Demob to WTU

Decimus

Registered Member
hello all, I wasn't sure where to post my specific case but I need some help.

I was deployed in Kuwait recently and suffered an injury that resulted in a complete tear of my left ACL, probably miniscus as well. I did not have an MRI in Kuwait as they did not have the machine to do it. But I saw their orthopedic surgeon who was 100% confident in the diagnosis due to mobility tests and knee instability. This injury was a mod 12 disqualification from theater and I was told I had to go home and get surgery and rehab at a WTU.

I am a reservist who was mobilized, and upon getting to fort hood I am now being told that they will not send me to wtu. And to just go home and have the VA and tricare fix it.

This injury was sustained overseas during PT so clearly is in line of duty. And if it was bad enough to send me home it surely should be bad enough for the army to fix it.

As it stands I am in a brace with very limited mobility, and am being told to just go home and have it taken care of. We all know how the VA waiting lists can be to say nothing of lost time from civilian work if I'm supposed to do surgery and rehab. I don't think being shuffled out the door so I'm not their problem is the right answer, and need some help on getting them to send me to wtu so I can get this fixed and the rehab done right.

Thanks!

hello all, I wasn't sure where to post my specific case but I need some help.

I was deployed in Kuwait recently and suffered an injury that resulted in a complete tear of my left ACL, probably miniscus as well. I did not have an MRI in Kuwait as they did not have the machine to do it. But I saw their orthopedic surgeon who was 100% confident in the diagnosis due to mobility tests and knee instability. This injury was a mod 12 disqualification from theater and I was told I had to go home and get surgery and rehab at a WTU.

I am a reservist who was mobilized, and upon getting to fort hood I am now being told that they will not send me to wtu. And to just go home and have the VA and tricare fix it.

This injury was sustained overseas during PT so clearly is in line of duty. And if it was bad enough to send me home it surely should be bad enough for the army to fix it.

As it stands I am in a brace with very limited mobility, and am being told to just go home and have it taken care of. We all know how the VA waiting lists can be to say nothing of lost time from civilian work if I'm supposed to do surgery and rehab. I don't think being shuffled out the door so I'm not their problem is the right answer, and need some help on getting them to send me to wtu so I can get this fixed and the rehab done right.

Thanks!
Brother I went through almost the exact same time and I'm a reservist.... I went through Ft Hood as well and they tried pushing me out to the VA saying its not a WTU treatment qualifier. It is if you couldn't deploy and they say you need surgery it is. Don't take no for an answer, it was the probably the hardest time in my military career to get to WTU. However, FT Hood - contact the ombudsman at the main hospital and do not continue with any other process at SRP for demob just stop and say to are inquiring with legal or Jag and I would definitely do ICE compliants about your situation. Look up FT Hood hospital ICE complaints on google should have something. Make this thing a problem for them. You are suppose to get treated. Do not take no for an answer. I was in the same boat being told no but I went everywhere other then SRP cause the sooner you clear SRP they well send you home. DO NOT CLEAR SRP go straight to the ombudsman and JAG at FT Hood. Listen to me do this you are entitle to get medical care do not take no for an answer no matter the rank that is in front of you. The head Medical officer at SRP is the one who generates the WTU packet request. If you don't fight it will be impossible for you to get WTU while back on Reservist status.

Thank you for the advice, I will go and speak with them. I managed to get them to schedule me a consult with ortho, so I'm hoping once he sees the notes from Kuwait ortho that they'll take this more seriously, as the injury absolutely needs long term medical attention.

Yea I went to ortho to and he tried to say it was elective and kept with the statement for a ehile. I had to keep fighting them and eventually got sent to wtu for the surgery

Same shit happened to me. You can push to stay on orders (voluntary). They will cut a 60 day MRP order for evaluation, then 179 day orders after that for treatment. 12301d.

Do not argue with the SRP site, if they still try to push you out, you can go to the Wounded Warrior Ombudsman. If you do get sent back to your unit, they can put you back on orders (MRP2) to get treatment. I have seen soldiers get pushed out by SRP, return to their unit, MRP2 orders cut and then come right back to the SRP site.

Here is a link to a phone number to help you out. http://www.ddeamc.amedd.army.mil/wtb/wsfsHotline.aspx

I have heard the opposite with getting cleared from SRP and then being placed on MRP orders from your home unit. The reason was if you clear SRP why are should you go to WTU for medical if it wasn't determined at the SRP site. I'm not advocating arguing just stand your ground and seek assistance if you need it.

That's what I'm afraid of, that if I go home I'll never be able to get back on orders to get fixed. My civilian job isn't an option if I'm going through extensive surgery and rehab, and I'm already starting to favor my good leg and I'm afraid I'll damage that knee too in the long run. I just need them to fix me.

Update. They acknowledge that the knee requires surgery. And rehab. But they want me to go to physical therapy first. Which they say isn't part of wtu and go just go home, do physical therapy and then have my unit drop a wtu packet to come back on orders.

Still seems wrong to me, if they know I need surgery soon. Thoughts?

Update. They acknowledge that the knee requires surgery. And rehab. But they want me to go to physical therapy first. Which they say isn't part of wtu and go just go home, do physical therapy and then have my unit drop a wtu packet to come back on orders.

Still seems wrong to me, if they know I need surgery soon. Thoughts?
That is wrong, if you have an injury that occurred on active duty, you need to be treated on active duty if this is your wish. The option of sending you home for physical therapy is not correct. If this happens it is not likely that you would ever come back on orders. The WTU was designed for circumstances like this.

I would contact the ombudsman at ft hood as well as legal because this is wrong. if the want physical therapy then they should send you to wtu for physical therapy first and then determine surgery or not