formal board being scheduled

husband's formal board is being scheduled, he gets the date tomorrow. he was found fit, contested, and now this.

for those who have been found fit, then contested to be found unfit - is it frowned upon if you are unable to attend the FPEB in person? my husband's referring condition to the MEB in the first place is severe migraines [4-6 times a week, depending] and long car travels and flights upset the migraines, greatly, and cause them to come on full force.

we have been told by members here that you can do this via telephone - but for those who have been through a FPEB, do you feel it was frowned upon that you did not show? do you feel your DOD rating was a certain number due to you not being there? there's no rating he is hoping for, he would be happy with 10% honestly - but just trying to get feedback from those who have been through the process. we are 5-7 hours from DC, but there is no way he can make the trip

I feel showing up in person forces the board members to acknowledge you're a person, instead of just a docket, case, etc.
The military pays you to go there too via funded orders, commercial air is the preferred method of travel.

Your presence there means nothing if you have no documentation to back up your appeal.

Your presence there means nothing if you have no documentation to back up your appeal.

i feel like he was rewarded his FPEB based on the fact that he had plenty of [new] documentation backing up why him being found FIT in the first place was a mistake.

I feel showing up in person forces the board members to acknowledge you're a person, instead of just a docket, case, etc.
The military pays you to go there too via funded orders, commercial air is the preferred method of travel.

so you're saying that he "has" to go? he honestly barely makes it through an hour long drive somewhere, let alone a 5-7 commute. traveling via plane [which is silly, considering we are in the same state as DC] would be even worse on his migraines with the altitude.

It would seem to me that you shouldn’t worry about getting a more favorable result from appearing. If he so bad that he can’t even write in the car for an hour there has to be some kind of documentation as to that level of impairment. In that case I wouldn’t worry. I don’t think the board is stupid and I think that that information would be super clear to them if it is in his records.

I applaud you for being so proactive with your husband’s case. I wish my ex husband put that much effort forward. It sounds like you are more in touch with this process than 99% of the servicemembers I’ve come across we’re going through the process.

It would seem to me that you shouldn’t worry about getting a more favorable result from appearing. If he so bad that he can’t even write in the car for an hour there has to be some kind of documentation as to that level of impairment. In that case I wouldn’t worry. I don’t think the board is stupid and I think that that information would be super clear to them if it is in his records.

I applaud you for being so proactive with your husband’s case. I wish my ex husband put that much effort forward. It sounds like you are more in touch with this process than 99% of the servicemembers I’ve come across we’re going through the process.

i really appreciate you saying what you have here. i am proactive about my husband's situation because it feels like nobody else has been, other than his nuerologist, of course. his command has been extremely helpful through all of this and has helped with new statements and documentation which i no doubt feel played a huge role in why he was even granted a FPEB.

as far as favorable ratings go, like i said above, he would be happy with a 0% just as long as he is found unfit. he needs to put his health before the military for the next X amount of years, after putting the military before his health for the past [almost] nine years. i am sure many on this board, yourself included, understand that. :)

his migraines, unfortunately, ARE that bad. two years ago, his command sent him to california for a week and he flew to and from there. he had a day before having to do anything - and he laid in the bathroom in his hotel room the migraine from the flight was so bad. as far as driving or riding in a car for 5-7 hours, it's absolutely pathetic seeing him try and do it. i am from the DC area, and we have not been back to see my family in six years because of his inability to make the long drive there. it's also why we've not been to see his family in almost eight years, as the ride is far longer than the 5-7 hours to DC. i know it sounds like i am playing the world's smallest violin here - but it truly is that bad - and like i said, if nobody else will fight for him, then i will.

thank you all for the input. he is on his way to see the PEBLO now to get the date for his FPEB and we will ask some questions while there.

His doctor should provide documentation that he shouldn't travel. If the medical records back up the unfit claim, his presence there won't effect it. He will be able to be on the phone or Skype so it won't be like he is just a letter on a page.

His doctor should provide documentation that he shouldn't travel. If the medical records back up the unfit claim, his presence there won't effect it. He will be able to be on the phone or Skype so it won't be like he is just a letter on a page.

yes, sir. i believe it was spoken between my husband and nuerologist that if needed, he would absolutely compose something stating that he is not in favor of the travel due to the migraines flaring up even more so with long rides/drives in cars and/or a flight on a plane. he was actually found non-deployable because of this. thank you so much for the input.

so you're saying that he "has" to go? he honestly barely makes it through an hour long drive somewhere, let alone a 5-7 commute. traveling via plane [which is silly, considering we are in the same state as DC] would be even worse on his migraines with the altitude.
No if medically ill advised. Getting medical documentation against traveling would make for a stronger case.