facing navy adjustment disorder discharge

nickmatty

Registered Member
I am currently a Navy nuclear electrician's mate third class and have been active Navy for 32 months. Around my 1 year mark I suffered an anxiety attack in a classroom training session that resulted in me losing consciousness and a medical emergency. I was scared at the time to say it was an anxiety attack as I feared being separated. The navy kind of brushed it off and moved on and I went back to work the next day. I suffered from severe anxiety and depression for the next year and a half until now. 2 months ago I had this happen again while standing watch on the boat. They removed me and put me in a shore command while I saw the psychologist. She is recommending a 1910-120 adjustment disorder discharge and told me to think it over and let her know if I want her to proceed. How will this affect my GI bill? Will I receive an honorable discharge? Will I have to pay back a portion of my $11,000 signing bonus? Will I get separation pay? Do I have a case to pursue a medical discharge? I don't know much about this process at all. I was simply asked if I wanted to have the psychologist pursue an administrative separation for me that would basically mean that I cant perform my job anymore but I do not qualify for any disability.

Personally I think the anxiety is a disability. It controls every moment of my life from driving to grocery shopping to my job. I think the psychologist doesn't believe that it is service related though because I have never been on a deployment. I am just unsure of what my options are and what will happen to me if I go ahead and let them do an ADSEP for adjustment disorder.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would highly consider TREATMENT. Anxiety is treatable. I would hate to life the rest of a young life not knowing when I might lose consciousness, plus all the angst it causes within. Separations is likely not a quick fix.

nickmatty

Registered Member
I have been undergoing treatment. Ive been on a few different medications now and have been seeing a psychologist. Unfortunately nothing is helping with getting the anxiety to go away enough to return to work so I believe a separation is inevitable. Before being removed from the boat I wasn't fully passing out but I was having regular anxiety/panic attacks that brought me to the point of blacking out while remaining conscious on about a biweekly occasion. However, I feel like the adjustment disorder separation is the navys quick way of kicking me out and basically screwing me over. That's why I am very unsure what to do. I am tempted to take their offer of a quick separation and get to just go home and avoid a long drawn out and stressful process, but I just don't know how its going to affect my future if I take an administrative separation vs. fighting for a medical discharge. I don't know if I even have a case to try and push for a medical board. They kind of made me feel like its not worthy of a disability rating.

nickmatty

Registered Member
I was told if they do an administrative separation it could be signed by the CO and id be separated in under a month just like that with no disability rating or any help whatsoever, its all happening very fast and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

nickmatty

Registered Member
The medications had really bad side effects and I told them I wasn't going to take them anymore. The experience I had on them made me way too scared to take them anymore. I think that's when they gave up and figured I was unwilling to get help and recommended a quick ADSEP.

euphonix

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am currently a Navy nuclear electrician's mate third class and have been active Navy for 32 months. Around my 1 year mark I suffered an anxiety attack in a classroom training session that resulted in me losing consciousness and a medical emergency. I was scared at the time to say it was an anxiety attack as I feared being separated. The navy kind of brushed it off and moved on and I went back to work the next day. I suffered from severe anxiety and depression for the next year and a half until now. 2 months ago I had this happen again while standing watch on the boat. They removed me and put me in a shore command while I saw the psychologist. She is recommending a 1910-120 adjustment disorder discharge and told me to think it over and let her know if I want her to proceed. How will this affect my GI bill? Will I receive an honorable discharge? Will I have to pay back a portion of my $11,000 signing bonus? Will I get separation pay? Do I have a case to pursue a medical discharge? I don't know much about this process at all. I was simply asked if I wanted to have the psychologist pursue an administrative separation for me that would basically mean that I cant perform my job anymore but I do not qualify for any disability.

Personally I think the anxiety is a disability. It controls every moment of my life from driving to grocery shopping to my job. I think the psychologist doesn't believe that it is service related though because I have never been on a deployment. I am just unsure of what my options are and what will happen to me if I go ahead and let them do an ADSEP for adjustment disorder.
I can tell you my experience from the Air Force side. As long as there is no misconduct involving the discharge should be honorable. I had to fight and appeal with the VA to be eligible for the GI bill because the discharge was not considered a disability, you have over 24 months in service so you may not have the same problem. No separation pay for adjustment disorders, its the quickest, dirtiest, cheapest way to get you out of the military. I would fight for disability now, fighting with the BCMR’s later is a nightmare. If I could do it over, I would have fought like hell to make sure I didn’t get an adjustment disorder discharge, I regret it every day.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">