How much should I expect

mrich

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got discharged at 0% but immediately 50% from VA. I was then increased to 100% plus special monthly compensation. Should i expect 100% retirement as well or just the standard 30%? I was discharged in 03/2006 as an E-4 with 2.8 years of service?

Based on the info you provided:

—You receive zero retirement since you were discharged @ 0%.
—You now receive from the VA 100% plus a SMC

You will receive funds only from the VA based on your info. You are not eligible for CRSC if that was one of your concerns.
Good luck...

Note: If you have an appeal/application pending, there is no way to accurately predict what the results will produce. However, regardless of the result, if you are given a retirement percentage, you will have to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. You might be eligible for CRSC in that case.

Last edited:
Based on the info you provided:

—You receive zero retirement since you were discharged @ 0%.
—You now receive from the VA 100% plus a SMC

You will receive funds only from the VA based on your info. You are not eligible for CRSC if that was one of your concerns.
Good luck...
This was in response to my PDBR status review as well. I was inquiring about my new retirement status level

Thank you; that info was not available in this thread. I added the following to my post a few minutes ago:

Note: If you have an appeal/application pending, there is no way to accurately predict what the results will produce. However, regardless of the result, if you are given a retirement percentage, you will have to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. You might be eligible for CRSC in that case.

Thank you; that info was not available in this thread. I added the following to my post a few minutes ago:

okay so are you saying i am not eligible for retirement pay and VA pay concurrently?

Based on your posted info...no. See https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

You can apply for CRSC if you feel you qualify (once you have a DOD rating of 30% or more which results in Retired Pay for a CH 61).
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
I believe i would fall under this category. Thanks for the link

• you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
I believe i would fall under this category. Thanks for the link
Unfortunately, that is a commom misconception.

You said you had 2.8 yrs AD. For what other military retirement do you qualify? The law/rule you cited most often applies to reservists who qualify upon reaching age ~60, and previously had a CH 61 retirement.

Based on the info available, you do not qualify for CRDP. Your situation is not rare.

CRSC: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

I should add that the provision also applies to TERA and regular retirees. The key is being qualified for another retirement.

Example: Regular retiree with 20 years or more AD and receives a CH 61 retirement. Just one example...