health Rating criteria key wording:
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought process or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name …………………..100%
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships ...................................... 70%
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining Effective work and social relationships ………………..50%
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events) ............................ 30%
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication .................. 10%
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication .............................. 0%

Thank you for the feedback.
Here is a follow-up. I looked at the latest updates to my C&P exams and saw this under the General Medical Separation Health Assessment under 2. Medical History (review of symptoms)

v. Psychiatric:
[X] Yes[ ] No

If Yes:
PTSD, anxiety, depression, adjustment disorder: see DBQ

PTSD SCREEN PC-PTSD
-------------------
In your life, have you ever had any experience that was
so
frightening, horrible, or upsetting that, in the past
month, you:

1. Have had nightmares about it or thought about it
when you did
not want to?
[ ] Yes[X] No

2. Tried hard not to think about it or went out of your
way to
avoid situations that reminded you of it?
[ ] Yes[X] No

3. Were constantly on guard, watchful, or easily
startled?
[ ] Yes[X] No

4. Felt numb or detached from others, activities, or
your
surroundings?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Depression screen: PHQ2
-----------------------
Over the past two weeks, how often have you been
bothered by any of
the following problems?

Little interest or pleasure in doing things.
[ ] 0 = Not at all[ ] 1 = Several days[ ] 2 = More
than half the
days[X] 3 = Nearly every day

Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless.
[ ] 0 = Not at all[ ] 1 = Several days[X] 2 = More
than half the
days[ ] 3 = Nearly every day

Brief Suicide Risk Assessment
-----------------------------
- (Perform if score positive on Depression or PTSD
screens)

Are you feeling hopeless about the present or future?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Have you had thoughts about taking your life - if yes -
when did
you have these thoughts and do you have a plan to
take your
life?
[ ] Yes[X] No

Have you ever had a suicide attempt?
[X] Yes[ ] No

This concerned me because its not accurate to check some of these "no" and to the best of my recollection this Dr never asked me any of these questions. However I saw the note to reference the DBQ. Does that mean the Dr deferred to the Mental Health provider that did that portion of the C&P? I just a little confused, but don't want to ignore it if the Dr messed something up.
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry or be overly concerned about those "screen" test results for PTSD and depression at all. But, if it is causing you a lot of unnecessary stress at this point, then I would suggest that you immediately contact your PEBLO and MSC then describe your concerns for any potential remedy.

In retrospect, my active duty military medical records, current military retiree medical records, and current DoVA medical records all show some inaccuracies with those PTSD and depression "screen" test also. But, for sure, it definitely didn't effect my overall DoVA official rating for PTSD at this point in time. Take care and enjoy life my friend! :cool:

Best Wishes!