First pay timeline question

KeithB03

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone, I was trying to get correct information about my first payment. I was medically retired on 8 Jan2018, my VA claim still isn’t complete it says “under review”. Someone told me that I will receive the “TDRL retirement pay (50%)” until my VA kicks in. Is this true? And if so would that mean 1feb I would get that?

Thanks for any information.

Check you LES you should but it will only be for the month or Jan, specifically the 9th-31st.

VA pay will begin on Feb1, however you will get your 1st check on Mar 1st.

You may have to harass DFAS for the DoD retirement money for January. I had the same scenario as you (retired on the 8th) and never got a cent from DFAS.

Check you LES you should but it will only be for the month or Jan, specifically the 9th-31st.
VA pay will begin on Feb1, however you will get your 1st check on Mar 1st.
You may have to harass DFAS for the DoD retirement money for January. I had the same scenario as you (retired on the 8th) and never got a cent from DFAS.

That (not being paid for 23 days after entering a retired status on the 8th) was a DFAS error as you obviously know.

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 1

A. Monthly Pay. Compute monthly pay as if each month had 30 days. The daily rate is 1/30 of the monthly rate.

B. Intermediate Day. When retirement begins on an intermediate day of the month, compute pay at the rate of 1/30 for the actual number of days after date of retirement but only through the 30th day of that month. If pay begins on February 28, then pay accrues for 3 days. If the pay begins on February 29, then pay accrues for 2 days.

Generally, DFAS does a fine job. That said, a couple of their audits for CRSC pertaining to my case were incorrect. Eventually, they were repaired.

I had a positive experience with DFAS. My check was received within a few days of normal.

Likewise, the VA paid right on time.

I am going on 3 months of not being paid. Retired 28 Sep 17. Just be sure to call DFAS if you go more than a month without retired pay because there was probably a submission issue like in my case where Navy did not give them the correct information and instead of DFAS contacting the Navy they let it sit until I contacted them.