GAD and psychosis

I absolutely believe your husband will be MEB boarded and that he will get some VA and military disability for the rest of his life. These episodes he was having we're so severe he had to be hospitalized and his guns taken away. If he is a danger to himself or others it is certain that he must be MEB boarded. The only way he could not be MEB boarded would be if he was medicated to the point his symptoms were relieved to the point he was fully functional again. Look at retention standards in AR 40-501 chapter 3. Not sure what the retention criteria is for mental health but I and many others here were found unfit for duty with way less symptoms than you described.

It is important that he doesn't sugar coat things when speaking to the mental health doctors. I was much less symptomatic compared to your husband and I was able to get rated at 70% for MDD and GAD. Part of my VARR argue net was to simply gather up the letters and record from my psychiatrists and show that I had told six different providers on six different occasions that I was having suicidal ideation so with a plan and intent.

I too like your husband believed that nothing good would come from being MEB boarded. I firmly believed that there was a conspiracy of doctors, PEBLO, and jag lawyers scheming and colluding to deny me benefits. Those thoughts are much less now as I have been awarded 100% DOD and 100% VA. Medications don't seem to do much except put me to sleep but my anxiety is slightly better now that I am retired and have let go of the stress of active duty.

3–31. Disorders with psychotic features

The causes for referral to an MEB are as follows:
a. Diagnosed psychiatric conditions that fail to respond to treatment or restore the Soldier to full function within 1

year of onset of treatment.
b. Mental disorders not secondary to intoxication, infections, toxic, or other organic causes, with gross impairment

in reality testing, resulting in interference with social adjustment or with duty performance.

3–32. Mood disorders

a. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms sufficient to require extended or recurrent hospitalization; or
b. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms necessitating limitations of duty or duty in protected environment; or c. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms resulting in interference with effective military performance.

3–33. Anxiety, somatoform, or dissociative disorders

a. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms sufficient to require extended or recurrent hospitalization; or
b. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms necessitating limitations of duty or duty in protected environment; or c. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms resulting in interference with effective military performance.

Taking your husbands guns away and placing him in a mental hospital are limitations of duty in a protected environment and extended hospitalization.

Don't listen to his anxiety talking, he WILL be MEB boarded. It is critical that he be rated accurately. See if you can get him an off post referral and have them fill out a mental health DBQ just in case the VA psych he will inevitably see tries to lowball him. Again, make sure he doesn't sugar coat his symptoms.

Last edited:
Ive literally been through all that stuff this past october , nearly identical... they have to "reasonably" try to reach out and exhuast treatment options to look like they care. he will be med boarded. i would do yourself a favor and have him get a referral for a second opinion. doesnt hurt to have more proof for the va...and also maybe transferring to a different department might help, until things become more clear..p.s. when hes on limited duty he cant drink at all...

I love seeing other wives on this forum. My husband has been through much of what your husband is going through. I am here in this forum because my husband just cannot handle any of this. He didn't want to do a MEB/PEB. He wanted to move to a shack in the wilderness. I pushed to get him help after he returned from him latest combat deployment. We are 18 months into the process now and feeling much better about things. Please feel free to message me as I can also give you a wives perspective. Right now my number one piece of advice is know ALL of his appointments with ALL doctors and IDES, etc. Go to all the appointments if he will let you. I don't go to counseling very often as that would impact his treatment. But ALL the important appointments you should be at. Lesson learned the hard way here. Also ask him not to sign anything without you being aware. We had many fights over my controlling nature but my husband now 100% agrees that he cannot do it alone and needs my help. We are awaiting retirement and should max out the DOD and VA. My husband has not worked in 18 months and cannot work after retirement. He will be trying to go back to grad school but I am scared lol! Just getting out of bed and showered is a struggle these days! Don't fear the MEB it is actually a blessing to those with severe injuries or illnesses who cannot do their job anymore. Prepare yourself and learn about the process. I am still learning everyday! Congrats on your pregnancy. You need to do this for your family. We actually have a lot in common. My husband is also and officer and I am a teacher. I cannot work right now because my husband needs help and I have 2 little kids. My husband did 3 months outpatient and another 3 months inpatient, and is gone again now. He got a transfer to WWBn which was a huge blessing because he could no longer perform his duties as an officer. His only job now is recovery.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. My husband saw his behavioral health doctor on post and she said she would have to evaluate him herself before she refers him to be MED Boarded. He is not sure if he will get MED Boarded or not and wants to submit his resignation. Of course, I don't want him to do that. I am hoping and praying that she will do the right thing. His commander even called her to talk to her about it because he believes he should be MED Boarded. If she doesn't refer him, do we have any other options? I really don't think my husband can continue to serve because he is still having major struggles even while on several medications.

Our story is long and complicated but I would glad to share it with you. Send me a PM. We can even talk on the phone if that would be easier. Our journey to get to the MED board has been a long crazy fight and we are still fighting. We literally had to fight to get him MED boarded. You need to go to the appointments with him. You need to fight for him. My husband also wanted to walk away. We are now 18 months in from the time he retuned from combat "crazy". He has been found unfit and we are waiting on ratings. The process has been long and exhausting but the benefits are so worth it. My husband should be retiring and returning to school this summer through VocRehab. We were also able to fight and get him into WWBn(WTU) which has been awesome!

Do you have a nurse case manager? Is your command supportive?

Bottom line don't let him give up! Fight for the board!

Last edited:
Don't let him resign his commission, it will take about the same time as a MEB board and he won't get any benefits