Help! Not sure what step I'm at?

Florida850

Registered Member
Really been through a lot lately.

Back in mid April-mid May I was in Inpatient psychiatric care for 34 days... while in there at some point I called the MEB Office and was informed The IRILO determined Full MEB/PEB necessary and then once I got out the hospital I met my PEBLO, approximately May 18, 2017.. (initially Code 37 in December of 16).

Today, June 5th, 2017:
Just got called today, meeting with the "VA lady" at the MPF tomorrow to go over my list of conditions and submitting it to get those C&Ps scheduled..

In my mental health NARSUM the final line is something like "this therapist feels it would be in the best interest of the Air Force to make this MEB/PEB as quick as possible due to members condition"... if only it would be quick !

Florida850

Registered Member
Hopefully 4-6months from now (or sooner!!!) this is all over and I can look back at this almost like a journal and laugh at how stressed out I was. And better yet, I'll have received a far rating and enjoying going to college full time and seeing family and friends more often... one can hope:)
I will say I am praying more often. This whole process, mental health recovery/care, wounded Warrior program/AF2W (recently got accepted), and the back pain + sciatica mainly those few things just really a huge burden and have made me reach back to spirituality. Not trying to bring that stuff to this forum. Simply providing a first hand account and timeline of events and thoughts through out the MEB/PEB Process, and most importantly I hope it helps someone who needs help or information.

Florida850

Registered Member
As of 19 Jul 17, I've completed all of my C&P evaluations. I had a total of 3 appointments in 3 different locations. at two of the three appointments I saw two different doctors in the same office. From my impression on them I feel they'll write a fair and accurate evaluation on my conditions. I just hope the VA accurately interprets their reports and doesn't downplay my two main conditions, my lumbar back issues and anxiety... both are my MEB Referred conditions. I have a long list of other minor conditions totally 39 conditions. Many are things I'm not worried about right now but I'm worried about getting worse in the future so I want them documented now..

I do have a question for everyone reading...

Is it a bad idea that I clicked the button for the VA to "make a decision now" based on the evidence they currently have?

Here's the timeline:
5 Jun 17- They received my Claim
6 Jun 17-Claim moved to initial review
19 Jun 17-Evidence Gathering
23 Jul 17-You or others submitted Appeal Substitution Review. We will notify you when we've reviewed it.
(Likely because I just hit the button for them to make a decision with whatever they have now).

Nibsirb

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
considering they have no evidence they cant make a decision. You're exams may be done but that doesn't mean the VA has any of the info. You still have to wait for them to send the info out and then you'll eventually see your PEBLO and sign your official NARSUM. Hopefully your not like me and waiting 2 months for your PCM to write the NARSUM....FML lol

Florida850

Registered Member
Absolutely accurate.. I called Providence, and my PEBLO.

Apparently QTCs suspense was 23 July 17... and they didn't get my exam records to the VA. As of 18 Aug 17 the VA still hasn't received my records and my PEBLO said he'd call his VA contact and have her contact QTC to get an update. Monday the 21st I'm gunna call QTC and ask for an update and then my PEBLO..

Code 37 initiated 14 Dec 17.. no NARSUM from PCM until May 17. Lol so better 5-6month to get my NARSUM.

And like I said completed final C&P exams on 19 Jul 17. And the VA doesn't even have my exams yet and it's been a month.

Going to stay patient and keep my head up!

Hope your NARSUM gets done soon.

considering they have no evidence they cant make a decision. You're exams may be done but that doesn't mean the VA has any of the info. You still have to wait for them to send the info out and then you'll eventually see your PEBLO and sign your official NARSUM. Hopefully your not like me and waiting 2 months for your PCM to write the NARSUM....FML lol

Florida850

Registered Member
Some tips I've learned while undoing an MEB:

So I just recently got back from an Air Force Wounded Warrior (AFW2) CARE Event.. There, I received training and became an AFW2 Mentor for other wounded warriors.. I identified a disturbing trend in which Recovering Service Members (RSMs) were essentially being discriminated against and noticing clear signs of reprisal as a nearly direct result of their MEB/PEB.

What I mean by that, is, RSMs were being assigned menial duties not commensurate with their rank/grade. Many of the RSMs had something to bring to the table such as: multiple certifications, skill-sets, qualifications, experience, knowledge.. etc... Yet

just got "TDA'd", Temporary Duty Assigned (means different things to different branches), to a different unit.. Security Forces to basically Admin/Personnel. I love my new job.. but it's only because my MEB. I didn't retrain, more like a handshake deal between commanders.. which is great actually.

I recommend to anyone who is asked to do a job against their profile or can't do any legitimate work, ask your first sergeant if he can find a new unit for you if they can't accommodate within your current unit.

This isn't "entitlement attitude", it will frankly serve your branch of service better. As we say in the Air Force, "Air Force needs come first". This allows the Air Force to get some sort of gainful work out of a member being MEB'd/PEB'd.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
just got "TDA'd", Temporary Duty Assigned (means different things to different branches), to a different unit.. Security Forces to basically Admin/Personnel. I love my new job.. but it's only because my MEB. I didn't retrain, more like a handshake deal between commanders.. which is great actually.

I recommend to anyone who is asked to do a job against their profile or can't do any legitimate work, ask your first sergeant if he can find a new unit for you if they can't accommodate within your current unit.
For some folks this is a good or even ideal solution. If you are having a hard time with your current unit of assignment, subject to harassment, being given every crappy detail, being placed on duty every weekend, etc., and it is getting to you, then yes, this can be a good idea.

However, there is an important caveat to keep in mind. I have seen cases where folks get TDA'd or even transferred (sometimes to a Warrior Transition Unit/transient billet/Patient Squadron, etc.) to another unit and it hurts them because the new commander doesn't know the member, the work is far less demanding than a normal billet/position and the Commander's Letter/NMA/Functional Impact Statement does not accurately reflect the full range of the members disabilities and the impact on their ability to perform the duties expected by someone in the member's grade/AFSC/MOS. The result can be that the member gets shortchanged at the PEB.

This isn't "entitlement attitude", it will frankly serve your branch of service better. As we say in the Air Force, "Air Force needs come first". This allows the Air Force to get some sort of gainful work out of a member being MEB'd/PEB'd.
True, but, see my above. For some folks, it will not matter, for example, if their disabilities are very clearly unfitting. However, sometimes, this arrangement can hurt the member.

As always, the facts and circumstances of the case should drive any decisions and the outcome. Just be aware that this may not always be for the best.

Florida850

Registered Member
For some folks this is a good or even ideal solution. If you are having a hard time with your current unit of assignment, subject to harassment, being given every crappy detail, being placed on duty every weekend, etc., and it is getting to you, then yes, this can be a good idea.

However, there is an important caveat to keep in mind. I have seen cases where folks get TDA'd or even transferred (sometimes to a Warrior Transition Unit/transient billet/Patient Squadron, etc.) to another unit and it hurts them because the new commander doesn't know the member, the work is far less demanding than a normal billet/position and the Commander's Letter/NMA/Functional Impact Statement does not accurately reflect the full range of the members disabilities and the impact on their ability to perform the duties expected by someone in the member's grade/AFSC/MOS. The result can be that the member gets shortchanged at the PEB.

True, but, see my above. For some folks, it will not matter, for example, if their disabilities are very clearly unfitting. However, sometimes, this arrangement can hurt the member.

As always, the facts and circumstances of the case should drive any decisions and the outcome. Just be aware that this may not always be for the best.

Jason,

As always you are absolutely right in my opinion.

For me specifically, I have already had my NARUMs, my CC Impact Letter, and C&P Evals.

Thankfully, my new Commander knows me better than my last commander. I'm in a small tight knit unit. It is all officers and civilians with the exception of an A1C/E-3, and I

(SrA/E-4, putting on E-5 in roughly October).

Florida850

Registered Member
There's a few (a lot..) of points I'd like to mention...

BLUFF: you can promote during MEB, Apply for AFW2 and SSDI

*Takes deep breath before rant*

I'll mention for others who don't know.. "Can I promote while undergoing an MEB or PEB?" ...Short answer is "Yes". Long answer: I can't tell you about your specific situation and definitely not about the regulations of your Branch of Service. For the Air Force, the AFIs are written to where you may test and promote while undergoing an MEB. I have already gotten my C&P eval reports back and am "Pending Decision Approval" in eBenafits and Vets.gov. I got selected for promotion last week and am estimating putting rank on in October.. if somehow this process ramps up and I have a separation/

retirement date before then (unlikely), then it is my understanding I will have "SSgt/E-5" on my retirement card, DD-214, and/or separation papers/orders.

Please tell me if I've misunderstood the promotion/demotion AFIs.

I'd like to bring up another point... Please, if you are undergoing an MEB/PEB, and/or have a "serious" condition, Cat I/Cat II, apply for Air Force Wounded Warrior (AFW2). You can self-refer, have supervisor/CCF/CC (First Sergeant/Commander) or Doctor refer you to it. If you're unsure if you qualify, contact your local MTF/base hospital and ask to speak to the Recovery Care Coordinator (RCC). If they're clueless.. ask to talk to their supervisor or call another clinic.. finally you could go to the AFW2 Site (I don't believe we are allowed to post external links here)... Google is your Friend. Or you can PM me and I will find out who your regional RCC is. You can call the RCC, tell them your situation and get a good answer on if you are or are not meeting their criteria. To clarify further, you do NOT need to have combat related disabilities. Many individuals have MST (Military Sexual Trauma), childhood trauma, or other "invisible wounds" which aren't always from combat. But there are also a lot of folks who've seen that ugly side of our profession and can relate to you if you have as well. You'll likely meet lifelong Friends regardless. This is something I'm extremely passionate about because it's changed my outlook on life. There aren't many things, besides my family, that I can say "changed my outlook on life".

AFW2 will also assist indirectly or directly in some cases, with numerous other benefits available to you... Such as Social Security to name one..

I'm not going to go into detail on Social Security Disability, or SSDI, but I'd be very happy to explain, should someone have issues finding resources or help. It's anywhere from $1,000- above $1,300 per month in additional income on top of your current military check. Most come ways to qualify you must have had or be expected to have a disability which renders you unfit for "substantial gainful employment"... i.e you're security forces and can't carry a weapon anymore due to mental health issues, medication, or physical limitations AND this has or I'd expected to continue for equal to or greater than 12 months. There's much more to it, but don't be discouraged.

You will learn so much about the MEB/PEB process, find mentor's, possible become a mentor, potentially go TDY to an event with adaptive sports, employment boot camp (100x better than TAPS), and usually these events are amazing. You'll see a totally different side of the Air Force. It's given me hope to make t through all this BS. They aren't shy to tell it like it is and you won't get told to shut up and color either. If you're being discriminated by your leadership/peers or the system as a whole.. speak up and if you don't want to "complain", do it for someone else's sake.

Don't be a hypocrite who hates how things are but does nothing to help themselves. If you don't like how you're being treated then doing nothing is probably not going to help you.

AFW2 will he able to advocate for you if there is a legitimate issue with your treatment.

AFW2 is a DOD/AF operation, it's ran by AFPC, it is not a "charity", it's a component of the AF and its GQ is at Randolph AFB, TX. Nicely situated right across the street from "some people who may or may not deal directly with AF MEB/PEBs". Cough cough*

This will help you a lot. These AFW2 staff members and warriors, are some of the best people I've ever had the honor of serving with.

And to polish off this long, rambling, multiple run-on sentence having, disaster response I've composed...

I sincerely hope someone out there has learned something they didn't know, or has found solace in someone else's experience which they can relate to.

I am located in North West Florida, FWB/Destin Area.. currently a volunteer Mentor for AFW2, I love to coordinate community events to raise awareness for veterans past and present and also money for reputable no BS charities of many types.

Anyone can pm me on here if they'd like more information.

This websites Jason runs is a godsend if you take the time to read the information.

Thank you Jason for putting this site together and especially for taking time to comment directly to folks threads and make sure the information is as accurate as possible.

*Disclaimer*
All opinions/comments/statements are my own and not that of the DOD/Air Force or US Government in any way.

Attachments:
1. WII Referral Form
2. Social Security Benefits For Wounded Warriors

Attachments

Florida850

Registered Member
Update:
30 Oct 17- I got my proposed ratings!
90% AF and 90% VA
TDRL
I accepted them on the spot and don’t regret doing so.

I am beyond thankful for the help this forum provided and all the support from friends and family.
Retirement date of 28 Dec 17.

MEB started December of 2016... I will be officially retired December of 2017.

Lastly, is anyone on here in AFW2?
I'll be in DC (JB Andrew) for the CARE Event, if you have base access and would like to meet I'm more than willing to talk.

Throughout this year long process I've met and exceeded my own goals and reached milestones in recovery and have even become a mentor with AFW2. If anyone would like some support or anything I am willing to spend some time while I'm up there.
Again, you must have bass access (I'd hope everyone on here does and is who they claim to be). I will not meet anyone who cannot prove they are who they say they are.
Moderator, if unallowed let me know and I'll edit out.

Thanks!
-Alex

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Update:
90% AF and 90% VA
TDRL

I am beyond thankful for the help this forum provided and all the support from friends and family.

I'll be in DC (JB Andrew) for the CARE Event, if you have base access and would like to meet I'm more than willing to talk.

Throughout this year long process I've met and exceeded my own goals and reached milestones in recovery and have even become a mentor with AFW2. If anyone would like some support or anything I am willing to spend some time while I'm up there.
Again, you must have bass access (I'd hope everyone on here does and is who they claim to be). I will not meet anyone who cannot prove they are who they say they are.

Thanks!
-Alex
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I hope all goes well for you in retirement and whatever comes next for you. Enjoy your well-earned retirement!

AFLady4

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Update:
90% AF and 90% VA
TDRL

Thanks!
-Alex
Congrats!!!