fighting and hiring attorney to get MEB instead of chapter 517 worth?

es2330

Registered Member
so complicated situation, I'm going through chapter 5-17 for adjustment disorder and depression mood. had one suicidal thought and that's it, I'm getting better. I initially agreed to be chapter on Feb 2018. but there is medical condition that I'm going through as well. (injured on aug 2017)my back and leg was the issue, and since I was harassed by ncos including PSG and PL for having profile and stuff over 3 months, that's how I got depressed. When MRI result for my back came out, my PCM said I'm just experiencing psychological pain, and that's how he recorded my history and phase2. now, I went to pain management, got it referred by the pa, the doctor at pain management's assessment was
disc displacement, lumbar
annular tear of lumbar disc
and lumbar radiculitis, and he added that
he has a legitimate injury and as a former aviation brigade flight surgeon, if this soldier is to be separated from the army prior to ets, it should he through MEB not administrative chapter. then he introduced me an attorney, and have appt with them this friday. my chapter packet is in legal. I don't know when it's gonna get back to me, but how much (estimate) do an attorney charge in range? and do I have a good chance of it?

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You have some chance. It depends on how your C&P exam goes in terms of restricted range of motion and nerve groups affected by your injury. Each attorney sets his/her own rates. But just any attorney will not do. You need an attorney that deals with the MEB/PEB/chapter process on a regular basis. Joe the divorce lawyers isn't going to be up to speed on the process.

es2330

Registered Member
You have some chance. It depends on how your C&P exam goes in terms of restricted range of motion and nerve groups affected by your injury. Each attorney sets his/her own rates. But just any attorney will not do. You need an attorney that deals with the MEB/PEB/chapter process on a regular basis. Joe the divorce lawyers isn't going to be up to speed on the process.
according to my doctor who recommended me to the attorney, the attorney was his pa when he was brigade flight surgeon. and deals with military laws.
would you look at it as worth it for paying an attorney?
i know i'm the one who make the deicision in the end, but wanna have some idea of it

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I tend to look at the dollars and then decide. Some people want "justice" at all cost; regardless of the time, money, effort... Which kind of person are you?

Questions: Will you qualify for VA benefits on a chapter? If so, will there be any additional benefits to a medical retirement besides Tricare. Is keeping Tricare important to you.

Until you know the answers to these questions, any advice would be like spitting into the wind.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">