How do I submit for retroactive retirement after medical discharge?

Ncummi6

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was medically separated from AD Army early 2015 with several rated conditions with primary unfitting condition being for lumbar spine injury sustained during OEF 11-12 so DA 199 has combat code identifier.

I was initially rated at 70% combined with 20% of that for my unfitting lumbar injury condition so since it was less than 30%, I was medically separated versus medically retired.

I've since had my lumbar spine issues unfortunately get worse, required L5-S1 fusion (while still AD undergoing IDES) and limited ROM post surgery but MEB/PEB didn't account for at the time as surgery outcome wasn't known yet and PEB rating officer determination already had his mind made up from outdated, incorrectly filed out NARSUM and DBQ.

Long story short, my rating was reviewed and increased from 20% to 30 or higher now so I believe I'm eligible to apply through Army HRC for retroactive retirement, how do I go about submitting for that?

I'd love to be eligible for Tricare again so I can get all my service connected injuries addressed by military physicians as VA health care has been unsatisfactory in my experiences and insult to injury. Whenever I even attempt to use my employer provided healthcare for service connected injuries they try to deny coverage stating it's service connected which I disclose so it's not as though I'm hiding it I'm just looking for an alternative to VA care as many here know it is slow, very far away usually, months scheduled out and very impersonal and usually low quality overall. Feel like I'm treated like nuisance cattle at VA clinics unfortunately.

Please respond with website information so I can submit for retroactive retirement, thanks.

Long story short, my rating was reviewed and increased from 20% to 30 or higher now so I believe I'm eligible to apply through Army HRC for retroactive retirement, how do I go about submitting for that?

How long were you at 20% before being increased to 30 or higher?

The following web page might be of help: http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/adrb-faq.html

"The Army Discharge Review Board is authorized to review the character, reason and authority of a discharge of any service member discharged from active military service within the past 15 years. The authority for ADRB review comes from Public Law 95-126 and Title 10 U.S.C. ' 1553. The Department of Defense Directive 1332.28, Discharge Review Board Procedures and Standards, establishes uniform policies and procedures and standards for review of discharges and dismissals. Army Regulation 15-180, Army Discharge Review Board, governs the actions and composition of the ADRB. "

This not my area of expertise and someone else might provide a better path.

Good luck,
Ron

How long were you at 20% before being increased to 30 or higher?

A little over 2 years.

I appealed my rating about a year after discharge as I knew I had the medical documentation needed to qualify for over 30% as my first DBQ was inaccurate and my medical files were incomplete when sent to VA rating officer for review.

The following web page might be of help: http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/adrb-faq.html

This not my area of expertise and someone else might provide a better path.

Good luck,
Ron

Thanks Ron, I read through the website link you provided and I don't think Army Discharge Review Board will be the path after I read the following

"Question: If I received a disability discharge and my contention is that I should have received disability retirement, can I apply to the Army Discharge Review Board?
Answer: No, issues on disability and retirement must be submitted to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records on a DD Form 149 for review."

Now I know a DD 149 is the right way to go about it though, thanks.