Found fit from IPEB..... what about suitability screening?

Jeffb_79

PEB Forum Regular Member
I received my IPEB findings today. Fit for duty.
Now I have to pass a suitability screening. My issue is my wrist. Fractured it bad about 2 years ago. My range of motion is severely limited. I can no longer do a normal Navy push up.... my wrist doesn't move enough to allow my hand to sit flat on the ground.
My biggest question right now is, what is the likelihood that I'll pass a suitability screening? Even if I do pass a suitability screening, won't I need to get waived every time the PFA comes up? And 3 waivers will have me looking at either another medboard, or an admin sep...

Jeff,

Was that the outcome you hoped for? If not, are you going to request a formal hearing? As far as the suitability questions, it is hard to say and will depend on what actions the Navy takes at several junctures. However, you seems to understand the potential issues, that you are found fit and then eventually separated. One of the moderators here, Mike Parker, has been working on this "fit, but unsuitable issue" with Senior DoD and Congressional Leadership. If things go sideways on you, please let us know.

Jason,
I had been planning on an unfit finding. Both writeups from my command and my Ortho Dr were both leaning towards finding me unfit to continue with my duties. I had found a job, and just started getting my life on track for becoming a civilian.
I don't plan on filing for a formal board, mainly because I don't see anything changing and I've already been in limbo for the past 2 years, I just want to move forward with my life.
I would like to be found fit/world wide deployable; however, I don't want to have to continue getting waivers for PFA's and end up back in another medboard 1-2 years from now back in this limbo stage.
I've got 10 years in with a 1734 NEC which is a critical at sea NEC. I just don't want to have to keep going through this over and over again.

Jeff,

If the Navy states you are unsuitable for service and states you will be admin separated (or denied reenlistment) due to this condition, please let me know right away. As Jason stated, I am engaged here in DC on this issue and cases like yours help demonstrate the nature of the problem.

Mike

I'm in your neighborhood, I'll definitely let you know.
I'm going to try to contact the detailer on Monday and hopefully set up a suitability screening this coming week at the Navy Yard.

Thanks,
Jeff

After talking with my detailer this morning, I'm beginning to think the chances of passing my suitability screening are pretty slim.
If I fail, he said I'd go back through the med/peb process again.....? WTH?
Is there someone higher up who's sole purpose in life is find ways to make this process as ridiculous as possible?
I've decided to request a formal board.

Today I failed my suitability screening. Should find out the end result from my detailer within the next few days once all the paperwork is in.

Just a brief update... after speaking with my detailer, it looks like I'll be placed back on limdu again and make my way through the PEB process again.

Wow, that seems ridiculous that you IPEB returns "fit for duty" but the screening turns around and says "unfit." That just shows how bass ackward this process is! Good Luck... again...

almost like someone hired a team of monkeys to design this process... that and another prime example of waste.

Jeff, anything new regarding your Fit finding? I was found fit but there is no way i will pass the sea duty screening.

Jeff, anything new regarding your Fit finding? I was found fit but there is no way i will pass the sea duty screening.

Gunmate1,
Just curious to see what your outcome was. I was also found fit, but I am hesitant about completing my suitability screening. I currently am 18 days away from my 19 year mark. I want to continue to retirement. Any information you have would be great. Thanks.

Jim

Jeff, I sent you a PM on this.

Mike

Mike,

I was also found fit. I need to schedule my suitability screening. I am currently 18 days away from my 19 year mark. I have a message of intent for fleet reserve. I am trying to stay right where I am on a shore billet as I know I am not deployable nor will I pass a sea duty screening. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim