Dual Status - Medical Worries

Bleedblue

Registered Member
Hi and thanks for taking a look.

I was recently diagnosed with pigmentary glaucoma. I am worried about my future as a dual status guardsman.

I have invested quite a few years in the military with 15 years of total service, 4 active, 6 traditional, and 5 years dual status, being discharged now with nothing to show for it would be terrible.

My concern is where this is going to leave me. If I suffer visual field loss I could be disqualified, not to mention that the condition can be exacerbated by physical activity.

Do I have any recourse as a federal technician or guardsman if I were to be medically separated?

I seen something which indicated I might fall under a federal medical retirement(60/40) if I can't be relocated to a suitable federal position, under common law. It seems strange to talk about a retirement though when I would be capable of working still, just not capable of meeting military standards. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

On the other hand, would my 15 years of service be wasted or could I seek something on that end? This type of glaucoma might have been exacerbated by my service but it would still only be like a 10% disability(due to lifelong medication requirement) unless it progressed to a degree of blindness which is not likely to happen until it has had suitable time to progress because it is a slow disease. Is there some exception to still being given credit for a retirement if I were separated early for medical reasons?

This news kind of took me by surprise, I thought I was healthy and had another 20 years but it looks now like I might not see those years. I am worried about what that means for me if/when I am separated.

Thank you!

You are in a unique position if the pigmentary glaucoma is the only condition that you feel may make you unfit for duty.

IOP outside of normal limits (>22) will typically trigger a MEB during a periodic health assessment. (happened to me) Fortunately in my case, I had a few normal measurements which made the condition fall off the radar.

You would fall under AR 40-501 Chapter 3-15 d. It reads as follows: Glaucoma, if resistant to treatment or affecting visual fields as in a above, or if side effects of required medication are functionally incapacitating.

What is most important at this time, is to make sure that you are getting the best treatment you can for the condition. Laser Iridotomy is one form of treatment that can help.

Eventually I was found unfit for a visual field defect (homonymous hemianopsia) which was caused by traumatic brain injury. During the diagnosis phase for this, I was also found to have retinal hemorrhaging which was the cause of my elevated IOP. It took about 10 sessions of laser surgery to fix.