Differing Diagnoses

jw59

Registered Member
I was diagnosed by an AF Psychiatrist with Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety and Depressed mood over a year ago but was diagnosed during the C&P with Major Depression Recurrent. My psychiatrist included a letter that disagrees with the VA diagnosis in the package that went to the board.

Does anyone have experience with claims that have different diagnoses for the same unfitting condition? How does this usually get resolved?

Compensation wise the diagnosis makes little difference, except adjustment disorder may be viewed as preexisting! I'd as for an IMR.

I'm with chaplain. Generally, different MH conditions are rated the same based on smptoms and their impact on life. You situation is unique, in that one of the diagnosis is a condition the military could call preexisting and not compensatory.

As of my initial ratings, the va stuck with the condition written by the VA paid evaluator, who met me once, and not my doc who knew me over a year; even with an mfr of disagreement like you mentioned. In my case, it's just a label, no change in ratings/compensation /service connection.

I'm with chaplain. Generally, different MH conditions are rated the same based on smptoms and their impact on life. You situation is unique, in that one of the diagnosis is a condition the military could call preexisting and not compensatory.

As of my initial ratings, the va stuck with the condition written by the VA paid evaluator, who met me once, and not my doc who knew me over a year; even with an mfr of disagreement like you mentioned. In my case, it's just a label, no change in ratings/compensation /service connection.

Thanks for the input. Fortunately, in my case the MH disorder did not appear until 5 years in the AF and I have no medical history history of MH prior so calling it preexisting has not been brought up.