I need some advice on my MEB case.

bostonian94

Registered Member
I am active duty Air Force reaching my two year mark in May, and I have little to no guidance from my providers or command on how the medboard process works.

My MEB was submitted around August 2017, finally got in touch with my PEBLO in late November. I signed the paperwork agreeing to the IDES in December before the holiday break. I was informed last week that my PEBLO is waiting for my medical records (he put in the request 1 December) so that he can schedule my VA appointments. Let me be clear that I have not been able to meet with my PEBLO and ask any questions.

From my extremely limited understanding of the process, my paperwork was to be forwarded to the IPEB NLT February 24. My real question is whether or not I am being medically retired. Will I not know until I go to my VA appointments? Or have they already decided my rating will be 30% or greater? I am trying to plan my future accordingly, and the difference between being medically retired and simply separated is fairly significant.

Livonce

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am active duty Air Force reaching my two year mark in May, and I have little to no guidance from my providers or command on how the medboard process works.

My MEB was submitted around August 2017, finally got in touch with my PEBLO in late November. I signed the paperwork agreeing to the IDES in December before the holiday break. I was informed last week that my PEBLO is waiting for my medical records (he put in the request 1 December) so that he can schedule my VA appointments. Let me be clear that I have not been able to meet with my PEBLO and ask any questions.

From my extremely limited understanding of the process, my paperwork was to be forwarded to the IPEB NLT February 24. My real question is whether or not I am being medically retired. Will I not know until I go to my VA appointments? Or have they already decided my rating will be 30% or greater? I am trying to plan my future accordingly, and the difference between being medically retired and simply separated is fairly significant.
You won’t know until the va rates you and the peb determines what they deem unfitting .

denmom117

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
While you are waiting to meet with your PEBLO I would start reading and get very familiar with AFI 36-3212. It can help answer several of your questions. Also do a search for IDES timeline Air Force, it will give you a flow chart of how things work.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You will not know for a long time. It is difficult, to not know, but remember everyone who has been in this process has walked in your shoes. You can thrive in the next chapter of life.

I recommend you look through all the VA Disability Benefit Questionnaires (DBQs). If any apply to you, print them out and complete them. Doing this now; it will allow you the opportunity to complete the forms while looking up definitions and having access to records.

Also look in the resource section of this website. Find the "MSD." It tell you what conditions are unfit in the USAF

Lastly look at the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). The CFR will explain the compensation for your conditions through the VA.

ruyehara47

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’ve just been medically retired, so I know this process can be very frustrating. Hang in there. As Denmom and Chaplin have suggested, read the AFI and the docs I’m the resource section. Also search for the site militarydisabilitymadeeasy, it breaks down the conditions into layman’s terms. Find the DBQ for your condition and mark everything that matches up with your condition. THat way when you go in for your VA exams, you know exactly what the examiner will be looking for.

CW2_PBO

Registered Member
Maxamize this website, you are in the VERY early phase of this. ensure you use a lawyer. I would also get my own copies of my medical records. Most Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) will put this on CD for you. You want to check the CD to make sure information is not missing. Once the PEBLO has your information, a VA representative will contact you to start the VA medical process. Just like ChaplinCharlie said, familiarize yourself with the DBQ so you know what questions are going to be asked. You can easily shoot yourself in the foot if you answer a questions wrong, or you downgraded the seriousness of your condition.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">