I can work but it takes a toll on me mentally. What does this mean to the VA?

Can anyone relate? I was recently medically retired at 100 percent (70 for mental issues(social anxiety, depression) the rest for physical issues.)
I want to take a break and try to get better before trying to seek employment again.
I can hold down a job but it leaves me depressed and on the verge of tears after my shift. Spending Easter with my gf and her family makes me feel like I'm not even there. I just sit there as everyone else naturally talks with each other. Anyway,
I can delegate, be in meetings and play it off like my demeanor is serious, focused on the job and all that.. Physically I play it cool but on the inside my mind is telling me to get the hell out of there.
I guess my question is, what does it mean to the VA to be able to hold a job? Can I seek employment? Sure, but at the cost of my mental health.
Is the VA that understanding? Or all they care about is whether you can work, no matter how taxing it is on your mental health?

AFOddJob

Registered Member
If you are looking for something to do, you could volunteer your time at food banks or other community organizations. Are you looking for increased income? What would be your purpose for working?

If you are looking for something to do, you could volunteer your time at food banks or other community organizations. Are you looking for increased income? What would be your purpose for working?
I have pretty bad social anxiety. Is there any volunteer work that doesn't involve people? Like maybe after hours or something?

Chaps_Z

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
VA compensation, regardless of percentage, doesn't prohibit you from employment.

It is free from certain income restrictions like SSDI, for example.

Chaps_Z

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
CC,

True, I was basing my response of his saying he could work a job but with consequences.

IU would be a result of failed attempt(s) to continue to work and, of course, working again after that classification would result in a drop.

CC,

True, I was basing my response of his saying he could work a job but with consequences.

IU would be a result of failed attempt(s) to continue to work and, of course, working again after that classification would result in a drop.

I'm still Active Military so I don't have all my info but based off the paperwork that I was given I am rated a combined amount of 100 percent for service connected reasons. At the moment though it's a temporary retirement from the military so I need to do a follow up. I've been struggling with mental health issues for over 7 years so if they think I'm going to get better within in the next 18 months then, I hope they're right. I will try to be as proactive as possible to try to get better while taking a break from work.

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
I hope I’m wrong, but it’s been my experience that they don’t really care about our mental health. I’ve been inpatient twice and seeing Va psychiatrists and therapists for 2 years. They seem to want to give me the minimum meds, zero diagnostic evaluations, and max amount of downplay my symptoms in their notes. They haven’t tried to lower my ratings or anything but I have to get very vocal to get anything changed at all. Last time it was sleep meds I had 8 hours sleep in 7 days and the last night before my VA appointment I had zero sleep. I yelled a bit in the shrinks office about how I could not continue to live without sleep, finally he took me off the weak ass sleep meds and have me something stronger. I sleep like a baby now comparatively but it took me yelling and a crazy look in my eye to accomplish it. Had it been an average visit he would have done absolutely nothing to help me.

I hope I’m wrong, but it’s been my experience that they don’t really care about our mental health. I’ve been inpatient twice and seeing Va psychiatrists and therapists for 2 years. They seem to want to give me the minimum meds, zero diagnostic evaluations, and max amount of downplay my symptoms in their notes. They haven’t tried to lower my ratings or anything but I have to get very vocal to get anything changed at all. Last time it was sleep meds I had 8 hours sleep in 7 days and the last night before my VA appointment I had zero sleep. I yelled a bit in the shrinks office about how I could not continue to live without sleep, finally he took me off the weak ass sleep meds and have me something stronger. I sleep like a baby now comparatively but it took me yelling and a crazy look in my eye to accomplish it. Had it been an average visit he would have done absolutely nothing to help me.

That's really sad to hear. That's what I'm worried about when I get out. I've been on so many meds and I've asked about alternate methods like TMS but they want to keep giving me anti depressants. hopefully I have a good experience dealing with the VA

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">