Gov employee and disabled vet problem

5502geo

Registered Member
Good morning everyone.

I wanted to reach out as I am in a difficult situation. I was separated from military service a year and a half ago and am rated 80%.

One of my SCD's was anxiety and it has turned into very bad depression. So bad its to the point that I was moved out of the area I was in (high clearances) and am hardly able to preform simple tasks at work now. I have used over 90% of my leave and I am doing worse and worse each day. The VA wants me to go to PTSD sessions and be on meds and I am fine with that but in the mean time my federal government job (GS-12 / 13 years of service) is not going so well.

I am not sure what to do. Do I tell my boss of my mental condition (he already knows a little from the initial breakdown) but definitely not to the severity I have it.

Also, what are the rules (if any) for a service connected disability that has a major impact on federal employment?

I just need some advice. I am not sure if it is my current mind state or not but I feel completely lost.

I understand that you are worried about your job. I think you ought to be putting yourself first. Tell your boss you are going to be in the hospital for and extended time. You owe him/her that heads up. You don't have to get in the weeds with them. I wish you the best in treatment.

Hopefully after treatment your job will not be so overwhelming.

Warmest regards
Mike

Good morning everyone.

I wanted to reach out as I am in a difficult situation. I was separated from military service a year and a half ago and am rated 80%.

One of my SCD's was anxiety and it has turned into very bad depression. So bad its to the point that I was moved out of the area I was in (high clearances) and am hardly able to preform simple tasks at work now. I have used over 90% of my leave and I am doing worse and worse each day. The VA wants me to go to PTSD sessions and be on meds and I am fine with that but in the mean time my federal government job (GS-12 / 13 years of service) is not going so well.

I am not sure what to do. Do I tell my boss of my mental condition (he already knows a little from the initial breakdown) but definitely not to the severity I have it.

Also, what are the rules (if any) for a service connected disability that has a major impact on federal employment?

I just need some advice. I am not sure if it is my current mind state or not but I feel completely lost.

It might be possible to file for FMLA and employees can have 12 weeks (12 weeks x 40 hours) either in a row or you an use it 1 hour at time. Key is to file it with HR and get it approved. This may not provide pay yet will protect your job from adverse actions from the agency. Also, most federal agencies have EAP (Employees Assistance Program). Additionally, you could ask for advanced leave or leave donations from your agency co-workers. You did not state what appointment you have in the federal government, Competitive or Excepted Title 5? Also, if your supervisor approves, you can request LWOP (leave with out pay - KA) again no pay yet any approved leave by your supervisor cannot result in an adverse action against you. Final suggestion is if you cannot accomplish the position description task, then consider filing for a OPM disability. Best regards.

GS employees with disabilities (especially BH conditions) may have a difficult time during the transition period back to employment.

This is so well known that wounded warriors get an additional 104 hours of sick/appointment leave during the first year they are employed.

You were not hired out of pity, you were hired because your possess skills that the decision makers noticed in you. You should speak with the folks in Human Resources and let them know what is going on. There are many programs in place to ensure you have a successful transition.