poohbear331

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I know someone has posted this before-

I did go searching for the answer first

but-
What is the difference?
can dependents use VA educations assistance instead of GI Bill ?

thanks

yes log on to Ebenefits and go to Manage tab, click on education, and then click on POST 9/11 GI bill Transfer there is a section you have to check each block that looks like this under your dependents name.

Transferability of Education Benefits Acknowledgements:
a) I am eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the program I am applying to transfer.
b) I understand I may transfer up to 36 months (or my remaining months of eligibility, whichever is less) of my education benefits to spouse and/or children, and can modify or revoke my election at any time.
c) I understand that my spouse may use the benefit immediately and children (ages 18-26) after I have served 10 years.
d) I understand and agree to remain in the Armed Forces for the period required. I understand that failure to complete that service may lead to an overpayment by the Department of Veterans Affairs for any payments made. (Service documentation will remain on file with the Service).
e) I understand that I am responsible for any overpayments due to not completing my additional obligated term of service agreement.
f) I understand that in order to request this transfer, if I'm eligible for the MGIB (Chapter 30, 38 USC), or the MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606, 10 USC) or REAP (Chapter 1607, 10 USC), I am converting from that program to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This conversion is irrevocable.
g) I may not receive more than a total of 48 months of benefits under two or more programs.
h) If electing Chapter 33 in lieu of Chapter 30, my months of entitlement under Chapter 33 will be limited to the number of months of entitlement remaining under Chapter 30 on the effective date of my election. However, if I completely exhaust my entitlement remaining under Chapter 30 before the effective date of my Chapter 33 election, I may receive up to 12 additional months of benefits under Chapter 33.
i) My conversion to the Post-9/11 GI Bill is irrevocable and may not be changed. However, I retain the right to change or modify months of entitlement at any time until they are exhausted.

If you do make sure you keep at least one month for yourself for VR&E.

Thanks for the info-

I had already transferred GI bill to dependents
What I was looking for is if you are 100% can dependents use I think chapter 35 the dependent education program or do you have to be permanent and total?
and if you need the P&T how do you go about that?

thanks

Thanks for the info-

I had already transferred GI bill to dependents
What I was looking for is if you are 100% can dependents use I think chapter 35 the dependent education program or do you have to be permanent and total?
and if you need the P&T how do you go about that?

thanks
You have to be 100% P & T.

dotlak
thanks-

what is the difference and how do you go about getting P&T added or changed?

dotlak
thanks-

Well, you should have something that says "granted chap 35 benefit" in your VA letter or you can go to ebenefit and print out your VA letter. If the box is no for permanent and total, then you might want to do a NOD. This benefit was included in my own VA rating letter.

dotlak
thanks-

Another question I need to ask you is that are you presently rated 100%? The reason am asking is that, I see 80% VA on your timeline. You have to be 100% P & T to get chap 35

was recently increased to 100%

Just wanted to add some info I came across recently. The 100% vs. 100% P&T can have an affect on other (non-VA) benefits as well.

For instance, in the state I just moved to, Maryland, the P&T makes you eligible for exemption from property taxes on your primary residence. If you know Maryland and taxes, this is a huge benefit.

Some VA ratings are not permanent. To be P&T your 100% rating has to be based on permanent ratings.