Dual process MEB and general discharge

Lucy33

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My admin paper work has processed (general discharge) and my MEB results have come back (50% TDRL). Now both packages are being sent up to the SECAF for a decision on how I will be sent out (either admin or med). Does anyone have any insight on how long this will take or what the decision may be?

50% TDRL...I am going to assume it was a mental health related condition?

Any chance your disability that you were boarded for was a contributing factor in your general discharge?

I feel like the SECAF will go with the admin discharge and I really don’t want to wait another 3-6 months to find out. Someone said that I could possibly waive my right to the meb. I am going to get a more official answer on Monday. If that were true, would still qualify for VA compensation?

Ref discharge: Any thing other than a dishonorable discharge qualifies for VA benefits, but there are other requirements, like time served. A TDRL might be worth the wait! If your behavior is tied to your disability, my guess is the the SECAF will favor the TDRL.

Ref discharge: Any thing other than a dishonorable discharge qualifies for VA benefits, but there are other requirements, like time served. A TDRL might be worth the wait! If your behavior is tied to your disability, my guess is the the SECAF will favor the TDRL.
Even if the discharge was from substantance abuse?

Even if the discharge was from substantance abuse?

Yes, you just need to demonstrate that the substance abuse was an attempt to self medicate because of the trauma associated with your BH condition. Its a pretty easy argument to demonstrate.

Typically crimes of moral turpitude are the only ones that will keep your from receiving VA benefits.

Does anyone have any idea how long the it will take for the SECAF to review and make a decision on my package? I was told today it would take 6 months or longer. Has anyone heard of a package getting finished earlier?

With the exception of education benefits. While a general discharge will still qualify for disability compensation and medical care, the GI bill will be unavailable without an honorable discharge.