How do you keep yourself sane?

Swiper

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
How do you guy keeping yourself sane by going through this process? I feel that I'm about to lose my mind with all this stress. I just got the IPEB findings back and now I am being told that it will take 3-6 months for the ratings. While the IDES process officially started back in October; it has been an on-going two year ordeal for me and I'm emotionally exhausted. I don't know how I will be able to cope with all this for much longer. It's like an endless groundhog day without no real end in sight. To make matter worse, I'm stuck in a location where I have no family or social support network which means that I have to deal with everything on my own.

How do you guy keeping yourself sane by going through this process? I feel that I'm about to lose my mind with all this stress. I just got the IPEB findings back and now I am being told that it will take 3-6 months for the ratings. While the IDES process officially started back in October; it has been an on-going two year ordeal for me and I'm emotionally exhausted. I don't know how I will be able to cope with all this for much longer. It's like an endless groundhog day without no real end in sight. To make matter worse, I'm stuck in a location where I have no family or social support network which means that I have to deal with everything on my own.
Its hard for all of us in some aspects , but honestly most of the time i do things that entertain me and take up the majority of my day. i try not to focus too much on the grand scope , but take each day as a day closer to what you want to achieve.... I have severe anxiety , with ptsd, mdd and other various injuries. with every battle will be ups and downs. "its not how well you do when things are going good , its getting through the bad thats shows you your true character" keep your head up , find something you like , or would like to do , and do it.

Honestly, one of the only things that kept me hanging in there was this website...find someone in your area/same service etc...and start PMing them on here with updates or whatever..just vent to eachother about the shit you're going through in the process and it honestly really helps.

I keep myself sane by:
not giving in to temptations to avoid the problems - addressing things head on
use of this board to get answers
remembering that the long games was more important than the short game
developing new friends and meeting with old friends

I like the line about the long game being more important than the short game. This is what I do too. This waiting game is just a small blip in the big picture.
G

Thanks. Too many folks sell themselves short by always playing the short game. I thinks its part of our fast food/drive through culture.

I took joy in making those in the medical services branch in my state suffer. That's how I kept sane while in. Now that I am out and still fighting... not gonna lie... I got a good shrink now. He just hooked me up with a medication for severe depression with an off label use for pain and tinnitus at low doses... also helps for those with PTSD and anxiety. The only side effect... sensitivity to light. If it works though, I can get off the pot... literally... save my money and stop using cbd oil for pain management.

84 days since my ratings were completed by the VA and sent to the PEB for signature/199 production. It's extremely difficult to manage the increasing anxiety and to manage the irritation that seems to come with the process. This site does help, because you can at least see that others are moving along in the process. Another thing I do to help pass the time, is I come up with BS "ideas" like: once I finally get my ratings, there will be a parade...etc.

Not going to lie I have good and bad days. I've been in the system for almost 2 years and if by chance e-Benefits is correct with its estimated date of completion I will end up being in it for almost another 18 months. I have to remind myself on the bad days that I'm fighting for my family and that is the bigger picture. Other than that I take some time for myself to just decompress.

I hope that your process goes smoothly, quickly and most importantly that your ratings reflect your condition(s).

I find it hard to cope with the stress and it doesn't help that I have no support network to help me through these trying times. My nearest family members are about 1,500 miles away from my location and I'm stuck here, alone, until the conclusion of the IDES proceedings. Officially, my case has been active since October, but in reality, I have been dealing with this issue for almost two years.

The IPEB found me unfit for continued service about ten days ago and I'm being told by my PEBLO that the wait for ratings will be 3-6 months. I'm trying to figure out how to deal being stuck in a groundhog day for another 100+ days at a minimum. I constantly worry about my ratings because I really need a 100% VA rating. My chances for gainful employment after leaving the military will be small, so I will need everything I can get when it comes to DOD/VA retirement benefits. I think that I'm pretty much guaranteed a 90% rating from VA (with ease) but somehow I need that to become 100%.

Meanwhile, I sit here and let my anxious brain assume the worst case scenario.

I've been in the system for almost 2 years and if by chance e-Benefits is correct with its estimated date of completion I will end up being in it for almost another 18 months.

Either you are following my foot steps or we have the same individuals processing our cases, same exact situation am in; e-Benefits just changed with ETA of OCT this year thru OCT next year, prior to today was showing JUN thru JAN next year.

Groundhogs Day is the absolute best description for this process

Either you are following my foot steps or we have the same individuals processing our cases, same exact situation am in; e-Benefits just changed with ETA of OCT this year thru OCT next year, prior to today was showing JUN thru JAN next year.

In February my e-Benefits said estimated date of completion was between XX Jun 16 and XX Sept 16, when I looked this week it changed to xx Sept 16 - xx Jun 17.

Mine did the same thing. I wouldn't put too much thought in to the estimated date...I know it's hard not to focus on the estimated date details when there is no real outlet of information through the process.

Ignore eBenefits for now until you have your DD214 in hand. it's wrong more often than right at the stage before you leave the military.

Just focus on using this time not to ruminate on things you cannot affect: which is a lot in this process. Easier said than done but once you are out of the military if you continue this behavior it will drive you to a dark place. Try to pick up something you used to like doing and start developing hobbies and interests. if may work for you to pass the time.

I took joy in making those in the medical services branch in my state suffer. That's how I kept sane while in. Now that I am out and still fighting... not gonna lie... I got a good shrink now. He just hooked me up with a medication for severe depression with an off label use for pain and tinnitus at low doses... also helps for those with PTSD and anxiety. The only side effect... sensitivity to light. If it works though, I can get off the pot... literally... save my money and stop using cbd oil for pain management.

What medication did your doc give you for your Tinnitus?? I think I may go insane with as loud as mine has gotten over the last year!

As for keeping sane... I am not. I think that this process has made my anxiety worse and I have only been in this MEB for 4 months now. I have been removed from my job and placed in a menial job with little to no interaction with others due to my anger. I do think that this forum has helped keep me somewhat grounded because I am constantly looking for the worst case scenario as well but seeing others with the same or similiar "issues" getting ratings that I would like and seeing their timelines gives me even the slightest hope that I will wake up one day and not hear the same banter on my clock radio.