How does DOD decide what to rate you?

AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I never understood why DOD ratings always seem to be lower than VA ratings. How does the DOD decide their ratings? What information do they go off of to determine their ratings?

I never understood why DOD ratings always seem to be lower than VA ratings. How does the DOD decide their ratings? What information do they go off of to determine their ratings?
Within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, the DoD doesn't provide any PEB disability rating percentages. As such, the DoD must adopt (e.g., accept) the DoVA disability "proposed" ratings as determined by the DoVA D-RAS for all DoD PEB-referred unfitting conditions.

Within the DoD LDES PEB process, the DoD provides the disability rating percentages for all PEB-referred unfitting medical conditions in accordance with the 38 CFR VASRD. As such, the DoD isn't obligated to accept any DoVA disability rating percentages as determined by the DoVA Rating Agency. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, the DoD doesn't provide any PEB disability rating percentages. As such, the DoD must adopt (e.g., accept) the DoVA disability "proposed" ratings as determined by the DoVA D-RAS for all DoD PEB-referred unfitting conditions.

Within the DoD LDES PEB process, the DoD provides the disability rating percentages for all PEB-referred unfitting medical conditions in accordance with the 38 CFR VASRD. As such, the DoD isn't obligated to accept any DoVA disability rating percentages as determined by the DoVA Rating Agency. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
Ahhhhh I get it now. Thanks!

Ahhhhh I get it now. Thanks!
Indeed, no worries; you are welcome! :) Take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!

One major reason for the difference in ratings is because you may be separating for PTSD, chronic back problems, an ed. The Va will rate you on everything. The military will only accept the ratings from the va for conditions that would terminate your military service. So in most cases, as was my case, chronic back problems are not considered to be career ending