Final paycheck question

Tigerbearlove08

Registered Member
My husband has completed his medboard and been on term leave since November. His final day in the Army is Jan 22, 2014. My question is when is considered his final paycheck? The Jan 15th one or the Feb 1st one ( cause they would have to pay him the 7 days correct?) as I know they hold the final check for 6 weeks. DFAS won't give me a straight answer and no one seems to want to be helpful with that info.

Thanks so much guys!!!

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Veteran
My husband has completed his medboard and been on term leave since November. His final day in the Army is Jan 22, 2014. My question is when is considered his final paycheck? The Jan 15th one or the Feb 1st one ( cause they would have to pay him the 7 days correct?) as I know they hold the final check for 6 weeks. DFAS won't give me a straight answer and no one seems to want to be helpful with that info.

Thanks so much guys!!!
If he properly cleared finance before final out, then there shouldn't be an issue with holding his pay for "6 weeks". :) I think you'll get the second part of Jan pay before or on the 1 Feb. Just my take on it. You might try calling the finance office where he cleared an inquire with them...as probably much quicker than calling DFAS. (Make sure to talk to supervisor, not a spec 4 answering the phone). :)

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Veteran
After final day and blue id card is issued, DFAS will audit the members pay account and then issues any balance to the member.

all said and done, it will likely be after the first but before/on the 15th. Then retired pay will start from the DoD, until the va finalizes his claim, settles up with DFAS etc. and his VA pay will start.

Combat Eng

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You will be paid mid month pay, and then final pay for jan 16-22(also any sold leave) will be paid soon after separation, me personally got my final pay the day i retired, some I've seen takes a while, everyone different

If retired you should get first retirement check about 30 days or so after retiring, DFAS pays first check anyday of the month once your retirement account is established and the remaining checks will come 1st of the month until VA kicks in which can take 1-5 months (backpay will go from Feb 1st till date of ratings finalized)

vet-bama

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for asking the question Tiger...I'm in the same situation and was wondering if there was any gaps in DFAS paying us once we reach retirement and waiting for the VA.

jenjen1984

Registered Member
very confused,
we received our final les on mypay for november last day on AD was nov 9th, we received money on the 12th of nov. is that it on paycheck theres also a det hdlpay in remarks under his les and .00 eom balance. we tried contacting dfas here in the us no answers tho we were told to call our overseas finance department which is impossible. any advice tia

T-man

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Firstly congratulations on your retirement. I am not a finance person, but my
advise is to keep calling DFAS until you get an explanation.

Below is a user friendly Breakdown of DFAS locations to make your job a little easier:
There are 5 DFAS locations and none overseas. Each have their own functions.
-While on Army Active Duty, DFAS Indianapolis handles your pay
-but when retired, all your stuff will be transferred to DFAS Cleveland,
- if you are retired overseas, they have something called International Direct Deposit (IDD), which is done at DFAS London, Kentucky.
- The other DFAS location that people gets easily confused as being overseas is DFAS Rome which is in New York.
-The last DFAS is at Maine.

You can google these locations for their contact information. For your situation, I think you need to contact DFAS Cleveland. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

SuperSerrano

Registered Member
I called DFAS today with the same question and was told 30-45 business days to expect your final pay. Here is the number I called 888-332-7366

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">