Decision Point

Grybakdow

Registered Member
Quick Background:

SSG, Active Duty

19 years, 8.5 months Active Federal Service
7 years Reserves

- not in MEB. Clinical.
- Intra-post transfer to a WTU for 2x surgeries and rehab.
- Surgery #1 completed before in-process to WTU.
- Rehab from surgery #1 is expected to be a year (feet - both).
- Arrive WTU, begin rehab process. No walking for 4 months post surgery.
- WTU knows that there is a 2nd surgery needed (Not emergency, medically necessary, but optional). PCM, NCM, LCSW, 1SG, CDR, CSM, BC all very aware of this.
- Get clearance from surgeon to do #2 in Jan/Feb ‘18.
- Surgical packet sent up.

* surgery denied *

Now what?

I’ve have been trying to get these two surgeries done for the past 3-4 years. Got a date 2 years ago, but DA felt I needed to PCS. I got an approved Compassionate Reassignment specifically for this reason.

I hit the 20 year mark in mid-February 2018.

Do I fight the system to get the surgery?
Do I take the findings for the fit for duty and go back to a unit, only to drop my retirement packet?
Does Mother Army push me out with little to no transition?
Does not getting the surgery up the potential VA rating? Army broke me, but did not find the time to fix me.
Am I about to get the Big Green Weenie one more time?

Looking for suggestions/recommendations

Do I fight the system to get the surgery?

In my opinion, I think you should. Since you are in the WTU, it would be more difficult for them to retaliate against you.

Do I take the findings for the fit for duty and go back to a unit, only to drop my retirement packet?
It is not likley you will see a fit for duty finding. Especially if you drag out the post surgical rehabilitation.

Does Mother Army push me out with little to no transition?
Very little chance of this happening, the only way to push you out at this point is a MEB, that will take 295 days at a minimum and push you over the 20Y mark.

Does not getting the surgery up the potential VA rating? Army broke me, but did not find the time to fix me.
It could potentially improve the rating, especially since the goal of surgery is to make the symptoms of a condition improve.

Am I about to get the Big Green Weenie one more time?
I do not think so, in my opinion your destiny has been written. You have served nearly a full career, that is something to be proud of. If you want to serve beyond 20 years, you will need to rehabilitate yourself to the point of getting a RTD finding. The WTU will give you 12 months to do this, however typically they would like to see your RTD within 6 months.

Do not drop your retirement packet, if they accept it, you will not be given a MEB (presumption of fitness rule) and will have to either file for Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) with the VA, or a traditional C&P claim. The beauty about being put through the IDES with the military is that you will continue to draw pay and allowances while the VA and DoD sorts out your rating.