Guess my Sleep Apnea percentage! Please!

jon jacobs

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning.

I finally got my c&p exam done for my sleep apnea. What is your opinion on the rating? I have no idea what to expect. Thank you. This forum has been a good tool for information. The more you know....

1. Diagnosis
Does the Veteran have or has he/she ever had sleep apnea?
[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Obstructive ICD code: G 47
2. Medical history ------------------ a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's sleep disorder condition (brief summary):
b. Is continuous medication required for control of a sleep disorder condition?
[ ] Yes [X] No
c. Does the Veteran require the use of a breathing assistance device?
[ ] Yes [X]
d. Does the Veteran require the use of a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine?
[X] Yes [
No 3. Findings, signs and symptoms
Does the Veteran currently have any findings, signs or symptoms attributable to sleep apnea?
[X] Yes [ ] No If yes, check all that apply:
[X] Persistent daytime hypersomnolence
4. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars
Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
b. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
c. Comments, if any: No response provided.
5. Diagnostic testing
a. Has a sleep study been performed?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, does the Veteran have documented sleep disorder breathing? [X] Yes [ ] No
James A Haley VA Results: Mild obstructive sleep apnea.
b. Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results? [ ] Yes [X] No
6. Functional impact
Does the Veteran's sleep apnea impact his or her MEDICAL OPINION SUMMARY ----------------------- RESTATEMENT OF REQUESTED OPINION:
a. Opinion from general remarks: Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of
(a) sleep apnea that is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by (the) Event during service? b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: Sleep Apnea TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ] a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness. c. Rationale: Active duty service dates: Branch: Army EOD: 2012Bdehaviorl health note complained of sleep disturbances, falling asleep and frequent awakenings. Noted to not meet PTSD criteria at that time, but anxious. 9/30/2013 PTSD exam Did not diagnose PTSD, but noted sleep disurbances both fallinf asleep and frequent nightime awakenings C&P PTSD examination confirmed diagnosis of PTSD and notes sleep disturbance someto,es related to dreams, but others that were not. Polysomnogram + mild obstructive sleep apnea, CPAP ordered. This veteran had sleep disorders dating back to service with components of snxiety - difficulty falling to sleep, and Apnea- requent night time arousals. reported to be a loud snorer. He participated in sleep hygiene counseliing which helped somer of the falling asleep issues, but did not address the frequent awakening. 'For tyhis reason he hha been referred for a PSG which when done was consistant with mild obstructive sleep apnea. Although the dioasgnosis was not made until May , the record shows he had sleep disturbance symptoms that were at least as likely as not early masnifestations of his obstructive sleep apnea which was not diagnosed because of coexisting anxiety and developing PTSD- He did sek attention for sleep problems but the testing needed was not done because of another possible explanation. When the PSG was eventually done in May the diagnosis was clearer in hind sight.

Good morning.

I finally got my c&p exam done for my sleep apnea. What is your opinion on the rating? I have no idea what to expect. Thank you. This forum has been a good tool for information. The more you know....

1. Diagnosis
Does the Veteran have or has he/she ever had sleep apnea?
[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Obstructive ICD code: G 47
2. Medical history ------------------ a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's sleep disorder condition (brief summary):
b. Is continuous medication required for control of a sleep disorder condition?
[ ] Yes [X] No
c. Does the Veteran require the use of a breathing assistance device?
[ ] Yes [X]
d. Does the Veteran require the use of a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine?
[X] Yes [
No 3. Findings, signs and symptoms
Does the Veteran currently have any findings, signs or symptoms attributable to sleep apnea?
[X] Yes [ ] No If yes, check all that apply:
[X] Persistent daytime hypersomnolence
4. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars
Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
b. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above?
[ ] Yes [X] No
c. Comments, if any: No response provided.
5. Diagnostic testing
a. Has a sleep study been performed?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, does the Veteran have documented sleep disorder breathing? [X] Yes [ ] No
James A Haley VA Results: Mild obstructive sleep apnea.
b. Are there any other significant diagnostic test findings and/or results? [ ] Yes [X] No
6. Functional impact
Does the Veteran's sleep apnea impact his or her MEDICAL OPINION SUMMARY ----------------------- RESTATEMENT OF REQUESTED OPINION:
a. Opinion from general remarks: Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of
(a) sleep apnea that is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by (the) Event during service? b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: Sleep Apnea TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ] a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness. c. Rationale: Active duty service dates: Branch: Army EOD: 2012Bdehaviorl health note complained of sleep disturbances, falling asleep and frequent awakenings. Noted to not meet PTSD criteria at that time, but anxious. 9/30/2013 PTSD exam Did not diagnose PTSD, but noted sleep disurbances both fallinf asleep and frequent nightime awakenings C&P PTSD examination confirmed diagnosis of PTSD and notes sleep disturbance someto,es related to dreams, but others that were not. Polysomnogram + mild obstructive sleep apnea, CPAP ordered. This veteran had sleep disorders dating back to service with components of snxiety - difficulty falling to sleep, and Apnea- requent night time arousals. reported to be a loud snorer. He participated in sleep hygiene counseliing which helped somer of the falling asleep issues, but did not address the frequent awakening. 'For tyhis reason he hha been referred for a PSG which when done was consistant with mild obstructive sleep apnea. Although the dioasgnosis was not made until May , the record shows he had sleep disturbance symptoms that were at least as likely as not early masnifestations of his obstructive sleep apnea which was not diagnosed because of coexisting anxiety and developing PTSD- He did sek attention for sleep problems but the testing needed was not done because of another possible explanation. When the PSG was eventually done in May the diagnosis was clearer in hind sight.
Indeed, good morning!

In accordance with 38 CFR VASRD §4.97 Schedule of ratings—respiratory system,

VA Code 6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):
Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine

It would seem that a DoVA 50% disability rating should be assigned by the DoVA Rating Agency as based upon the C&P examination's medical opinion for direct service connection. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Warrior 644,

You have been a big help to me in the past few days! I really hope the VA awards 50% as they should. I must say that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!" (warrior644)

Warrior 644,

You have been a big help to me in the past few days! I really hope the VA awards 50% as they should. I must say that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!" (warrior644)
At least in my opinion, no worries; the DoVA C&P examination DBQ seems to be well supportive of that assumption.

Indeed, if not me then I am certain that other PEB Forum members would continue to do the same. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!